The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

K&N FIPK? [Merged 9-7] intake filter adapter kn

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I need one that is smog legal though, because california has strict emissions and i want to have the filter running on my car while im going through the smog test. BTW my car is pretty much stock aside from the dump tube mod and bcs restrictor mod so size isnt really an issue at the moment. Some guy is selling a K&N fipk (used for 200 miles) for 70 bucks. I think i will get that.

I guess, aside from being smog legal, the k&n fipk isnt any different from a regular cone filter.

As the title says, does anyone know where I can buy the adapter to fit on the MAS for the K&N FIPK filter?

Are you talking about the little plastic piece that comes with the intake kits that bolts to the maf and then the filter just bolts to it? If so my buddy made me a metal one that has a 4" opening so that I could use a 4" K&N filter. I have a plastic one that I believe is a 3" that you could have if you want it and if it is the right part. Let me know, Keith.

You cant. Ive tried looking for it and the only way ive found it is sold used by someone or buying the whole kit. Trust me im a cheap bastard.. you want to get the replacement k&n fipk filter then get an adaptor dont you? :p

Exactly! Well that sucks then.

Are you talking about the little plastic piece that comes with the intake kits that bolts to the maf and then the filter just bolts to it? If so my buddy made me a metal one that has a 4" opening so that I could use a 4" K&N filter. I have a plastic one that I believe is a 3" that you could have if you want it and if it is the right part. Let me know, Keith.

Yeah I have the 3 in plastic one also, Im looking for the adapter that lets you use the oval shaped K&N FIPK. Thanks though.

Are you talking about the oval K&N filter? If so you can use a oval filter with it. I have a huge K&N filter on mine. Hope that helps you, Keith.

kspharris said:
Are you talking about the oval K&N filter? If so you can use a oval filter with it. I have a huge K&N filter on mine. Hope that helps you, Keith.

He's talking about this. I don't know how he came in posession of this filter without the adapter - they go hand-n-hand... unless he didn't know what he needed for the install.

He's talking about this. I don't know how he came in posession of this filter without the adapter - they go hand-n-hand... unless he didn't know what he needed for the install.

Yes that is the adapter I am looking for. It's not that Im in possesion of the filter, its that I know that I can buy the filter seperately for a lot less, and just wanted to know if there was a place that sells the adapter by itself.

chico904 said:
Yes that is the adapter I am looking for. It's not that Im in possesion of the filter, its that I know that I can buy the filter seperately for a lot less, and just wanted to know if there was a place that sells the adapter by itself.

I'm not sure why people still wish to go after the FIPK kit. The kit alone doesn't offer any more performance gain over a traditional intake kit with a cone-style filter. Addtionally, using the kit itself forces you to use the blasted accordion pipe. :toobad: And from what I've seen (or what I haven't seen, more accurately) is a vendor, whether eBay or otherwise, offer the FIPK kit with a hard intake pipe as a possible combination at a lowered price.

I understand that you can possibly get it for a cheap price, but finding an adapter is going to be difficult. Your only decent option is to post a "WTB" ad in the Classifieds section. Perhaps someone has an old FIPK kit laying around. If you were to puchase an FIPK kit off eBay or from one of our vendors, it will cost you between 110-130 bucks. Extreme PSI offers an entire kit (adapter, filter, intake pipe, and accessories) for roughly the same price (currently a little more). Sure, you can probably pick up a similar kit of eBay for 50 bucks, but it's eBay. Your decision there.

If it peaks your interest, go back and look at post #15 in this now merged thread.

If you buy a cheap adapter dont buy a 3In ebay style adapter. I did some testing and found that is inflates your airflow readings and will through your tune off. IMO the best filter adapter for a 2G MAS is the K&N FIPK.
BTW want to buy that filter for 28.02 shipped?
http://www.amazon.com/K-N-RF-1019-U...66?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1174189373&sr=8-1
Your welcome!

I got the adapter from a friend for free and got my K&N filter there. HA! I got a K&N FIPK for 28.02 shipped to my house!

DO NOT BUY ANY ADAPTER LIKE THIS:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It directs all the air through the center and the MAS dosent meter right. It will inflate you airflow.

wow thanks. My K&N i had in my car was all beat up, definitely time for a new one.

Okay the FIPK is around 120 bucks I think, give or take. You get a filter and a the plastic piece to bolt it up to the mas. I saw on a vender site a "package" that they put together for 60 bucks. You get some sort of K&N filter witha vibrant adapter rather than a K&N.

Would the cheap kit work just as well as the real FIPK or are they selling me a lesser filter in the "package"?

From personal experience, I would go with the Apex'i power intake over the FIPK, as it's less expensive ($79 on this site), it's a dry filter, and it's filteration capabilities are awesome.
That's not to put down the FIPK, because it's a proven filter that alotta DSM'ers use. I just prefer Apex'i mainly for the reasons listed above.

Okay the FIPK is around 120 bucks I think, give or take. You get a filter and a the plastic piece to bolt it up to the mas. I saw on a vender site a "package" that they put together for 60 bucks. You get some sort of K&N filter witha vibrant adapter rather than a K&N.

Would the cheap kit work just as well as the real FIPK or are they selling me a lesser filter in the "package"?

I use the 4'' vibrant MAF adapter with a K&N. Very nice setup.

The adapter piece that comes with the FIPK does have a curve shaped into the inside of it to direct air to the honeycombs but I doubt this does much in the way of actually helping. The real advantage of the K&N is that it is smog legal for us Ca. kids. I think you would see the same gains from a more cost effective setup.

Yes SOADweskey is correct. The only big main advantage that the expensive K&N FPIK has over any other kit is it comes with a nice carb/smog legal sticker you can put on your intake pipe and you can tell the smog ref its for the entire intake system ;) If they are dumb, say its for the ic piping as well LOL.

Other than that, I've tried many other generic filter/adapter, and they work just fine.

Thanks for the response guys. A week or so I read a forum that showed which brands filtered better and apexi was the best after they did the dab of white grease in the intake tube. I have a drop in k&n but soon ill get a cone filter I think.

Since you're not in cali, I guess it really doesn't matter which filter you go with. I've used a cheapo adapter with an AEM dryflow and it worked fine but, didn't pass visual inspection. So I got the kn kit and called it a day.

I'm seeing ebay is selling replacement filters for the K&N FIPK. I thought that all the FIPK was is a large filter with a pretty chrome top connected to a flange to mount to our MAS. If I could fabric my own flange, what would prevent me from purchasing the replacement filter and then having a complete FIPK kit? Is there an insert inside of the FIPK or is this a seller who is selling an item under the wrong name? Otherwise I'll just buy the cheap crappy air intakes that go for about $50 including shipping and handling. Most likely better than stock which is what I have.

d

ebay link: eBay Motors: K&N FIPK Intake Filter Mitsubishi Eclipse 1999-1999 (item 370004120663 end time Jan-08-08 09:43:53 PST)

Do you know this for a fact or is this off past experiences with other K&N products?

d

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back