The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Just need some ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puller

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 7, 2003
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm swapping a new block into my car, waht's the easiest way to do it...would one recommend pulling the tranny with the motor and doing the swap outside of the car, or would it be better to pull the head off inside the bay, get the old block out and put the new block in and then put the head back on the new bolted in block? what complications might be foreseen this way? i'd like to do the second procedure if it's possible

The tranny has to come out either way. The best way to do it is to pull the tranny and motor as one piece. Seperate them outside the car and put the motor on an engine stand. Do the job on the engine stand. Or even on the floor, but it will go much smoother than doing it inside the car.

so theres no way around getting the tranny and motor out, swapping blocks outside of the car and then i have to put it all back in as 1. What would interfere with the idea of leaving the tranny in and just disconnecting the block with the clutch and stuff still attached?

Originally posted by Puller
What would interfere with the idea of leaving the tranny in and just disconnecting the block with the clutch and stuff still attached?

The fact the the input shaft of the tranny goes to the end of the crankshaft, through the pp disc and flyweel and is only held in by one mount, you really can't leave the transmission in and take the block out. There is just no way to do it without a hack-job. Hack's + DSM = bad.:thumb:

There probably is a way to "finesse" it out, but it will end up being more work.

Originally posted by turbolover2
The tranny has to come out either way. The best way to do it is to pull the tranny and motor as one piece. Seperate them outside the car and put the motor on an engine stand. Do the job on the engine stand. Or even on the floor, but it will go much smoother than doing it inside the car.
couldn't say better my self:thumb:

If you are really set on leaving the transmission in, you might be able to pull the head off and put a jack under the tranny to support it and may be able to work the block out. That may work, but it's not worth the hastle if you ask me.

i gotcha it's just that i may not have access to a hoist and i may have to do it this way, at least i can manage it by myself if need be, one more question...obviously the two blocks aren't gonna be at the same point, in other words ill have to get my current 1 piston at TDC and get the new block 1 piston at tdc...my question is since the new block isn't connect to anything how do i make sure the oil pump sprocket and crank are in sync correctly and then get them at 1 piston TDC

Why do you want to beat yourself up? It's done by pulling the unit. There are many reasons for this, including access, accuracy and efficiency. The job is a complete bi*** without a hoist, and you're not going to be able to yank the block without one anyway. Either rent one, or pick one up at Harbor Freight or Post Tools.

Read the VFAQ on doing the timing belt at www.vfaq.com
It will explain all about lining everything up. You may want to pick up a manual (Chilton, factory, etc.) so you don't go into this blind.

Originally posted by Puller
i gotcha it's just that i may not have access to a hoist and i may have to do it this way, at least i can manage it by myself if need be, one more question...obviously the two blocks aren't gonna be at the same point, in other words ill have to get my current 1 piston at TDC and get the new block 1 piston at tdc...my question is since the new block isn't connect to anything how do i make sure the oil pump sprocket and crank are in sync correctly and then get them at 1 piston TDC

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back