The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Knock Sensor in a n/t?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetSleeper34

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2004
Dubuque, Iowa
Someone put a bug in my ear that it is possible for a n/t to have a knock sensor and highly beneficial if your are running high compression with adjustable cam gears and plan on using nitrous (large shots). I was hoping someone on here could let me know how this is possible without using a turbo ECU and whether or not this would be a good measuring tool, or at least to tell if something was wrong internally.

This all came about when using a datalogger, a single knock came up on the screen. We were all very confused by this :confused: , but then wondered if it were possible to actually have a sensor that read knock in a n/t. After asking around, a few non-dsm racers had mentioned that they use a sensor to measure knock, because of the threat that bumping up your compression can cause severe knock, and in some cases very catistrophic damage. So I just thought I would mention this to see if this is worth pursuing or not. Obviously this is a technical question, so I am relying on the responses to be from people who actually understand this and can give some advice. Thanks. :thumb:

TooSlowGSX92 said:
the 4g63 noturbo motor does have a knock sensor

No... no there really isn't.

Street Sleeper - If you really want, you can be a test pig. I'm not sure if the n/t ECU supports the knock feature or not, but I believe it does not. My reasoning is if the turbo ECU can't get a knock signal, it will automatically set the knock count to 7 and keep it at that figure. The n/t ECU keeps knock at zero. Yet who knows if a knock sensor can actually work?!

Try this, get a knock sensor used from a yard or a parts car. There is a spot already tapped in your n/t block for it. Cut the harness plug on the end of the knock sensor wires and expose the 2 wires. One can be grounded to the chassis and the other should run to pin 9 on the ECU. See what happens. It can't hurt the car nor will it hurt your wallet.

That was what I was leaning toward doing, cause I know that 1g n/t's that have swtiched over to turbo simply screw in the sensor, since there is already a spot for it on our blocks, but then their new turbo ECU's have the correct pin to support it. I did notice however that pocketlogger.com carries a knock box that can simply mount on our dashes. This takes the reading from the sensor and displays it digitally. This could be a more effective way for me to get an accurate count. :thumb: Do you think that it would be benefitial to try this route...is knock something that I should be concerned with?

N/T 1G ECUs are not equipped to handle the knock sensor input. The primary function of the knock sensor is to allow the ECU to pull timing if a certain knock count is detected. Unless you've rebuilt the motor with some insane high CR like 13:1 or something, a knock sensor on a N/T is useless.
As far as screwing one into a N/T block, there's a little more to it - you have to tap the hole. It's there but not tapped.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back