The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

keep it or junk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tharnold

Probationary Member
Apr 13, 2013
Colchester, Vermont
Hello,
got a 97 eclipse N/T 2.0. I know theres not much I can do with it..but I like it. Is it worth buying a rebuilt engine or just junk it?

Attachments

• me and car.jpg
    me and car.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 62
  • tommy and car.jpg
    tommy and car.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 65
If you don't want it and the shell doesn't have rust, just needs a motor, sell it and put the money towards a turbo model if you want one. Someone will buy it.

Looks like someone put a decent amount of time into it. Id sell it to someone who will appreciate it and buy yourself a 4G63 Powered car.

Even tho it is all f&f someone did put some time into it. What is your goal with this car? Do you want to drive it daily? weekend cruiser? drag? If you don't care about horse power then a stock rebuild will do. If you want horse power on a budget buy a 4g63 and sell it. I built a 420a motor and I am way happy with it but i put about 6-7k in the engine bay. Search for upgrade paths for the 420a and read up, this will give you a good idea if you want a stock rebuild/sell/modify your car.

Hello,

Car looks pretty nice.

I'd probably keep it and build it as I wanted. It appears from the the photo you have a young one tagging along for the ride...could make for a nice father/son project that the two of you could spend some quality time on.

Make a decision as to what your goals are then stick with it, no matter what the cost, and build something with your little one in the photos that both you and he can be proud of.

Best Regards,
Justin

you guys made my day thank you so much! I have put so much time into this car. I am a HUGE fan of the fast and furious LOL. My son and I watched the first movie when the gang shot up the eclipse and blew it up..my son freaked out and I told him " Daddys gonna fix it up like new..promise" I know I shouldnt watch those movies with him...Its edited and I hide his eyes from the violent parts...he loves the racing. here is a pick before I did work....

Before pic. It was beat up bad. Blown head gasket when I got it.

Attachments

• red eclipse.jpg
    red eclipse.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 65
Don't see that pic try it again. And thats awesome about you and your son. I have a 5 month old daughter and im hoping she loves cars as much as i do. If you have any questions about aftermarket parts or upgrades with the motor feel free to pm me. I would be glad to help answer anything your not sure about. I have had three 420a's which i have put so much money into I could have had a 600hp+ 4g63 LOL.

Its cool to see people sharing their love of cars with their kids.
Glad to see you're going to keep it.

It may not be my tastes, but that's cool as shit you sharing your passion with your son. Grab a junkyard 420a, make sure it's all good, refresh it where needed, throw it in and drive it/enjoy it. Pick up a beat up 4G63T equipped DSM later on down the road, and choose that as the father/son project. Build it up slow, teach him and yourself how to do things the proper way. Build it, learn the whole "Cheap, fast, reliable, pick two", race it, enjoy it, enjoy the memories with your son.

I'd build it up, looks like the body is in really good shape so there'd be no reason to junk it there. My daughter loves helping me with my car. She is three years old now, and two weeks ok I pulled my motor for rebuild. Throughout the entire weekend she was grabbing tools trying to help me loosen bolts. :)

Always makes me smile, since I try not to take time away from family while working on my car.

What's wrong with the engine in it? Why can't you just rebuild it? Shouldn't cost that much really.. If you decide to sell it people "usually" pay more for a running car ;)

psting pic of engine in a sec...the only thing "wrong" with the engine now..is the oil leak and 150,000 miles...previous owner never tuned up and did not change oil when they should have. but after the head gasket blew and got that fixed it runs great. thinking about rebuilding it. Is it safe to purchase a rebuilt engine? thank you all for the positive feedback. you scratch my back..I'll scratch yours ;)

Looks to me like this car has been taken cared of very good and it's got sentimental value to it. What I would do is remove the engine and rebuild it yourself along with your son. It should be pretty cheap as far as parts go, and that way you know it's been done right. That's if you're trying to stay stock. Good luck to you.

You should just put in the 4g63t in and sell the motor that you have in it now. Use that money to buy the turbo engine and you have an eclipse gst :D looks like you put hard work into it. Keep it and do the motor swap.looks good

psting pic of engine in a sec...the only thing "wrong" with the engine now..is the oil leak and 150,000 miles...previous owner never tuned up and did not change oil when they should have. but after the head gasket blew and got that fixed it runs great. thinking about rebuilding it. Is it safe to purchase a rebuilt engine? thank you all for the positive feedback. you scratch my back..I'll scratch yours ;)

If its just an oil leak, find our where its leaking from and fix it.

There's a good amount of N/A tuning you can do to make the 420A more potent. Not fast, per se, but decent. And the greatest thing about an N/A engine is there's no lag at all.

I'd rebuild it. That would give you the opportunity to do some power adders like high-compression and possibly increasing stroke (I'm not familiar with the options for this on the 420A). You can run crazy high compression on an N/A engine since you don't have to worry about boost.

You can also look into flow improvements with the intake, and possibly a cold air intake too. Those can be decent power adders on any car.

Like I said earlier I would rebuild it. Do you want to rebuild it stock, turbo, or n/a

Stock rebuild would not cost you much time or money to do.

Turbo rebuild takes a little more time and money, but can be well worth it. No a 420a is not the same as a 4g63, but a turbo 420a is also just as capable as reaching 600whp doing it the proper way. If you need info on turbo 420a check through the turbo threads for n/a.

Other option is to go all motor, meaning keeping your n/a but building a stronger block ported head and high compression. Going this route you can be safe to expect 230whp done right, and have no lag from boost and intense response.

Ultimately if you like the car, and it looks in good condition then I would keep it but the decision is your own. What made up my mind with my car was it was my first dsm and it needed A LOT of work when I bought it, so I took it upon myself to build it and continue building it for my own personal fulfilment of not giving up on this project.

Good luck bud, and snap lots of pictures.

Mi"sma;153248377 said:
Other option is to go all motor, meaning keeping your n/a but building a stronger block ported head and high compression. Going this route you can be safe to expect 230whp done right, and have no lag from boost and intense response.

This is not nearly as easy as you think OP and not to mentioned that much more $$ would be needed to achieve this. At that point, your better off selling and finding something else.

here is a pic of the engine...DC Sports headers..AEM intake.

sorry HERE are the pics

i know its a real bad motor...runs great!

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 37
  • engine headers.jpg
    engine headers.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 45
Just keep reading. I have close to 7k under the Hood and I'm close to 190hp at the crank not even to the wheels. 2gnt.com has great info on our cars too

Sell it for what it's worth and buy a decent shape turbo model... trust me

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back