The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Just challenged my best friend to a drag race at ATL dragstrip.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 70-90 time and mod list is what I'm basing my 13.5 @ 100mph guesstimate from...
Well just ran a 13.4 @105mph with a 1.9somethung sh** 60 foot.
I'd call that a pretty good guess, aye? :sneaky:

Sorry to hear about your buddy, it's hard to see friends going through rough patches in their life but that's why they have friends like you, to help them through it (and make sure they make good on their bet and get you wings and beer). I would like to have seen what the RX-7 ran but, maybe another time?

Keep at it dude, like I said before though, you're going to need a set of 272 grinds to get you in the 12's and help the top end. The list you made is a good start but the stock cams aren't helping things... Looking forward to see what you can do this year with the setup and maybe click off that 12.

I will keep following how it goes too. I really enjoy the track time, usually my sons bring their cars too so all the better. Do you have a rear dif brace on your 3 bolt? I have launched my car pretty hard with mine but I do have a 4 bolt in my shop that needs to go in. My brace will fit both but it's still waiting to be put on. I'm workin on both ends LOL. Keep at it and post your adventure, it is good reading :thumb:

I'd call that a pretty good guess, aye? :sneaky:

Sorry to hear about your buddy, it's hard to see friends going through rough patches in their life but that's why they have friends like you, to help them through it (and make sure they make good on their bet and get you wings and beer). I would like to have seen what the RX-7 ran but, maybe another time?

Keep at it dude, like I said before though, you're going to need a set of 272 grinds to get you in the 12's and help the top end. The list you made is a good start but the stock cams aren't helping things... Looking forward to see what you can do this year with the setup and maybe click off that 12.

Well, I have been eyeing a set of GSC S1's pretty hard... I did a lot of reading and research on them years ago, I have the money to buy them right now but I'm waiting until summer vacation is over so the cars not taking to much priority over the family. (That's an easy way to have the wife really pissed) They appear to be between HKS 264's and 272's? Which sounds perfect for a street car like this.

I will keep following how it goes too. I really enjoy the track time, usually my sons bring their cars too so all the better. Do you have a rear dif brace on your 3 bolt? I have launched my car pretty hard with mine but I do have a 4 bolt in my shop that needs to go in. My brace will fit both but it's still waiting to be put on. I'm working on both ends LOL. Keep at it and post your adventure, it is good reading :thumb:

What's the brace you're talking about? Please tell me more. So far as I understood it was the flange at the hub that gives up / flange shears at the bolts...which is crazy.

My wife is real demanding on the car not taking to much family time, so tinkering on it tends to come in spurts or real slow gradual changes. Luckily it's not a daily driver so, 30min to an hour every other day eventually gets the job done. :/

I won't lie though the cams scare me. My father and I screwed up the timing when we changed everything years ago and it ended up off a tooth on both cams. Luckily did no damage but we ended up taking it to some DSM guy's in Duluth Georgia that in like 30min and loosened everything and set it correctly. But when I change them I got another factory manifold I have been working on that will replace the current, wont make a single hp difference I don't figure other than it being spotless inside, as the only other changes were getting cashing flash off and welding up the EGR ports and grinding the ears and flange off so it looks as close as I could make it as it never having been there in the first place. BUT I will probably try one of those phenolic intake manifold gaskets. Kelford behive springs seem like a bargain so those will go in too with the GSC S1's. After I get this waste gate ported...and mod the re-circulation valve.

With the 104octane sitting in the tank (mixed with the 93 it comes out to 99 octane) I really don't want it to just sit.. Not sure how fast the race gas will lose it's octane rating sitting in a gastank with the cap on... but... it's a concern since the shit was expensive. But the car needs the previously listed things done before it's really worth making another pass...I think. Maybe not the cams, but at least the boost creep and blow off valve modified. I can post a log of the pass if anyone would like to see?

I guess with any further developments I'll start a new thread in the dragrace subforum.

Attachments

• log.2017.03.24-01ATLDragway.elg
    41.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
GSC makes a good cam, if this is your end all/be all turbo setup the S1's will work great for your goals.

