The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Just bought a 92 tsi...now what?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkgonzo

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2005
Wichita Falls, Texas
I just bought a 92 Tsi Awd auto, 89k on the clock. OD does'nt seem to work, engine has a knock as well. What are my first steps I need to take for the trans to hold some power? I'm very new to the auto dsm game. Any input would be great. My goal is to drag race on a track with it. The turbo of choice with be a hx-40. Thanks.

Do a search for blue wire mod.

I think the guys at english racing made a pass with a 1g auto + FP 68HTA - 16g at around 11 seconds.

Edit:

Nope it was a 10.3 Pass

http://store.forcedperformance.net/...duct_Code=NTDSMFP68HTA&Category_Code=Turbo-FP

Also :
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...tending-automatic-transmission-life-long.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/automatic-tranny/366917-kiggly-shifter-mod.html

perhaps you should search for "Line Pressure Mod" As blue wire mod is giving some stupid stuff for safc as well.

Well, here goes...

First off, your OD not working is likely the end clutches that are bad. The stock automatic transmission will hold a very good amount of power. I am currently running around 500hp to the wheels in my 1G AWD auto with nothing more than a welded center diff and the line pressure "blue wire" mod. Everything else in the tranny has over 100k miles and still holding strong. Don't let people trick you into thinking are are "built" auto trannies. There is no such thing for DSMs. Sure there are clutch pack kits that have extra frictions, valve body mods, and welded center diffs, but that's about it. Paying IPT or anyone else $3000+ to "build" an auto is just ludicrous. Call up English Racing @ englishracing.net and ask them how much the record setting autos they use cost. Jeff Bush from English Racing currently holds the auto AWD record at 8.67@167 using a tranny that was built for less than $1000 (not including converter, of course).

Next, being that you are running a 1G, you are very limited on torque converter options. The only option is a stock re-stalled converter. Precision Industries used to make a 9" billet converter for 1Gs, but stopped making them several years ago and they are very hard to find. You could always swap to the 2G auto tranny and run a PI billet converter, but that is a huge waste as a stock re-stalled converter has been proven to mid-8s in the 1/4mi as proven by Jesse Abele in the Red Rocket. If you plan on running an HX-40, you will HAVE TO get a re-stalled stock torque converter AND you will have to use a shot of nitrous to stall the turbo on the line. No way around it. Even with a stroker motor and a re-stalled converter, you WILL NOT be able to stall that turbo without nitrous in any decent amount of time. You would burn up your clutch packs real quick trying. A Kiggly SFI flexplate is also something that is pretty much required for high horsepower DSM automatics. It's well priced and a very nice piece. You could run 2 OEM flexplates stacked together, but may as well just get the Kiggly plate at that point.

A large oil cooler is a very good investment for your auto tranny as well. I have a B&M tranny cooler that has a built-in fan attached to it that keeps tranny temps very conservative, even running 130+mph 1/4mi speeds. The line pressure "blue wire" mod is also pretty much required in higher than stock HP autos. You can just wire in a relay or you could get an EPROM TCU re-flashed from ForeignMuscle.com and he can do the line pressure mod and automatic shifting all in the TCU! Just throw it in Drive, launch the car, and never take your hands from the steering wheel! Perfect shifts every time! That's what I did and it's AWESOME!!

The auto transfer case works very well too. However, even the auto t-cases will break when trying for 10-sec or faster passes. DogBox Racing offers a 300M billet t-case upgrade for the automatics for about $1200. Shep will not do an auto t-case with his upgrade and his cost twice as much as DogBox anyway. Jeff Bush has the first auto t-case DogBox has done and hasn't broken it after a large number of 1.3-1.4sec 60's and mid-high 8-sec passes.

Last but not least is your brakes holding on the launch. Many people feel that you need to get new brakes with pads that bite when cold, hydraulic hand brake, etc, etc... That helps, but really is not the case. The best thing you can do for your brakes on the launch is install a vacuum pump that activates when you press the brake pedal. By far the best brake mod you can do with an auto. No line locks or any of that nonsense.

