The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Kind of off topic but thinking of getting another degree just so I can help build custom parts for our cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
I'm about to graduate the end of this year with two STEM A.S.-T degrees (associate of transfer) that gives me a guaranteed spot in one of those big UCs (University of California) schools in mathematics and computer science. I been thinking that maybe I should get another degree in mechanical engineering as engineering, computer science, and mathematics all have the same major prep classes aside from a couple others. Is that a bit extreme to have the ability to build custom parts like transmissions and differentials that can handle high horsepower like 1000 + hp or do you think someone has to get a mechanical engineering degree to be able to build these parts right? I saw one guy on here rebuild his center differential because other companies didn't know what they were doing building one for high hp or do you think if you're smart enough you can figure out how to build these parts without a degree? I just don't like the fact that we are limited on options now it seems like for instance it appears the only transmission available to us now is a dogbox for high hp because companies quit making stage 5 transmissions for us and seems nobody knows how to build a strong center differential. Computer Science is basically engineering just focused on software but wouldn't mind getting another degree aimed at building mechanical parts.

A degree is not going to help you. Several wheelbarrow of hundreds that you don't care if you loose will help. To make a good go at making a gear set requires at least 100k in used broke ass equipment. Then you have to find a heat treat shop that won't laugh you out the door, or figure it out on your own. And you probably need to find a couple senior driveline engineers from somewhere to put on the payroll as well. It'll take you the 4 years of engineering school and then another 10+ to get the experience needed to design and build a transmission and be sucsessful the first go around. Or you can build and try many times until you get it right.

Probably need to buy an sae membership so you can get access to the journals and read about 1000 of them to pull any bit of details you can out of them. Nasa has a lot of good papers on the subject.

Engineering degree will give you just the tip of the iceberg of what you need to know to design these kind of things, but basically nothing in the way of manufacturing them.

I read about 3 sentences. Then said how are you getting a degree but can not type in paragraphs. Please use paragraphs. I didn’t even finish reading because it just became a big blur on my phone.

-Daniel

Not sure your age but I always take the approach of doing what you're passionate about. I don't think it's wise to do it just for us (DSM community) specifically but if your passion is designing/fabricating performance parts for cars then absolutely.

That being said, following your passion doesn't mean spending time in school getting a degree. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I went to school for 4 years trying to become one and not one class I took would really do much for you as it relates to fabricating parts. I think if it's something you're passionate about find the leaders in the industry and ask them how they got into it. A few might never respond but the one or two that do, their paths might be fairly close to the same and give you something to work towards.

Also asking some of the few in our community that do it, Paul @99gst_racer and Bobby @EC17PSE might have some good advice for you too.

From my experience, if you graduate with a mechanical engineering degree and want to be an actual engineer, your best bet is to go work for a big company right away so you can put all those fresh formulas and theory to good use. Personally I didn't do that, and all the formulas of calculating loads, material strengths, torques and all that jazz went out the window. However, what I was left with was a much better understanding of how things worked and the auto industry as a whole. Those theories are helping me down the line when making choices concerning modification, repair, choice of parts etc. They also helped me design a few things myself.

You really aren't going to be able to just get your degree and start making your own gearsets and gearboxes, UNLESS you are backed up by a serious amount of money, or are an indigo child. Like the others have said, trial and error as a layman would be a safer option but again, costing money. There's also two types of people; those much more mechanically inclined with their hands, and those which prefer to run the numbers and apply formulas to get a result which may not even be tangible. You need to figure out which type you are, but sometimes getting the degree can show you this.

Not sure if this helps but it's what I can share based on my experiences. Also, you're in the US, so it should be way easier for you to find an employer within the mechanical/auto engineering sector and you can give it a try. Good luck.

A degree is not going to help you. Several wheelbarrow of hundreds that you don't care if you loose will help. To make a good go at making a gear set requires at least 100k in used broke ass equipment. Then you have to find a heat treat shop that won't laugh you out the door, or figure it out on your own. And you probably need to find a couple senior driveline engineers from somewhere to put on the payroll as well. It'll take you the 4 years of engineering school and then another 10+ to get the experience needed to design and build a transmission and be sucsessful the first go around. Or you can build and try many times until you get it right.

Probably need to buy an sae membership so you can get access to the journals and read about 1000 of them to pull any bit of details you can out of them. Nasa has a lot of good papers on the subject.

Engineering degree will give you just the tip of the iceberg of what you need to know to design these kind of things, but basically nothing in the way of manufacturing them.
Spot on.

I will elaborate. I grew up before computers and I was always tinkering, trying to figire things out. First bicycles, then go carts then cars. I've been turning wrenches and doing projects my whole life. I have a bachelors in mechanical engineering as a result of that love of tinkering. I agreee its just the tip of the iceberg.

Not sure your age but I always take the approach of doing what you're passionate about. I don't think it's wise to do it just for us (DSM community) specifically but if your passion is designing/fabricating performance parts for cars then absolutely.