This is the only "brace" that I know of for a 1g rear diff, really it's the mustache bar, but BulFab makes a nice one. Bulfab 1g Mustache Bar
If you're scared to do the timing belt then I would guess you didn't have the proper tools to do the job? Every DSMer should have this in their tool box, they're worth their weight in gold.
Jay Racing TBTK

Gotta practice more and fix the things it needs. I trapped 91mph in the 1/8th with a 16G on a similar setup, but mine was auto. :p(timeslip in the gray cars profile was not the 91mph slip) So it was a lot heavier than yours. Leather interior, power everything, full stereo, etc. Everything but a/c was in it. God I miss the gray car. Sucks your friend couldn't show up!

Last edited:
GSC makes a good cam, if this is your end all/be all turbo setup the S1's will work great for your goals.

This is the only "brace" that I know of for a 1g rear diff, really it's the mustache bar, but BulFab makes a nice one. Bulfab 1g Mustache Bar
If you're scared to do the timing belt then I would guess you didn't have the proper tools to do the job? Every DSMer should have this in their tool box, they're worth their weight in gold.
Jay Racing TBTK

No I have the Mitsubishi tools. I'm not "scared" really like I once was, just hesitant I suppose. It will get done regardless, and I'll be the one to do it. Now days I can take my time and go as slow as I'd like so I can verify and re-verify, and verify some more before turning the engine over. About the only tool I don't have that I need is a higher rated torque wrench... (ratchet? why does everyone call them wrenches?) Mine are inch/lb and don't go above 80 ft/lb LOL. I torque the little bolts to spec too! The smallest only goes to 35 ft/lb So now I need one that goes over 100.

Well I don't have the nylon piece that goes between the gears to lock them, that would be nice, but not required, I think people used to always use a lot of zip ties? I'd rather keep my $50 for a piece of nylon.

Gotta practice more and fix the things it needs. I trapped 91mph in the 1/8th with a 16G on a similar setup, but mine was auto. :p(timeslip in the gray cars profile was not the 91mph slip) So it was a lot heavier than yours. Leather interior, power everything, full stereo, etc. Everything but a/c was in it. God I miss the gray car. Sucks your friend couldn't show up!

The car has all the speakers, radio, power windows, locks etc. Removed the A/C, and lots of little things. I want to find a scale some where to weigh it because I think it's somewhere around 2850ish. Without the driver. Yeah I'm starting to lose him... It's getting to the point I'm just like "well.. is what it is, I have tried".

Last edited:
The brace I was refering to was to brace the center of the rear dif not out on the axles. Is that where they are the most prone? I have 1 extra 3 bolt and my 4 bolt. Here is the brace....it helps keep the main bearing caps from shifting around. Comes from Andrew at F rontline F ab.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The brace I was refering to was to brace the center of the rear dif not out on the axles. Is that where they are the most prone? I have 1 extra 3 bolt and my 4 bolt. Here is the brace....it helps keep the main bearing caps from shifting around. Comes from Andrew at F rontline F ab.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ouch, that will hurt the wallet a bit.

YEAH......kinda pricey. WHEN I had the extra car money I got it and the transfer case brace and got a little break on the price but in my mind it is comforting to know I have them and won't get stranded from breakage....I hope! Lets not hold our breath on that. :pray:

Agree. ^^^
Those are for my 4 bolt and to stiffen the t-case cover only.
Corey, is it correct that the 3 bolts fail at the axles/cups??? I haven't put my 4 bolt in yet, it got way too cold out to work on that stuff outside, so it is waiting on me.

That's what I was understanding as well. The car's not making 500+whp so I don't think those braces are needed near as much as a 4 bolt rear is. But It may...not get one unless it breaks. It looks like the wife may have just gave the green light to spend about $1500 more (max) this year on the car. :) That's Kiggly HLA, GSC cams Kiggly street beehives and some other goodies.

Anyone know a shop that can degree cams on a 4G63 in Georgia? If so, maybe cam gears too. But I think once I resolve the cars boosting issues, if I can get it off the line better, it's got a high 12 in it on stock cams.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back