Hopefully I've answered your questions (probably way more than I needed to) and anyone else's questions as well. Thanks for reading my novel.

Does IPT still offer the converter option for 1g cars?

Yes, IPT still offers their 1G converters. However, they are absolutely nothing but stock re-stalled converters. There is nothing special about them at all. Just about any transmission shop in your local area could likely do the same work, probably for less money, as well. Hughes Converters does great work on re-stalls also. Pretty much just tell whoever you have do it to make the converter as loose as possible.

I just bought a 92 Tsi Awd auto, 89k on the clock. OD does'nt seem to work, engine has a knock as well. What are my first steps I need to take for the trans to hold some power? I'm very new to the auto dsm game. Any input would be great. My goal is to drag race on a track with it. The turbo of choice with be a hx-40. Thanks.

For some reason it doesnt suprise me that you bought another 1g haha.. Shoulda bought a 2g so you have a car that looks good too hahah :)

Been busy the last couple for weekends LOL.

Attachments

• cid_630.jpg
    cid_630.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG00370-20110122-1833.jpg
    IMG00370-20110122-1833.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG00371-20110122-1833.jpg
    IMG00371-20110122-1833.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 69
Man if i was a cop i would pull you over thinking that buick was loaded down with dope.

Yes, IPT still offers their 1G converters. However, they are absolutely nothing but stock re-stalled converters. There is nothing special about them at all. Just about any transmission shop in your local area could likely do the same work, probably for less money, as well. Hughes Converters does great work on re-stalls also. Pretty much just tell whoever you have do it to make the converter as loose as possible.

Do you have an IPT 1G converter? Have you opened one up? How about a trans?

The reason that I ask is that it seems like you are offering a lot of opinions about IPT products on here so I was wondering what your first hand experience with our stuff is.

-John
IPT Performance Transmissions
Facebook- IPT Performance Transmissions

You don't have to get upset with me, John. I'm simply stating my personal experiences. Now, I may be off-base by saying there is nothing speical about your re-stalls, as I've never opened one, so I apologize if that's the case. I have, however, used a bone stock 1G tranny, an IPT re-stall, Hughes re-stall, local shop re-stall, and my current PI 1G billet converter. Of all of the stock re-stalls I've used, I spent half as much on the local shop re-stall and it performed just as well as either of the "big name" shops' converters. Obviously, my PI converter far exceeds any of them. My point to the OP is that he could likely spend less money for the same quality based on MY personal experiences.

Now, on to the reason I'm not particularly fond of your company. I have not personally had a bad experience with you. However, my best friend has had nothing but trouble with your company and your product, as well as another very good friend of mine. I will not mention who either of them are, but I'm sure you can guess the two people I mean based on where I live. I have seen the failures first hand and the steps that were taken by your company to rectify them. Needless to say, I was NOT impressed. Whether you are the sponsoring shop for this forum or not, I cannot and will not recommend your company to anyone.

I feel that I have been very polite and professional here in answering your question. I do not, and have never claimed to be a DSM auto transmission expert, but I have had a lot of personal and 2nd party experiences with them. I base my opinions and recommendations to the DSM community solely on my own personal experiences of what works and what doesn't. Thank you for your time.

You don't have to get upset with me, John. I'm simply stating my personal experiences. Now, I may be off-base by saying there is nothing speical about your re-stalls, as I've never opened one, so I apologize if that's the case. I have, however, used a bone stock 1G tranny, an IPT re-stall, Hughes re-stall, local shop re-stall, and my current PI 1G billet converter.

When did you purchase a converter from us?

-John

To be honest, I never bought the converter directly from you. It was purchased from another member several years ago. It was claimed at the time to be a 4200rpm stall and an IPT receipt was provided. Now, I would have to do some searching to find out who I bought it from.

