The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Knock sensor location and wiring?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig13

Proven Member
Mar 25, 2020
Surprise, Arizona
I recently purchased my 97 GST and am in the process of sorting out the rats nest of a wiring job that the car currently has. I discovered a wire in very poor condition that broke off of what appears to be a knock sensor. The problem (and question) is that the sensor screws into the block directly underneath the exhaust manifold on the front side of the engine. Every reference I have found states that the knock sensor should be on the back side underneath the intake. Photos are attached for reference. The last photo shows the only part of the wiring that went to the sensor that appears to be factory. The rest is hoodrich. Any help in positively identifying this would be appreciated. Thanks!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

VERY important part and it does screw into a boss under the intake. Wherever it was on the front (exhaust) side, if it is a 4g63 motor, was not the right spot and yes its in terrible shape but you better hang on to it until you can source another.
MAYBE...MAYBE....Salvageable but you can't find them anymore.

Awesome man! I really appreciate it. Yes it is a 4G63 which is why I was so confused! I will have to relocate it after I figure out how to wire it back together (whether I try to resuse this one or source another somehow). What's weird is when the wire broke the check engine light never came on. I assume it would have but may be wrong.

Idt it was wired right from the little info I have seen. It goes nowhere near a heat source and is on the intake side of the 4g63.

Where was it screwed in at if I might inquire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly when my knock sensor went bad last year I put a evo sensor in. They don't read exactly the same but my car is a e85 only car so almost completely ignore the knock sensor and read the plugs anyway.

If its this spot, it was 180* away from where it is supposed to be LOL. And seeing way to much heat so that helped break down the wiring which is a shielded wire as you can see.

If its this spot, it was 180* away from where it is supposed to be LOL. And seeing way to much heat so that helped break down the wiring which is a shielded wire as you can see.

Yup! That's where it was! So I guess my question now is how do I wire it back up after I move it? There were two wires coming out of the main harness that were spliced into a single wire that went to the sensor. Is there supposed to be a plug in harness coming off the sensor as well? This wire job is going to be the death of me.

@ThunderChild has the right location, you might be able to purchase the plug for it thru Sheridan Engineering, OHM Racing or any of the vendors that may offer our sensor plugs. I will see if I can find the correct plug for you here in a bit.

This is the harness side for the knock sensor..........
http://connectors.sheridanengineering.com/NMWP2F-GY.htm

@brads , what is the corresponding male connector, for the SENSOR side for a 2g knock sensor?
I need one myself, like this member does.

Thanks,
Marty

If we can't find the corresponding male connector, you and I could always use any 2 prong connector (like a trailer wiring plug, etc) and rewire the harness and the sensor itself.

If we can't find the corresponding male connector, you and I could always use any 2 prong connector (like a trailer wiring plug, etc) and rewire the harness and the sensor itself.
This is true. I just don't want half of the harness to be hardwired like it is now. I've found it to be fairly easy actually to find the female harness side (which I do still need). I would assume that if we could find a new sensor it would have the male side as well? Wishful thinking haha.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

I have that male connector for the knock sensor, it just isn't on the website. But it is for sale.
I've actually added quite a few connectors to the inventory, just don't have time to put them all on the site.

PM sent!
Thanks

I looked on all of my sensors, including 1 original but used one, and can't find any markings on any of them.
I've said this before, SMP produces those sensors in my home town but I can't get them to run a batch or get ahold of the schematics.....yet

Go online and do a search for 1997 Mitsubishi eclipse wiring diagram. Section 4-10 will show you the color wires and their orientation in the connector. Its connector a-05. Good luck.You have the correct wires.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back