The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

AEM [Resolved] Kiggly 12T + AEM infinity spark timing way off, Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
Hey everybody. I'm desperately trying to get the 2g 95 TSI going after rebuilt here. I installed the kiggly 12t trigger disk in order to resolve the difficult starting/misfiring issue. I hacked off the long cam sensor key and input 12T hall crank with 1T hall cam into the ECU trigger settings. My spark timing is set to be at 10 degrees BTDC when cranking and I logged to confirm that's what the ecu is trying for.

Here's a picture of where my crank is when No.1 fires now.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's either about 120° advanced or 240° retarded.

Should I just go into the spark timing wizard and adjust the base spark timing until it matches at 10° on the crank or is there something else wrong here? It seems really weird that it's so far off when im pretty sure everything is installed/input correctly.

I'm worried that whatever is causing the spark timing to be this off may also cause the injector timing to be off. Will adjusting the base timing effect the injector timing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah. I keep forgetting, but when I connect the infinity I get a message on my laptop saying

"channel not found - crank per cam."
But I have my crank and cam sensors both plugged in.

Thank you bastarddsm! I Will try this today, I hope it works.
That's really cool that you developed your own software for it. I've heard of a few people figuring out how to run it with different software. I heard the company AEM outsources development to has their own version of the software that works better. I wouldn't mind trying some different software, just putting all of my values in if a reload doesn't work. I can't remember where I saw that now though.

Last edited:
I reloaded my base files twice. Even after reloading a different save of base files I'm still getting the missing channel message (ELA timing error) and I'm still getting a 6 o'clock spark on cylinder 1. I'm at a loss here.

You need to change CAM_SyncAdjustment so that the spark is close, then use CRANK_TrigOffset [degBTDC] to get it perfect. That should be in the aem document I linked. It may be aemized. https://enginelab.net/documentation/#Ignition_Trigger_Setup_EAL
Remember that with a 12 and 1 setup, the ecu uses the cam trigger to say, next crank tooth is the sync point. You use the CAM_SyncAdjustment to tell it which one after is closet to 0*. So this number should be between 1 and 24. Then, CRANK_TrigOffset is how far from 0* it is. That should be between -15 to +15. If it needs to be outside this range you need to change the cam sync. Also remember that if you move your cam trigger, you could change the sync tooth. So be careful of that.

The instructions are not very clear on this. I didn't use the aem stuff much. Basically just enough to make sure my wiring harness worked. Also Enginelab does have a model you can build for this, but I don't think it is complete, nor is it for beginning users.

Mine is just too heavily optimised for my setup to share.

Thank you! I spent all day yesterday trying to find if there was a cam sync option in the infinity like that. That's exactly what I was hoping I could do. I'll try that out today. Hopefully I can get her going. That link is helpful but when I try to find where the cam sync option is in infinity tuner, I can't find it. Weather it's online or in the software but I'll do my best looking!
I just saw a video where they go over this pretty much exact situation and they have the infinity hooked to a motor on a universal crank trigger, that's getting like 120° of advance, they just retard the timing until it matches in the ignition wizard, so I might just try that. I guess the infinity can sort it all out from there. If that doesn't work I'll look harder for the cam sync adjustment channel.
I can't remember the brand, but they're offshore and they do the software development for AEM apparently they release a program that is almost identical to infinity tuner but it's their own and its usually a version newer than the current infinity tuner.

Last edited:
Engine lab is based in boulder colorado, and is who creates the infinity hardware and software. AEM had EL make a AEMized version of elconsole for them to distribute with the infinity. AEM creates the models (control strategy and calibrations) for the different applications. AEM also locks shit and some of the models you can open with elconsole, others you can't. You could possible use elconsole to edit your calibrations and models if needed, but you will need to go back to v96, which is 10yrs old now, and that is way outside of the scope that you need to do here.

the aem document I linked talks about the crank sync setup.

Lastly GEMS is who did the old aem ecu's and I beleive they are austrailia based.

That is exactly what I was thinking about. Idk why I thought it was offshore. But this problem has been resolved! Thank you so much for your help bastarddsm!

For anyone running into a similar issue. I'll show you what I did.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I added the cam sync adjustment channels as both a text box and a slider. You could just use the text box, but basically exactly as bastarddsm said. When I added it I selected a maximum of 12 increments for the 12 teeth of the crank trigger it ended up requiring an offset of 8.9 (second guess) which resulted in pretty near exactly 10° of crank timing. I didn't even have to adjust the base timing. The car fired right up, quicker than it ever has!

That was what I kinda thought. I think you can set the minimum increment but I just left it default which I guess is 0.1. It would make sense to go by whole teeth then do the fine adjustment with the ignition sync, but I was using the slider and just happened to get it within a degree or 2 at 8.9 teeth.

Idk if it would make a difference to go to 9 teeth and adjust with the ignition sync. But the way it happened is almost ideal because I wanted to minimize unnecessary cranking of the new build.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back