The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Just bought 2g tsi fwd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakota98talon_esi

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2012
Richlands, Virginia
Just bought it about a week ago. Running everything stock. Previous owner cut exhaust right were the downpipe connects to the exhaust so it's extremely loud. Was boosting around town today when all the sudden the car spudders and dies. Tried to start it back, then for a second and blew one white with blue tint smoke everywhere. Then died again. So I thought, maybe I coulda blown the little t25 but took the intake off and felt for compressor wheel play there's is none. Every time I crank the car it'll start an idle kind of weird, and start backfiring then ill apply some throttle an it acts like its running out of gas. Then all kinds of crap starts ticking in the dash. Previous owner also ripped the stereo out. Left all the wires bare an junk? Help please?!

From my experience if it backfires (meaning air or smoke is blowing from the intake) this would mean you have bent valves. That were probably caused by an un-tightened timing belt. Before anything rent a compression tester from autozone or wherever then return it :)
For a 2g the standard compression is 178psi with no more than 14 psi difference with any cylinder from each other. The service limit is 133psi (meaning anything less then 133, and it means rebuild). As sourced from vfaqs: How to do a Compression Test

Also check for boost leaks, couplers or stock pipes can sometimes pop loose when boosting, which causes a huge boost leak. Your MAF will read a different air flow than what would otherwise be going into the engine itself, which will create a stumbly idle.
Let us know how it goes.

Could be un recirculated bov. Nice looking car maybe you can post pic of engine bay.

A un recirculated bov will def not cause that at all.....

I was just assuming I know running a non recirc bov will cause the car to try and die by dumping alot of fuel and have bad reading for the maf. I seen alot people do it LOL. Just a thought as I have not seen his engine bay. Maybe he can post pic of the engine bay. If the previous owner hack the exhaust who know what kinda ghetto things where done that he might not notice.

I got some bad connectors on mi car, and when I hit 7000 rpm in 3rd gear or so... some of them come loose, specially the one by the spark plug coils. When that connector gets loose my car will do the same that you are saying... I need to get mine fixed...

check that all of your connectors are right connected and that might do it

I appreciate all the answers guys. And yeah I'll post one of the bay. And I'm gonna try to get it to my grandparents house. Lots lots lots lots of tools and space for doing goodies LOL. :) and yeah my car has been abused (engine wise) it's an automatic also. But it was fine all day yesterday no smoke nothing then went around a tiny bend then BAM LOL. Like I hit a damn wall.

I appreciate all the answers guys. And yeah I'll post one of the bay. And I'm gonna try to get it to my grandparents house. Lots lots lots lots of tools and space for doing goodies LOL. :) and yeah my car has been abused (engine wise) it's an automatic also. But it was fine all day yesterday no smoke nothing then went around a tiny bend then BAM LOL. Like I hit a damn wall.
okay so went to the car today, and it fired right for me:hellyeah:then i let it warm up like always. then as the car started getting warmer i could hear like a faint miss starting to come, then it got a little warmer and died, so i got in started it again. same thing it was doing last night but maybe a little worse so then i sprayed some soapy water on everything. no vaccum leaks at all. so i got it started again, and had to keep my phone on the gas a little to keep it ideling right. if not it wants to idle around 150-250rpms. i can rev it up and you can hear the turbo spooling, then stalls around 2400rpms then picks back up then white smoke goes everywhere:banghead: checked the oil and its a little milky white looking/ smeels like also but i havent noticed any water. im going to get a compression tester after i write this. ive been more into the jdm turbo civics. this is my first dsm, so excuse my ignorance :confused:thanks guys for all your help

smells like gas LOL.

okay so went to the car today, and it fired right for me:hellyeah:then i let it warm up like always. then as the car started getting warmer i could hear like a faint miss starting to come, then it got a little warmer and died, so i got in started it again. same thing it was doing last night but maybe a little worse so then i sprayed some soapy water on everything. no vaccum leaks at all. so i got it started again, and had to keep my phone on the gas a little to keep it ideling right. if not it wants to idle around 150-250rpms. i can rev it up and you can hear the turbo spooling, then stalls around 2400rpms then picks back up then white smoke goes everywhere:banghead: checked the oil and its a little milky white looking/ smeels like also but i havent noticed any water. im going to get a compression tester after i write this. ive been more into the jdm turbo civics. this is my first dsm, so excuse my ignorance :confused:thanks guys for all your help

smells like gas LOL.

If you take the time to learn about a DSM and everything about the engine's function, you will find more times than not that you will never need a mechanic again LOL. But milky oil is never a good thing. You could have a blown head gasket, which mixes the oil and coolant while also creating low compression. Also, is there a check engine light for any reason?

Definitely agree on the possibility of a blown head gasket the, milky oil is a product of coolant getting mixed in.

If you take the time to learn about a DSM and everything about the engine's function, you will find more times than not that you will never need a mechanic again LOL. But milky oil is never a good thing. You could have a blown head gasket, which mixes the oil and coolant while also creating low compression. Also, is there a check engine light for any reason?

yes check engine has light has been on, since i bought the car, but im assuming thats because of the exhasut im gonna try to record a vid of what its doing and post it on here. instead of trying to tell you guys, what its doing that would probably be the best idea LOL. im thinking along the lines of blown head gasket but would that make it like not run at all?

White smoke is burning coolant. Blue is burning oil.
Possible blown headgasket.
Do compression test.
Look down. Into your cylinder wells and see if you can see any fluids like antifreeze.

alright i sure will i posted the video on here. uhm you guys can take a look at it and tell me what you guys think. and my buddy is about to be home and were gonna try to get the car in a garage and im gonnna do the compression test because its piss pouring the rain outside. thanks for your answers guys. its helped out alot

one time i tried boosting and it was hitting fuel cut at low boost, and sometimes it would die replaced my alternator after my battery died and charged it up and it was fine, didnt blow smoke thou

i just replaced the alternator when i bought the car. that was why they got rid of it because they didnt wanna go through the hassle of replacing it. it was some little rich kid that ragged the hell out of it.

No they are two different motors. You need a HG for a 4g63. I recommend a mitsu MLS gasket.

thanks man. and yeah bro i got mine for 1100 the way it sat had to buy for tires and alternator so far just to get it runnin, LOL so thats like 7 or 800 already. ive been watching some videos on youtube and this guy had a blown turbo on his and his sounds just like mine and the smoke looks the exact same. so im gonna be doing the compression test here in a bout an hour. i dont know how the cylinder are numbers so ill just write the numbers on here starting from drivers to passneger side.:banghead:

Blown head gasket

Out of Time

Bent Valves

CAS

Im thinking its the first one, hopefully it will be something simple though

gonna go from drivers side to passenger side. 175,80,60,50. not looking to good fellas.....im gonna go with another try and see what the readings and I will post those in about thirty minuts.

alright heres the second reading again from driver side to passenger side. 140,85,90,90.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back