The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

K&N Valve Cover Breather Filter? [Merged 8-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1FlyTsiVT

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2003
VermontUS
"mini cone intake" thing on the side of the valve cover, and what function does thsi serve?

I know this is a old topic, but for any future people who read this don't do the fuel filter mod. get a restriction in that line and you'll be payiing for new valve stem seals. I tend to see that running a hose to the ground is a better alternative

mtwollet said:
I know this is a old topic, but for any future people who read this don't do the fuel filter mod. get a restriction in that line and you'll be payiing for new valve stem seals. I tend to see that running a hose to the ground is a better alternative

i have had this mod on shortly after i bought my car (a 98 purchased nov. 97) with no ill effects. no burnt oil smell either. although you DO HAVE TO CHANGE the filter regularly. i replace mine with every oil change.

jim

Why spend 10 bucks for a filter you're going to have to replace when you can run a vaccum line to the ground, not to mention if you are tight on money and can't deal with a drip of oil on your concrete/blacktop/gravel use a hydrogen peroxide bottle to catch the oil, I found they are a little more resistant to heat than alchol bottles. Looks a little ricer, but it will do the job.

the fuel filter is $3 anywhere. if you can't afford that every 2-3 months, then sell your car now before something breaks and costs a lot more. and if you want oil mist sprayed all over the bottom of your car...go ahead and run that vacuum line to the ground.

jim

neuralracing said:
How far down do you guys run the line?

Mine goes down so far that you can see it under the car if you're standing straight up. He's right though... you will get a little spray when oil shoots out at high speeds. It usually gets on my trannies underside and near the crossmember area.

I'm gonna rig up something to catch it near the ground... like a pill bottle with cotton in it or sumthin...

The Autozone filters I've found to be too restrictive.

Just bought the APC #153002 at WalMart for $9.88 + tax. This is 1/2" i.d. (too loose) so I forced a short piece of 3/16" hose from my old waste gate line (packrat, I admit) over the PCV nipple to shim it. Seems snug, fits under the hood, hopefully cuts down on oil in the intake, and it's called the "Intimidator"!! ROFL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the hose stay routed into the intake pipe so that your ECU doesn't read less airflow than actual, since the air that would have been recirculated is now being vented out?

Unless, of course, you're running a blow-through intake set-up w/o the MAS at the intake pipe.

Scott

Woodsy0 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the hose stay routed into the intake pipe so that your ECU doesn't read less airflow than actual, since the air that would have been recirculated is now being vented out?

Unless, of course, you're running a blow-through intake set-up w/o the MAS at the intake pipe.

Scott

The PCV must have a vac source but the breather can dangle to the street for all its worth. I know a 12 second car from this site that has both the PCV and the breather routed back to the intake thats how mine is. The PCV and the breather run to a T that runs to my turbo's intake not the intake manifold.

Good point about the underhood mess, had me thinking of returning the breather, but looked at the receipt and realized they failed to scan it, so where I come from free is free and I'm motivated to make this work. Anybody ever try forming a gravity trap (like you find under your kitchen sink) to collect the blow-by and moving the breather to higher ground to keep it dry? I just did, and I'll update after some miles to report on the mess or lack thereof unless someone has tried this...

The catch can idea has been done the sink setup I have not heard of or seen pics? maybe we can take a peak at it. I have seen guys use the clear Fuel filters inline with their K&N style breather filter to stop the oil from getting to it.

This is a VERY BASIC, temporary setup I'm using to test the gravity trap idea. Wanted to keep trap shallow as this is supposed to be fresh air path into crankcase and do not want to obstruct it.

Attachments

• PCVGravtrap1_700.jpg
    PCVGravtrap1_700.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 201
If you do the fuel filter idea and are in a cold climate just make sure everything is closer to the engine to keep things warm. Otherwise it could possibly stay frozen and not let anything through. I've seen that a couple times. :dsm:

damentor said:
If you do the fuel filter idea and are in a cold climate just make sure everything is closer to the engine to keep things warm. Otherwise it could possibly stay frozen and not let anything through. I've seen that a couple times. :dsm:
Frozen oil fumes?

That is cold. OMG

NoRiceTSi said:
like any dsm doesnt leave any oil spots anyways:D

mine doesn't. it did. Two different shops replaced the valve cover gasket (one was with my brother and the other was with me) and it still leaked. Mitsubushi stated that i needed to have my head gasket replaced. they said i should get it done because if it has gone by now it would. LOL

i decided to to the valve cover gasket by myself. i just took my time and cleaned it real well and used just the rubber gasket... the auto shops were using that and the squeeze gasket stuff from the auto stores. i read on hear that mitsubishi recommends using just the rubber gasket.

our pvc systems SUCK. I recommend anyone who is modifying their dsm to run a catchcan setup with a breather filter on the can and eliminate their pvc. Its an unnecessary boost leak. A big boost leak nonetheless. It wont pass visual, but what else does on our cars?

i just put one of those small filters on my valve cover breather. My question is, what is the best thing to use to plug the hole where the breather hose went in the intake pipe? thanks :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back