The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Kiggly main girdle and studs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TupperWare

Probationary Member
May 6, 2020
Portland, Oregon
I got a built 2.4 stroker motor, I thought it already had arp mains and a kiggly girdle but I was wrong. I want to put a girdle in but it says to use studs but I don’t want to have to get it line honed. So I have a couple questions, is it possible to use the main girdle with stock bolts? And what’s the limit of the stock bolts if anyone has found it? Also if I can use main studs and torque them to the factory bolt spec (49 ftlb) can I avoid having to get it line honed?

is it possible to use the main girdle with stock bolts?
You shouldn't. Please refer the pic below. The Kiggly girdle has about 0.24" thickness, which means the stock main bolt's thread part would be 0.24" shorter and it would have about 30% less thread.

if I can use main studs and torque them to the factory bolt spec (49 ftlb) can I avoid having to get it line honed?
You shouldn't do that neither. It wouldn't work that way, two different style bolts and different material. Anyways even if you use the stock bolts, you would need to have the block line-honed if the main bearing bore is out of spec. I do understand that you don't want to disassemble the engine that is already built, but if you would want to install the kiggly girdle, I strongly recommend to get it done right.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
My block only has rods and pistons. Factory mains and no kiggly girdle on this setup. I had a long discussion about this with Kevin Jewer and Curt Brown a few years back on limitations of the hardware. Jewer said he didn’t see any crazy stuff on the main bearings until around 1k whp. He runs just studs no girdle. Curt pretty much said the same thing. If you were to take it to a machine shop to be honed correctly with arp studs and slapped the girdle in by all means it’s peace of mind you have fortified the bottom end. I have 2 seasons on my block bearings are fine and I’m in the ballpark of 7-750awhp. This is just my opinion my next block will have the arp hardware and kiggly girdle. Bastard has some good input I’ve seen as well but I don’t recall what exactly he said.

I run the girdles and studs and haven't line honed any blocks yet. I check them but haven't found any issues with the 3 that are running without a line hone and with the girdle. I am probably lucky but I triple check stuff. So far so good and shifting at 9300.

Thank you for the answers guys, so what’s the limit of the stock main bolts? When I was doing some digging I saw someone has gone 8s with stock main bolts? This is also going to be a street car btw

My block only has rods and pistons. Factory mains and no kiggly girdle on this setup. I had a long discussion about this with Kevin Jewer and Curt Brown a few years back on limitations of the hardware. Jewer said he didn’t see any crazy stuff on the main bearings until around 1k whp. He runs just studs no girdle. Curt pretty much said the same thing. If you were to take it to a machine shop to be honed correctly with arp studs and slapped the girdle in by all means it’s peace of mind you have fortified the bottom end. I have 2 seasons on my block bearings are fine and I’m in the ballpark of 7-750awhp. This is just my opinion my next block will have the arp hardware and kiggly girdle. Bastard has some good input I’ve seen as well but I don’t recall what exactly he said.
That makes me feel a lot better because for years I've felt like an idiot for not get the girdle because that's what everyone does etc.

I had “main cap fretting” on my last rebuild I just tore down, and from what I understand its one of the “main” things the girdle is supposed to prevent LOL, I believe that was from the act 2600. I think it’s mainly to increase rigidity of the caps when used with a heavy clutch, think about the high horsepower stock blocks that weren’t running girdles, but in a lot of high power builds people will obviously run heavier clutches so they definitely pair well

Thank you for the answers guys, so what’s the limit of the stock main bolts? When I was doing some digging I saw someone has gone 8s with stock main bolts? This is also going to be a street car btw
I’m not sure you will find a answer on this. We’ve seen multiple people on little 62mm turbos run 8s and guys on 42Rs barely crack 9s but there is a substantial difference in power. I’ve never seen a post where someone broke any of the main bolts I’m all in to be proven wrong. The only example I can go off of is Kevin taking them up to 1k go which 99.9% will never push that far. I just slapped a super99 on my car so if my motor survives or breaks because of factory main bolts I won’t be shy to share my results.

This is not something black and white. Nobody can't exactly tell you the limit. You may be able to run 8s w/ 800hp sometimes, but you may not be able to run one endurance racing w/ 600hp. It would depend how much perfection you would want in your engine and/or how much/how long you want the engine hold/last. If you can go with the stock bolts or not, then Yes you can absolutely go.
As for the line-hone w/ ARP studs, If you can go without it or not, then Yes you can. But if you should or not, then No you shouldn't go without it in case if you want the engine more reliable. It's about a theory. It's just a theory but a theory. The engine is build based on the theory so. In general, more perfection = more reliability, more durability. It's not if you can or can't.

As for the kiggly girdle, you guys are probably talking about as if it's on a 2.0, but the OP stated he has a 2.4 (Maybe he meant a 2.3). The story would be a bit different if it's on a 2.0 or a stroker. If on a 2.0, the case is similar to the stock bolt I mentioned above. it's totally not a must item, it's a reinforce item. You can absolutely run without it. It's just beneficial if you have it.
But on a stroker, the story would be a bit different. IMO, he should have the girdle if he would like to make more power. Especially if he said it's a 2.4 is true, since all 5 caps are separate.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back