The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Just bought a 99 GSX, misfiring bad

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bam22056

Probationary Member
Aug 15, 2014
Newton, New_Hampshire
Hey guys, first post. I just picked up a 99 GSX with 72k miles, and it drive like a dream the first night I owned it. I maybe drive a total of 50 miles that night. The previous owner didn't drive it much from what i gathered. Fired it up this morning, and within a couple minutes I was getting this stuttering in engine, and the boost gauge and tach started to flutter. The CEL came on, so i turned it right around and brought it home. It seems to be misfiring, and I plan on putting NGK wires and plugs in tomorrow, and probably a valve cover gasket, the current one looks like it has a slow leak. Anyone had experiences with a new GSX that was rarely used giving them issues like this?

The car is bone stock, it even has the original window sticker from the sale in 99, LOL.

Its maintenance time! If he rarely used it he rarely did maintenance. I would consider changing plugs wires timing belt water pump all fluids and filters ect.. bet it runs like a dream after as tune up. Congrats on your purchase by the way!

That's what I'm hoping for! I would try the timing belt myself, but I don't feel like I have the experience to tackle something that major. I got a quote for 765 for the timing and balalce shaft belt, all pulleys and tensioners, and the water pump.

Make sure they use an oem timing belt and tensioner not that felpro crap. Gates would also be a good choice. Actually you could do yourself a favor and get a timing belt kit from stm and have them use that. Then you know your getting quality stuff.[DOUBLEPOST=1408154796][/DOUBLEPOST]http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/stm_dsm_timing_belt_kit.htm

I was thinking of having him eliminate the balance shaft, I have heard that's never a bad way to go.

check your alternator, mine just went on a 1g and i had fluttering gages and some wierd stuff going on. you should have >14V across the batter when its running.

Just replaced the spark plugs with NGK iridiums, the misfire is gone. Turns out a mouse burrowed under the cover for the spark plug boots and made a nest. I think I have an exhaust leak, because I am getting very little power to the wheels.

You can make yourself a tool to do a boost test as well. If it's only got that amount of mileage the charge hoses may be dry rotted as well as intake boots, vacuum lines, gaskets, etc. Just make sure when you put the boost leak tester on the turbo that you spray the inside of the couplers with aqua net hair spray. It will keep the tool from rocketing off of the T25 or any connection with no lip for the clamp to grab. This method has been proven for 35+ psi. And as far as the timing belt goes, assuming you have an engine lift and stand and a basic set of hand tools, maybe a couple of specialty tools that are cheap or rentable from the Zone or Advanced, its not that big of a deal. Ive done plenty and never had an issue. Just don't be afraid to follow the instructions (no matter how many times you've done it), take your time, walk away for a minute when you get frustrated, and check everything thrice. Cake. Definitely get a kit with everything though and not an E-Bizzle special. A good kit with a Dayco, Gates, HKS or similar belt and OEM tensioner...

I will do that next. I don't have a lift, but I think a friend of mine does. I have never worked with pulleys or tensioners, but ill get on youtube and watch some tutorials.

Just replaced the spark plugs with NGK iridiums, the misfire is gone. Turns out a mouse burrowed under the cover for the spark plug boots and made a nest. I think I have an exhaust leak, because I am getting very little power to the wheels.

I wouldnt recommend Iridiums, for what you have NGK BPR7ES is probably going to be all you'll need. DSMs are very picky about their spark plugs.

+1 about the plugs. More expensive doesn't always mean better. A good set of BPR7ES plugs are the shizzle for your setup. Even with tons of mods or stage 1, 2, 15, etc. I've always kept coming back to good old copper NGK's. Just messed with the heat ranges and indexed them (a pain in the ass and not worth it unless you're pulling 9's, so....no) depending on mod level. Other brands will work, but these things get moist over NGK's for whatever reason...

Advice from Jafro on timing belt parts:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Original service video for replacing timing belt - part 1:

Part 2:

I used these videos in conjunction with the vfaq.com tutorial, was able to complete it myself with jack stands and hand tools.[DOUBLEPOST=1408245141][/DOUBLEPOST]Also make sure you gapped the plugs correctly, .28mm is normally the spec to use with pump gas.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back