The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Just starting out...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderGod67

Probationary Member
Oct 8, 2019
Houston, Texas
Hi All,

I'm Peter...52 and just now really thinking about a life long DSM dream...an 87-89 Starion! I don't want to get "flamed" right away...but I really am wanting a auto, not the stick! I have a spinal cord injury, resulting in no feeling in my right foot. So I could be standing on the floor board, in a panic situation and think that I have the brake! End is...I legally have to use a modification...A left foot accellerator. So, all auto for me. Bummer. Wish I could drive stick still. So I have a question, can I still have a really nice, custom high power DSM build with a Auto? Someone tell me yes!!! Laughs.

Peter

I'm sorry to hear that Peter, I'm slightly confused, are you looking for a starion or a DSM? I really like the starion, but dont know much about it, if you are asking if you can have a well built auto dsm, you definitely can, in fact, a lot of the higher hp drag DSM's go to auto, although it might not be the stock auto.
Anyway I hope you are able to accomplish your dream.

Welcome!

I don't think the Starion/Conquest are DSM cars per se, because they weren't built in the DSM plant in Normal, IL. They came with a different motor than the DSM cars too.

DSMs got the 4G63 Sirius motor
Starion/Conquests got the 4G54 Astron motor

Some engineering similarities between the motors, but different. There's still plenty of great info that could pertain to the Starion on this site though. Plus the 4G63 motor could be made to fit in the Starion if you wanted. I spent a lot of time researching that route cause I wanted a RWD turbo car, but ultimately went with an AWD DSM.

And nothing wrong with auto. Great for consistent times at the strip :hellyeah:

Hey Peter, welcome. I don't know anything about the Starion/conquests but a lot of DSMs have auto transmissions. If you need any help or advice then hit me up. I live right outside Houston in Tomball.

May not be 100% DSM, but is 100% the predecessor to the Eclipse.
I have always wanted one of my own... Badly. A friend had a Conquest TSi, and I loved getting behind the wheel. And, another another that did a 5.0 Ford conversion on a Starion. That was a fun ride, but never got to drive that baddy. The TSi was fun enough though! There should be a good selection of Auto trans cars out there. May be in better shape than some sticks, less likely to he hacked to bits. But, now thinking of it more likely to have been manual swapped. Those engines are fairly hearty beasts, treated properly, and maintained they post high odometer numbers easily. Good luck on the search hope you locate a good one. They are truly a unique ride these days, I haven't seen one on the roads in a couple of years now unfortunately. I know of several garage queens, but they only come out on clear days, or carshows.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back