I know where this is heading. I agree that because I didn't buy it from you directly that I really have no idea whether it was a 4200rpm stall or not, or whether it was even an IPT re-stall at all. I tend to take people for their word. I like to not think that everyone is out to cheat people. It was painted gloss black as every other IPT converter I've ever seen has been, it definitely was re-stalled by someone, and the seller seemed totally honest and up front with me. Could I be wrong? Yes. Can I prove it? No. So yes, my reasoning could be faulty.

Regardless of that fact, if it was, in fact, an IPT converter, what I said above still holds true. Also, regardless of how this turns out, my opinion about your company still holds true. I know you've done good work for a lot of very fast autos (Jesse Abele, etc...), but that doesn't excuse the experiences I've seen first hand from people very close to me.

TO THE OP: Please take the advice I have given you with a grain of salt. I have only given you advice based on the experiences I have had with DSM automatic transmissions. I have timeslips to show a lot of 10 second passes with my setup if that is any consolation. Do with my advice what you will. :)

To be honest, I never bought the converter directly from you. It was purchased from another member several years ago. It was claimed at the time to be a 4200rpm stall and an IPT receipt was provided. Now, I would have to do some searching to find out who I bought it from.

I know where this is heading. I agree that because I didn't buy it from you directly that I really have no idea whether it was a 4200rpm stall or not, or whether it was even an IPT re-stall at all. I tend to take people for their word. I like to not think that everyone is out to cheat people. It was painted gloss black as every other IPT converter I've ever seen has been, it definitely was re-stalled by someone, and the seller seemed totally honest and up front with me. Could I be wrong? Yes. Can I prove it? No. So yes, my reasoning could be faulty.

Regardless of that fact, if it was, in fact, an IPT converter, what I said above still holds true. Also, regardless of how this turns out, my opinion about your company still holds true. I know you've done good work for a lot of very fast autos (Jesse Abele, etc...), but that doesn't excuse the experiences I've seen first hand from people very close to me.

TO THE OP: Please take the advice I have given you with a grain of salt. I have only given you advice based on the experiences I have had with DSM automatic transmissions. I have timeslips to show a lot of 10 second passes with my setup if that is any consolation. Do with my advice what you will. :)

I was not going to imply that it wasn't an IPT converter but my suspicion is confirmed that:
A) You never purchased a converter from me.
and
B) The converter that you had was not configured to your application- it was made for another person's vehicle.

BTW, I believe Jesse is running pretty well into the 8's with his "nothing special" 1G converter (and trans).

-John

Well, just to jump into this, little fued and get my oppinion rejected..

But, i had a auto tranny in my 98 spyder gst..
and i had problems with EVERYTHING except my STOCK tranny ;)
(it was also mistreated by the original owner)

But; I have HEARD, from various people especially on tuners, that the stock auto tranny is pretty much bulletproof, and can withstand high amounts of horsepower and torque..

Thanks to everyone who put some info on here. I'm getting my converter restalled at Performance Torque Converters of Texas in Dallas. J.D. the builder said he could get me a 3200 stall from my converter core.

Thanks to everyone who put some info on here. I'm getting my converter restalled at Performance Torque Converters of Texas in Dallas. J.D. the builder said he could get me a 3200 stall from my converter core.

I don't know about your application but I doubt 3200 rpm's of stall is even going to be noticeable. The stock factory converter can go to 2800 or more.

Has this shop worked with any DSM's that went fast?

Regardless of what you may have heard, there is a lot more to it than just bending the fins and cutting down the stator.

-John

I don't know about your application but I doubt 3200 rpm's of stall is even going to be noticeable. The stock factory converter can go to 2800 or more.

Has this shop worked with any DSM's that went fast?

Regardless of what you may have heard, there is a lot more to it than just bending the fins and cutting down the stator.

-John

Well I'm going to use this converter and use a little nx power to stall it up. So I will see how it goes.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back