The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Just bought a used FP 3052...opinions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostednavyac

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 31, 2012
San Diego, California
Seemed to me to be in very good condition, though i'm no expert. just wanted to get some opinions from people who have ran this turbo and what they thought of it

Attachments

• turbo setup.jpg
    turbo setup.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 328
I never said HKS cams were bad (thats very true many have gone very fast with them & still continue to do so), I simply said there are better profiles out there now, which is true.

While these new profiles can help with peak power, I like the fact that they also reduce lag & create more mid range power. So peak power isn't the only thing to consider when choosing a cam.

Which ones are helping midrange and spool? and What are they helping it over? GSC S2's definatly do not help spool over HKS272's..

I have a friend of mine now living in Utah ( owner of VGTuning) and last yr he recorded 60lb/min on his 3052, I believe at 30 or 32psi, can't remember.

Justin, could you please elaborate about this BB service through Garrett? I thought the only option, period, was a new CHRA? Curious to this as I've got a good amount of mileage on my 3052 (30-35k)

All this makes me re-think about the coming future, as this turbo just isn't going to last forever... Not to mention, though a wonderful turbo, is it really worth the $900 price tag for a new CHRA?

Back to topic: I <3 my 3052... absolute street monster. 28 psi by 3900 on a stock 6 bolt with ARP's/Mitsu MLS, and HKS 272's. Can't wait to try it with my stroker!

Going back to back vs. an FPgreen (older style) it had way more hit and spooled considerably faster. Not to say the FPgreen is a slouch, but the 3052 just blows it away, IMHO.

Yes, an eleboration would be excellent in the event that i do need a rebuild soon....and This keeps making me anxious, i've only heard positive things about the 3052 and how it spools insanely quick and is a kick in the pants once it does :thumb:

The kelfords are great but just don't forget that they require upgraded springs.

thank you for the input/heads up

There's all kinds of cam reading on this site & you should be able to figure out what route to take based on your personal goals, but personally I wouldn't go HKS 264's unless your trying to keep it emissions friendly or plan to auto x the car.

If you do some searching, you'll find that "264" or "272" doesn't mean much as far as comparing one cam to another. These lift durations are at very small valve lifts, so don't really mean much in the real world. If you want to compare specs you need to look at .04-.05 or 1mm lift numbers. Doing this will help you to understand why the Kelford "272" cams will make more power then HKS "272" cams. You also have to factor in lift, duration & ramp rate.

HKS cams, unless they've been updated, that I'm not aware of, are an old profile & there are much better cams available today, with more lift & quicker ramp rates (ie make more power & have less lag).

For the 3052 most would go with a "272" style cam, unless you have other specific goals.

I think this is a common misconception that newer DSMers (like myself) would fall into. I will make an effort to learn more about how lift, duration and ramp rate alter how the cam will act...good info to know, thanks I appreciate the help

This is the turbo I wanted.. this or a Green!

I would say see if you could find a set of the FP272 cams, I loved them when I had my DSM and wouldnt choose another cam over them for Street performance other than the KELFORD 272's...

If your upgrading cams is usggest upgrading the valvetrain anyway since you do have that turbo anyway haha

Great choice on turbo just wish they made it for the Subaru platform :(

Which ones are helping midrange and spool? and What are they helping it over? GSC S2's definatly do not help spool over HKS272's..

I'm speaking in general of the newer profiles with their increased ramp rates & higher lift. S2's vs HKS 272's are apples to oranges. The S2's seem like more cam then most should want for the 3052 anyways.

I have the same turbo almost, but a PTE housing. I bought it used for $500. So far so good, put almost 5k miles on it. Good luck. If everything works out you will love it. Spools really quick.

This turbo will not be the same in the PTE bolt on housing. All the other "Mitsu" style bolt on housings are big restrictions & are typically of poor design. The FP housing is the only bolt on housing that actually flows nicely & will not be a big limiting factor on maxing the turbo out. The FP housing will flow basically like a .63 T3 housing, all the other bolt on's will not.

I'm speaking in general of the newer profiles with their increased ramp rates & higher lift. S2's vs HKS 272's are apples to oranges. The S2's seem like more cam then most should want for the 3052 anyways.

This turbo will not be the same in the PTE bolt on housing. All the other "Mitsu" style bolt on housings are big restrictions & are typically of poor design. The FP housing is the only bolt on housing that actually flows nicely & will not be a big limiting factor on maxing the turbo out. The FP housing will flow basically like a .63 T3 housing, all the other bolt on's will not.

Daren P, did you have any trouble with clearance with the stock AC fan? I was looking at it and it seems it will either need to be removed or replaced with a slim fan

Daren P, did you have any trouble with clearance with the stock AC fan? I was looking at it and it seems it will either need to be removed or replaced with a slim fan

Its been a long time since I ran the stock rad & fans but you shouldn't have any issues.

If you look in my gallery, further down, you can see a pic where I first installed the 3052 & still ran the stock rad & fans. You can't just slap the O2 housing & dump tube in any old direction but if you play with the rotation of them & angle of the dump as well, you can maximize rad fan clearance. Believe I had about an inch between dump tube & AC fan IIRC.

Its been a long time since I ran the stock rad & fans but you shouldn't have any issues.

If you look in my gallery, further down, you can see a pic where I first installed the 3052 & still ran the stock rad & fans. You can't just slap the O2 housing & dump tube in any old direction but if you play with the rotation of them & angle of the dump as well, you can maximize rad fan clearance. Believe I had about an inch between dump tube & AC fan IIRC.

