The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Kenworth guys! Light question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHerron

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
Missoula, Montana
I know this is a longshot but do we have any heavy equipment guys here? Anyone can input here since lighting is lighting anyway, but maybe someone has seen this in the truck world

I have a t800 (2003?) at the shop and observed the weirdest thing. You hit the AUX light switch (ones that line the top and bottom of the cab) and takes up to 2 minutes for the lights to come on. But once they're on, they're on like normal and never cut out. Then I can hit the switch off and they turn off like normal. Only problem is, like I said, takes up to two minutes for the lights to come on. It shouldn't be a delay type circuit but maybe I'm wrong.

The lights are all LED, fuses/circuit breakers are good, and have swapped any relay associated with the lights.

I don't know if its new enough, but some of our 2007 kw's have a module that helps control the lighting. If it doesn't have a module for the lights, I would suspect maybe a low voltage situation from the switch to the relay. If the voltage is too low, it could cause a delay when switching the relay. Could also be a multifunction/turn signal switch. These trucks seem to run all the lighting through the multifunction switch. Also check your flash to pass switch if it has one.

Thanks. Dumbest thing, it was the switch being the problem. I hadn't seen or even considered that being the problem in the past since the suckers cost $52 new (figured they'd be durable for a long time) but I was wrong. First time that happened. And if that wasn't dumb enough, next thing was the headlight switch! One switch after another, very weird. But it's all good now and the drivers' happy.

Yeah we have a POS Sterling vactruck that I have to change the turn signal switch out on sometime. That's when I was educated on how every lighting function including brake lights went through that switch.

I haven't looked at the Kenworth turn signal switch diagram yet but I wouldn't doubt it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back