The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Just may have screwed myself...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOWBOOST91

Proven Member
Sep 10, 2013
WILSON, North_Carolina
Well I bought this 97 talon tsi a few weeks ago and have been fixing things on it since then, well I had gotten the ten day pass to drive my car to set the readiness codes (the on board checks the computer does to make sure all your emission systems work properly). Well unfortunately the ten day pass expired and it still didnt pass inspection. Basically the final issue I ran into was the 1g cas on my 2g causing a "phantom" misfire setting the check engine light. I tried the potentiometer mod (pot mod) and unfortunately it did not work. Now I have money for dsmlink. I was thinking I would be able to set my readiness codes using that system but I miss understood what the systems capabilities were on this subject. So now I have a 97 talon tsi, and I am unable to drive it :(

In my state and county I am required to pass an obdII check and a safety inspection. I have to have all but 2 readiness codes set. I have ran out my 10day pass and cant get one untill next year.

Just going on a rant... This absolutely sucks.

Sorry to hear about your problems... what do you mean by, "misunderstood what the system capabilities were"? I'm somewhat on the same boat, (P0300), but have a completely rebuilt and stock 4g63 (95 talon). I was thinking to using the DSMLink also if all else fails. Doesn't DSMLink have the "disable P0300" feature?

The 2g flashable ecu has the show all monitors as passed feature. Maybe put the car in your parents name and let them get it inspected running a 98-99 ecu?

I have a 97 ecu that has been socketed by ecmlink, I dunno if its flashable or not now becaues of that. I know the computer I have in there now is not eprom. The 97 one i have isnt either but its been converted by ecmlink

That was my miss understanding I thought you could set the readiness codes with dsmlink. I know about being able to dissable the missfire part. I wish I would have just waited on the pass LOL but yea shit happens. I'm just gonna try to call the dmv and see what my options are.

Can't you go to get it inspected and fail it to get another pass. I drove my eclipse without a ten day pass and no tag to get inspected with no issues. I did have insurance on it though. Just a thought. Idk if it will work or not but maybe worth a try.

Check your plug wires and fuel pressure. A plug wire that is arcing to the head can cause that condition. Best way to check it to start it up in a garage and turn out all the lights and see if there is any arcing.

In NY I had no issues with readiness monitors and dsmlink. In fact, I think I had reset them all just before bringing it for inspection. I had all CEL boxes unchecked as well for inspection to ensure it wouldn't randomly pop up and cause an issue. I actually had a similar situation where my 10 day had expired. I knew I would fail without a cat, so I was just looking for a fail inspection so I could temporarily drive it. Turns out they surprised me and it passed.

Damn I'm glad I live in an smog free area. I would shoot myself in the face if I had to deal with all that crap.

+1
**ck all that noise.

Op good luck on getting it to pass.

If you have the failed sheet from the inspection place you can get another temporary permit for a small fee (utah is $6.00 for a 15 day extension)

I had to get 3 temporary permits to get mine done. One on the initial buying, failed for; tires, wheel bearing, wiring (all marker lights/running lights), gas cap, horn, winshield wiper bottle gone and spoiler gone (no third tail light)

Saved up for 4 weeks, got tires put on, redid my wiring, junkyard spoiler w/ third tail etc etc, went in and got a new temporary by showing them receipts from the work done and the fail sheet.

Go get tested again, fail, this time they find bad motor mounts. I was so mad i parked it for another 3 weeks after spending a little over $700 the first time around.

Went back to dmv with fail sheet, paid $6, fixed motor mounts. Now its registered 2 months after i initially tried. They are lenient as long as you show you are trying to get it taken care of.

The cas is fine, If you have a first gen cas on a second gen it makes your ecm think that it is misfiring. then it sets the code, then starts misfiring. Its all over google when you search, I plan on just putting a 2nd gen cas up there any way. The only difference is so you can adjust your timing. Its not very safe though because you take out your safety net for engine knock.

There are only 2 counties that you do not have to pass obdII inspection, greene county and another. I can not do this because I dont know any one who lives in either

I work at a dealership im not worried about not having a kitty

Its not very safe though because you take out your safety net for engine knock.

If you advance the base timing too far...but if you have link, there's no reason to not use stock timing because you can easily modify your timing map.

I plan on just putting a 2nd gen cas up there any way.
I missed the part where you said you have a 1g cas, so I'm assuming you do. But if you do add a 2g cas, you'll also need a crank sensor as well. The 1g cas simulates the crank angle signal and provides the cam angle signal all in one. Just a heads up...

I have a seven bolt in the car now, Its supposed to have a 2nd gen cas on it so it may have all the peices needed already. The previous owner put one on there because the other one went bad. I assume any way. LOL Im just gonna let it sit for a little while.

I think what I am going to do is get dsmlink, turn off the misfire code. Use a dealer tag to drive it to work and drive it a few times a day untill the readiness codes set. Thats ###### what I will do in order to get it to pass. Im going to wait a little while though.

I think

hmmm what is the ######

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back