The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

####kkkk!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91TSI505

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2003
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
I was on my way home from work tonight and.....I was in 2nd gear hit full boost,the car started to hesitate a quick second and then POP.....i looked in my rearview and there was white smoke EVERYWHERE!!!I'm not talkin about a little i mean i covered the street in smoke!!!as soon as that happened i turned and went to a friends house...i watched my gauges on the way there and nothing different,no overheating...the car ran fine after that but i could make no boost and the car had no power......The car didn't jump time or anything,its still ran normal.I parked it right away and shut it off.I'm really stressin right now,this car is the only car i have and i'm not sure wht to even think right now...i don't know if it is head gasket,piston,or what.Was i running to much boost?Should i go ahead and consider a rebuild with better internals?if so what parts should i use in a daily driver,I know whatever it is is pretty serious.....i could really really use some help.....Thanks everyone:cry:

P.S. my car only has 100K on it

if you heard a loud pop, and saw white smoke, it sounds like you blew your head gasket. Check to see if you have lost any coolant. Also check your oil to see if their is any coolant mixed in with it.

No coolant in my oil,i'm not leaking coolant either...i am leaking a little oil but not enough to be a head gasket,car was not overheating or running bad at all.I have seen friends blow head gaskets on there cars and they did not smoke very much at all....i on the other hand had a spy hunter smoke screen.I am pretty sure that i blew the turbo and not the head gasket,especially after reading about everyone who had the same expierences with there DSM's...i am leaving in a minute to check the turbo,i will keep you posted,thanks for concern.

Originally posted by 91TSI505
POP.....i looked in my rearview and there was white smoke EVERYWHERE!!!I'm not talkin about a little i mean i covered the street in smoke!!!as soon as that happened i turned and went to a friends house...

I parked it right away and shut it off.

Bad dog. ANY TIME a motor, gearbox or driveline makes a _wrong_ noise -the kind that makes your asshole bite a divot out of your upholstery- STOP THE CAR. Find out what's wrong BEFORE TURNING ONE MORE REVOLUTION.

Originally posted by jott5555
im bettin turbo but do a compression check just to make sure then pull the turbo and look for shaft play

doode a blown turbo would have dark blackish smoke if i am not mistaken.....:confused:

OK i took the exhaust mani,O2 housing,turbo etc off the car and at the fins on the intake side of the turbo turned fine.....but the fins on the exhust side(what was left of them)would not move an inch....and they were completely eaten up so i guess that solves that,i will be getting a big 16g on thursday with an evo exhaust manifold and SS oil lines,changing the oil/coolant,etc.Now the question is.....
-Do i need to buy the gaskets seperetly,if so where/which ones(OEM?)?
-Should i go ahead and replace the O2 sensor?
-Should i get the 02 eliminator DP while i have everything off?
-What boost should i run off the B16g with the mods i have listed,new DP,Ext mani,255 FP?Should i break it in,if so how long?
-Will the Evo exhaust manifold fit my car with out porting anything?
-Does 5+5=10?.....J/K
Please let me know if there is anything i am missing.Thanks alot for everyone's help with this,if you all didn't help me with this i would have thought it was head gasket or a piston and it would be at a shop right now and they would be thinking of how to rip me off,instead i'm learning more and more about my car,Thanks again
:thumb:

Update...here are some pics of my turbo after i pulled it off...

Ya thats a crack........hmmmm i wonder if i was losing power by that?

would love to here everyones opinion on how this happened,Thanks

You blew a chunk of something into the turbine. Missing any valve bits? Lose a piece of manifold? It probably has something to do with whatever took the nick out of your intake fan, or is that just dirt at 10:00 on your compressor?
The crack is normal and harmless.

Why did i get the spy hunter white smoke screen?My car ran fine other than not being able to boost,got vaccum but no boost...

When I blew my turbo, I had a friend follow me home from the track so I wouldn't cause any accidents with my smoke screen :)

Nothing like having to wash the car multiple times to get all the oil off of it:D

Trip to track $35 including gas
One meal at track $10.00
Replacement turbo $600+
Making sure a friend gets home, priceless.

Is that normal for a blown turbo(no turbine)????I'm pretty sure there is nothing else wrong with it,like i said it ran fine just no boost...Well i guess i will find out here in a few days:confused:

Originally posted by Defiant
You blew a chunk of something into the turbine. Missing any valve bits? Lose a piece of manifold? It probably has something to do with whatever took the nick out of your intake fan, or is that just dirt at 10:00 on your compressor?
Its coolant

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back