The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Just installed egt and boost gauge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truwarrior

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 19, 2002
What do you think?

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 303
Those look real nice. That is where I plan on placing mine once I get them this summer.

-T

I must say the autometer z series egt responds fast. Some DSMers said it was slow. About 1-2 secs max after I hit the gas the egt goes up and down almost in sync with the rpm. EGT install was easy. Just do it with the engine turned off and use a strong "magnetic on a stick". Collects metal like no other. I also have a rachet tap wrench and 1/8 tapper along with all the drill bits if anyone wants to rent them out. Cost me $50 in tools to tap the manifold. All craftsman :thumb:

Looks like my EGTs are 1200 degress at 50-55 mph in fith.

Boost gauge works great too. I used a 3/16 all sides T and a 1/8 - 7/65 rubber connector and zip ties. Nice tight snug fit. Looks like I'm boosting about 12 psi stock.

The gauges were kind of a pain in the ass to install. To get the old bezel out you have to go under the dash and smack the plastic sides of the bezel clips with a long flat head screw driver. Then you have to cut the post on the gauges so they don't smack into the clear plastic window. Wiring i tapped into the cig lighter for all power. The gauge lights are kinda dim but owell. Think I can get some brighter bulbs in there??

I guess that somes it up.

One question I have...after a hard run is it good to keep the car in gear and lay off the throttle or drop it in neutral? I noticed my EGTs drop lots faster if I leave it gear and lay off the throttle...wierd...

Originally posted by truwarrior
One question I have...after a hard run is it good to keep the car in gear and lay off the throttle or drop it in neutral? I noticed my EGTs drop lots faster if I leave it gear and lay off the throttle...wierd...

When you leave it in gear when you are de-accelerating your letting the engine ingest more air then putting it in neutral and de-accelerating.

figured, does fuel factor in too? I was amazed how much faster it dropped in gear. I dropped from 1200 to 800 in like 10 secs.

You know there are 2 different EGT gauges that Autometer sells.

From Autometers Site...

4343 & 4443
Pyrometer 0°-1600° F
The above pyrometer uses a type K thermocouple. Requires purchase of probe, see the Accessories section for options.

Pyrometer Kit 0-1600° F
Includes probe and 8 ft. of wire.

The cheaper (4344) one has the probe which attaches with 2 screws right onto the back of the gauge and the gauge comes with the probe hence the name "KIT". It doesn't react that quickly. The other one (4343 & 4443) the probe goes to a little black BOX first then a red and brown wire come off the black box into the back of the gauge. You have to purchase the Gauge and Probe seperately thats why there are 2 part numbers. It's also almost twice the price, however it is the best and fastest reacting EGT there is which on a Turbo car is a bonus.

Just an FYI for somebody out there who really wants the fastest EGT there is the 4343 & 4443 is the best. I have had both and the better one moves much faster and reacts to the slightest change.

Well I'm not sure how it compares to others but it seems quick. When I hear people say that some probes are really slow I'm thinking that it takes 4-5 secs before it starts moving. I would like to see how it compairs to other egts. The temps can go up and down so fast that maybe I am missing something like before I hit the real temp I let off the gas and the temps start to drop before it hits actual max temps for the run.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back