The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Knock Sensor ooze

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffGS-T97

Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2019
Muncie, Indiana
I have a couple issues finding concrete answers on the this sensor. I'm having all the symptoms of a bad knock sensor. Yet my car displays 1 CEL which is the speed sensor circuit. I pulled the knock to inspect it and it has ooze coming out the back of the sensor. I have read that means it is defective. Before i go off on the hunt for a reliable sensor what is the ohm resistance tolerance for it so i can make sure I actually need it?

I have a couple issues finding concrete answers on the this sensor. I'm having all the symptoms of a bad knock sensor. Yet my car displays 1 CEL which is the speed sensor circuit. I pulled the knock to inspect it and it has ooze coming out the back of the sensor. I have read that means it is defective. Before i go off on the hunt for a reliable sensor what is the ohm resistance tolerance for it so i can make sure I actually need it?
That probably won't flag acode. Electrically it can still be fine but physically it isn't. If its leaking goo it needs to be replaced. There have been recent threads on finding a replacement.

Yeah i think its the solution that keeps everything together inside and from heat and vibration they melt im guessing. But its supposed to be a good sign they need to be replaced which in a way is very useful. First I've heard of it anyway. Where did you get your spares?

That probably won't flag acode. Electrically it can still be fine but physically it isn't. If its leaking goo it needs to be replaced. There have been recent threads on finding a replacement.
The knock sensor someone had recommended was a KS32 does that sound like the right one?

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you that don't know, this is what a good vs bad knock sensor looks like.
If the goo is melted just replace it (if you can find one)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So with that being said. Does anyone know who still sells some GOOD ones? ROFL Cause oem, and RockAuto ones are discontinued.

RTM doesn't "make" them. It's simply an OEM sensor for another car that is effectively the same as ours (note, 1G), but with a shorter wire length.

IF there is any oozing the sensor is bad. Most times it does not even throw a code but will make the sensor very sensitive and cause it to read knock and pull timing when there isn't any knock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back