Daren P and ypnas777 thanks for the quick response. Turbo won't be going in til i have all the rest of the parts gathered, but once I do it will help knowing i dont have to change the fans :thumb:

Dang, you have the exhaust housing I want for mine. LOL. I still haven't installed mine but I know that exhaust housing alone costs more than what I gave for my 3052. I did allot of research before agreeing to buy it. The 3052 is all around one of the most desired turbos for our cars. Its big enough for big power but still spools fast and it behaves well on the street. Good luck with the install! Again, wish I had your O2 housing. I have to build mine. LOL

Dang, you have the exhaust housing I want for mine. LOL. I still haven't installed mine but I know that exhaust housing alone costs more than what I gave for my 3052. I did allot of research before agreeing to buy it. The 3052 is all around one of the most desired turbos for our cars. Its big enough for big power but still spools fast and it behaves well on the street. Good luck with the install! Again, wish I had your O2 housing. I have to build mine. LOL

Thanks nightrider, the minute I saw this combo pop up online for sale I had made up my mind, he even threw in a MBC and a boost leak tester since i think he was getting out of the game for good. Hate to see a DSMer leave, but at least he was generous :hellyeah:

On a different note, I have all of my pieces selected except for a FMIC...any suggestions? I've been searching around trying to find some comparisons with actual data and logs, but mostly have only found "opinions". Anyone have any stats about say a PR vs VRSF or the one im leaning towards right now, an ETS?

On a different note, I have all of my pieces selected except for a FMIC...any suggestions? I've been searching around trying to find some comparisons with actual data and logs, but mostly have only found "opinions". Anyone have any stats about say a PR vs VRSF or the one im leaning towards right now, an ETS?

I would have to recommend ETS, seem to offer good performance for $. Yes, there are better setups out there, but their going to cost you alot more as well. Think ETS is in a good price range so your getting good performance for your $ & the build quality is better then alot of the "cheepo" kits out there.

so, not too long ago i was thinking the same thing about FMIC, i ended up getting a VRSF, it has a .5 PSI pressure drop and my IATs are around 50-70 when its 40*F out.

I thought, hey the VRSF is cheap, the only thing i was worried about was blowing an end tank, but hey you really cant beat the price. The VRSF is a short route and the Punishment is not, this has been covered in multipule threads. the ETS will be my #1 option and it will be what i go to next if anything happens to my VRSF and the only real reason i choose the VRSF over the ETS is that there is a 700 dollar price tag difference.

PS. im going to be running 30 PSI on it and currently have been running 20-25 PSI no problems so far. only negative thing i have to say about the VRSF is that the pipes are very light, so light it feels like they will bend and break easily, but i have not heard of one person having an issue yet and nor have i. ETS will be all Stainless steel so you will have a weight difference, also the ETS ultra short route is quite a bit taller then the VRSF and you will have to remove the crash beam and slides. VRSF your only looking at removing fog lights. VRSF is a 3.5 inch core and ETS is a 3 inch. unless you want to pay extra for an extra thick core.

punishment, your going to have a long route, keep the fogs, similar and very comparable in price to the VRSF with pretty much only difference being the core design and air routing and maybe some variation in size specs

BTW ETS ultra route 12" fmic, you are pretty much guarinteed not to need an upgrade for a fmic ever. Go VRSF for 300 bucks and if you dont like it sell it to one of the many DSMers that would love one, and pick up an ETS, thats my plan anyway and im shooting for the mid 500's awhp

Turns out i actually bit the bullet and bought the ETS kit...i figure when i eventually build the bottom end for serious power then I will already have a capable FMIC so I dont have to swap it out twice. Thank you for the input though

so, not too long ago i was thinking the same thing about FMIC, i ended up getting a VRSF, it has a .5 PSI pressure drop and my IATs are around 50-70 when its 40*F out.

I thought, hey the VRSF is cheap, the only thing i was worried about was blowing an end tank, but hey you really cant beat the price. The VRSF is a short route and the Punishment is not, this has been covered in multipule threads. the ETS will be my #1 option and it will be what i go to next if anything happens to my VRSF and the only real reason i choose the VRSF over the ETS is that there is a 700 dollar price tag difference.

PS. im going to be running 30 PSI on it and currently have been running 20-25 PSI no problems so far. only negative thing i have to say about the VRSF is that the pipes are very light, so light it feels like they will bend and break easily, but i have not heard of one person having an issue yet and nor have i. ETS will be all Stainless steel so you will have a weight difference, also the ETS ultra short route is quite a bit taller then the VRSF and you will have to remove the crash beam and slides. VRSF your only looking at removing fog lights. VRSF is a 3.5 inch core and ETS is a 3 inch. unless you want to pay extra for an extra thick core.

punishment, your going to have a long route, keep the fogs, similar and very comparable in price to the VRSF with pretty much only difference being the core design and air routing and maybe some variation in size specs

BTW ETS ultra route 12" fmic, you are pretty much guarinteed not to need an upgrade for a fmic ever. Go VRSF for 300 bucks and if you dont like it sell it to one of the many DSMers that would love one, and pick up an ETS, thats my plan anyway and im shooting for the mid 500's awhp

Don't ever compare VRSF to ETS ever, again. ETS is by far the superior product.

Last edited:
Agreed. I feel like low IAT's is one of the most important things one can aim for if they have to use Crappy ass Cali 91 octane and it will benefit me to have a legitimate FMIC to help out that goal. In general, you get what you pay for, and I have worked hard and saved up for a long time to make sure i get Grade A products for the build :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back