The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Just installed an FP HTA RED, holy shite!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaazz

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 2, 2002
PENSACOLA, Florida
So I just got this thing on today. The thtee week wait was worth it. After getting everything together and firing her up and checkng for leaks, I got the boost dialed in at 26 psi and took the old bi*** on the interstate for a third gear pull with the logger. Holy shit I almost pissed myself. Shes laggy but starts spooling around 3.5k and hits 26 psi around 4600 rpm. Cant wait to hit the track and see if i can trap ninety something mph on 93 pump! Also, the FP intake fits nicely with a 2g maf and the recirc even lined up with my bov on my Punishment fmic piping which is a plus. I took pictures, but theyre too big to post but maybe ill take new ones tomorrow at a lower res setting.

Nice going, Charles! Whenever you hit the track, hit me up. Hopefully my DSM will be up and running by then and I'll tag along. I don't think I'll run, but I'll definitely tag along. :p

Curious why you went with the red over the black? Their spool times are almost identical from what I've seen but the black is good for another 40whp or so up top.

I didnt go with the black because its a little more than i need. Im still on the stock bottom end and im also not interested in using e85 or maxing out the setup. Basically, i just want a solid, 400 plus whp setup on pump gas in a bolt on turbo. Im wanting to try and click off some mid to low 7 second 1/8 mile times on pump and then maybe throw some 110 in the tank, crank the boost and see how quick she can run.

Going to do a couple 3rd gear pulls tonight and see if I can get away with a degree or two of timing from 5.5k to 7k. Feels very strong so far and Im wishing there was a 1/4 mile track within range of me.

Going to do a couple 3rd gear pulls tonight and see if I can get away with a degree or two of timing from 5.5k to 7k. Feels very strong so far and Im wishing there was a 1/4 mile track within range of me.

The only I know of is Montgomery, and that's quite a drive. I know that Atmore is pretty damn nice for a 1/8th mile track though! If you need someone to hold the laptop hit me up. :p

Also, gotta update that profile. The HTA Red is pretty damn big to be a 16G. :p

Congrats! I love my black. Hits 30psi by 5k and just rips. I agree with Justin, I'm not seeing nearly the advertised 66lb/min. At 29psi it's flowing around 53lb/min. I would have expected a little more.

Yep, its the old "Evo 3 GT" manifold, it is cast with bigger runners than the 2G or Evo 3, though I cannot attest to whether or not it flows more than the FP manifold. Ive been trying to find out if the FP spools the turbo faster or not. How much boost do you have to crank out of the Black to see that kind of air flow?

29psi DSMLink says it's making 60lb/min and 533HP. I know the airflow estimate is off though because in the log the boostest is higher than the actual MAP sensor reading. I have the HP setting for a .20 drivetrain loss and it's 533HP. So my 53lb/min is a guestimate. I'm gonna turn the boost up some more Friday night at the track and see if it's still making more power. Probably stop around 32psi.

Yep, its the old "Evo 3 GT" manifold, it is cast with bigger runners than the 2G or Evo 3, though I cannot attest to whether or not it flows more than the FP manifold. Ive been trying to find out if the FP spools the turbo faster or not. How much boost do you have to crank out of the Black to see that kind of air flow?

From experience with both, the FP manifold noticeably gives up low end and mid-range, as well as loses a little bit of spool, but the upper mid through the top end is better. Not by a "holy shit!" amount, but you can tell a little. Not enough for me to swap over to an FP Manifold from a good, clean Evo 3 GT Manifold. However, if you get rid of it...holla at me. :p

No way the hta68 is going to reliably make 500awhp on e85.

Multiple people have made 500HP on an HTA68. I think around 35psi of boost. How long will the turbo last at 35psi? IDK. Never owned one. Maybe it'll last 30k miles like that. Not sure. I know if I don't get my 60' down with the FP Black i'll seriously consider trading it for an HTA68 and run it at 36psi of boost.

Multiple people have made 500HP on an HTA68. I think around 35psi of boost. How long will the turbo last at 35psi? IDK. Never owned one. Maybe it'll last 30k miles like that. Not sure. I know if I don't get my 60' down with the FP Black i'll seriously consider trading it for an HTA68 and run it at 36psi of boost.

Proof?

No 68mm-exducer compressor should be coupled with the words "reliably" and "36psi". It's basically a billet 18G....it's done making airflow in the mid-20psi range unless you're on E85 and have an intercooler the size of Rhode Island to cool the air charge enough to prevent detonation.

Shaft speeds at 36psi would be in the 250K+ range. Couple that with the turbine backpressure / EGT's and I'm willing to bet the thrust hardware would be wiped out or the shaft would break at the friction weld within 1000 miles.

Maybe someone cranked up the boost to see what the turbo could make in one or two dyno pulls...but there's just no way I'd see it staying together for any lengthy period of time like that. If the 68HTA could pull off numbers in the 500hp range on anyone's setup, there's absolutely no need for FP to build the Green...maybe even the Red.

I stated I didn't know how long the turbo would last at 36psi. According to Justin, not very LOL. I trust him.

On a different note Justin, I have this FP Black making around 533HP at 29psi. What psi would you push a JB Black to? I asked Robert at FP and he said turn it up until it quits making 10-15HP per psi. I haven't gone over 29psi yet but will prob turn it up over 30 Friday night and see what it does.

I didn't know it wouldn't be reliable at 500HP. I only knew that I had seen it make 500HP and run 10s. That's why I was thinking about it for myself a little. Justin has cleared that up for me though.

On a different note Justin, I have this FP Black making around 533HP at 29psi. What psi would you push a JB Black to? I asked Robert at FP and he said turn it up until it quits making 10-15HP per psi. I haven't gone over 29psi yet but will prob turn it up over 30 Friday night and see what it does.
Turbo manufacturers have a way of adapting airflow ratings to any series of turbo no matter what platform it's being used on. Maybe the HTA82 compressor that comes in the Black made 68 lb/min on a HTA3582 turbo paired to a 35R turbine in a .82 T3 turbine housing....but on a DSM Black with an 8cm2 housing and TD06H turbine, things are far different.

I don't know how reliable a MHI-based turbo would be with an 82mm compressor at 35+psi...such a bearing housing design was never meant to sustain boost levels that high from compressors that large, so you're in uncharted waters.

Regarding thrust reliability in high-boost journal bearing MHI turbos, this was taken directly from a FP ball bearing Evo X turbo ad:

FP said:
This new design virtually eliminates any limit to allowable thrust load within the turbocharger while simultaneously reducing drag and rotational resistance to spool up. The increased thrust limit significantly extends the longevity of the turbocharger when operated beyond its published flow and boost limits and eliminates the turbochargers sensitivity to lubrication interruptions due to hard acceleration and cornering forces. Recent performance testing at the MHI Research and Development Laboratories in Nagasaki, Japan verified that the design dramatically exceeds the normal allowable thrust loads for TD05/6 type turbochargers and allows for a significant increase in the available airflow from the turbocharger without bearing damage.

^ so they're telling you that a journal bearing turbo of the same size is likely to have thrust issues, basically.

If you want it to live, I wouldn't do far beyond 30psi...but watch for airflow to level off, as they've already told you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back