This, 100% this. Don't limit yourself to just us, but absolutely need to follow your passion. BUT, you need to make sure it's something you're gonna want to do every single day, for the rest of your life. I've followed a few "passions" that I ended up hating and found out they were best kept to hobbies.

Then I found EMS, and I haven't felt like I have worked a single day in my life. Every day I work on the ambulance feels like I'm goofing off/feels like a dream. Just be careful of hobbies vs actual passions, is my only advice.

One more bit of advice: Don't take anyones jaded ass opinion about what you should or shouldn't do either. Do the research, and pursue it on your OWN. Because if I listened to every jaded medic, or jaded nurse I never would've gotten into the medical field and I am so beyond happy that I did anyway. People are miserable and want you to be miserable too. Just my .02 cents.

mechanical might not be a good fit for what you’re describing. A lot of ME grads go on to HVAC and power generation careers. You might be better served by materials science, mechanics of materials, and that sort of study. As others have pointed out, I can’t think of any typical university course of study that prepares you for fabricating car parts.

I do think there is value in higher education. What you’re describing is more along the lines if vocational training. With modern equipment that is being widely embraced, I’d say get some education on computer drafting/ manufacturing.

That being said, following your passion doesn't mean spending time in school getting a degree. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I went to school for 4 years trying to become one and not one class I took would really do much for you as it relates to fabricating parts. I think if it's something you're passionate about find the leaders in the industry and ask them how they got into it. A few might never respond but the one or two that do, their paths might be fairly close to the same and give you something to work towards.

Also asking some of the few in our community that do it, Paul @99gst_racer and Bobby @EC17PSE might have some good advice for you too.
Weird this never tagged or notified me till i came across this thread reading it. Maybe a glitch but thanks for the mention

As some others have said the path you are going down is likely better if you go to a huge company to follow that passion. That will pay bills and then during that time you can tinker and make parts on the side for fun and if it turns into something then thats great but keep being positive about the course and hobb! Things can go south fast if it over works you and you get fed up with a specific part of the role.

I do my stuff on the side in my spare time after my full time job. I love to tinker and make things and always have done since a kid! Getting into welding and fabrication made a huge jump for me from what I could do vs now! I love it and yes we have days of meh but its worth it as I love doing it.

Years ago and i went to a show where I got pulled to one side by an F1 team because i was mega quick at changing a wheel in a pitstop and although at the time sounded great I knew being a wheel changer was not my calling LOL

I love getting dirty and welding and fab does me just fine.

For the ideas of transmissions its good if you can afford it from a development side of things. Its costly and takes alot of years to design one perfectly well. Big companys still struggle to make them now even LOL. Best of luck to you if you can pull it off.

There is a reason why there are xxx many shops making light fabrications for these cars, and 1 place making a marketable gearset for these cars. No offense to paul, he does nice work, but that might as well be the difference between making a paper airplane and a stealth bomber. There is about 1 good gearshop in the country for every 200 real machine shops, that's not counting the wannabes with a tormach or some other toy in their garage.

mechanical might not be a good fit for what you’re describing. A lot of ME grads go on to HVAC and power generation careers. You might be better served by materials science, mechanics of materials, and that sort of study. As others have pointed out, I can’t think of any typical university course of study that prepares you for fabricating car parts.

I do think there is value in higher education. What you’re describing is more along the lines if vocational training. With modern equipment that is being widely embraced, I’d say get some education on computer drafting/ manufacturing.
Probably depends a lot on where you go to school at. at little old SIU a lot went to aerospace since boeing was near us at st louis. When I was at WIU we had a lot get recruted to Cat and Deere, even though they didn't have a ME department at the time.

When I started at SIU you had to sort of get a few upper level classes in an area, fluids, controls, mechanics ect. The last year I was there they had a whole class fail controls and that requirement sort of dissapeared, and you could graduate without having any sort of upper level classes in a specific area. Talk about a disservice to the kids. Even before this to get any sort of real expertise in an area you had to go on for a masters, which would probably short cut about 5 years of work experience in that particular area.

Anyway, point is somewhere along the line kids get the idea when they graduate engineering school they know everything and are ready to go be lead engineer of the next space shuttle project, and it's simply not so. Once you graduate you are ready to get to the real learning.

+1 to what @bastarddsm said. OP - you are talking about a very specific application for the degree - design/manufacture of high end manual transmission gear sets. ME covers a whole crap ton of possibilities, and a degree in ME is only going to give you sufficient foundation to pursue a more specific field of application.

Honestly you don't need to obtain a ME degree of any stripe to pursue what you are talking about. All you need is the drive to do it, a decent public library system, and folks in the business willing to mentor you.... and $$$ to make it come to fruition.

Even if there was a degree program specifically to design and manufacture 1000+ hp manual transmission gearsets for DSMs, you'd still need the drive, $$$, and mentoring to make successful parts. Your first xxx sets will be put through testing to find design/metallurgic flaws and improvements.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back