The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Street Build Junkyard GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That is a piece of art. Are there welds on the mating side of the flange? Also, how were the threaded insert holes that hold the first runner sections filled? Were the inserts left in then welded over? Or were they removed and holes welded/blended all the way through?

@MorrisonFab can answer all those questions as i don't really know that answer. Sorry I can't help too much!

That is a piece of art. Are there welds on the mating side of the flange? Also, how were the threaded insert holes that hold the first runner sections filled? Were the inserts left in then welded over? Or were they removed and holes welded/blended all the way through?

Thank you!

If you are referring to the exhaust flange with the set screws, that is only used for mock up before the runners are shaped to the oval flange/exhaust port.

Love seeing the progress, Will!!

If you are referring to the exhaust flange with the set screws, that is only used for mock up before the runners are shaped to the oval flange/exhaust port.

Understood. I don't see the set screw holes in the finished product. How do you fill in the set screw holes when you're done with them? Is there a void where the set screws once were, or are they solid weld infilled, or did you run down the set screws then weld over them?

Or is the entire flange with set screw holes a separate tool fixture that you mock up the runners with? Then it's transferred to a final production flange? Sorry, I'm just really interested in how things are made.

Or is the entire flange with set screw holes a separate tool fixture that you mock up the runners with? Then it's transferred to a final production flange? Sorry, I'm just really interested in how things are made.

Exactly :)

We use an oval port exhaust flange which the runners are formed/shaped to the exhaust port rather than the much more common cnc transition flange that makes a fairly abrupt transition from oval to round but requires less tools and time. We did an article on the flange itself with some pretty cool cutaways: http://morrisonfabrications.com/tech/oval-port-flange-vs-transition-flange/

During mock up, having a flange with round holes initially (with the same centerline as the final flange) makes it much easier than trying to oval the initial section first. The set screws are extemely handy as well to get spot on fit-up with a free hand to tack weld things into place.

Fuel lines. Waiting on a couple fittings. Needed different angles. Don't mind the bung i welded on. I am awful at welding but I am learning!
20200722_131302.jpg
20200722_143217.jpg
20200722_143825.jpg
20200722_150439.jpg
20200722_150445.jpg

Morrison fab is coming in clutch once again. I was looking at a -10an return line to go on my beautiful new turbo and decided to wait and not rush and place an order on a nice 3/4 inch drain line from the Morrisons.

It was my origonal goal to have my car race ready by the end of the year. Its going to be close. I want to be completely done and making passes in preparation for IFO in Epping, NH October 4th. I need to really practice too. I have never drag raced. Ever. The people involved alone is what is motivating me to commit to a sport that I have never directly participated in.

What I still need now:
Motor stuff:
-catback
-oil return
-finish fuel lines
-valve cover
-install catch cans
-relocate external oil cooler
-dyno tune

Safety stuff:
-cage
-seat
-harmonic balancer
-scatter shield
-engine diaper/catch pan
-helmet
-fire clothes/stuff

Here is the return line. Imma trim it down a bit to get the right angle and im also going to clock the turbo just a weeeee bit but I wanted to seal up the system. Also have been working on fuel lines. Feed line is done and part of the return.
20200801_153305.jpg
20200801_152315.jpg
20200801_124117.jpg

Lookin good man. What kind of boost are you planning on running. I see you have a 90 silicone elbow right off the compressor housing? I remember mine blowing up like a balloon (it sounded like a firecracker went off). The remedy was to weld on a rigid elbow. I think it was the combination of high boost with sharp flow angles and high temps from the turbine side. Anyhow, keep it coming! Its looking awesome.

Lookin good man. What kind of boost are you planning on running. I see you have a 90 silicone elbow right off the compressor housing? I remember mine blowing up like a balloon (it sounded like a firecracker went off). The remedy was to weld on a rigid elbow. I think it was the combination of high boost with sharp flow angles and high temps from the turbine side. Anyhow, keep it coming! Its looking awesome.
I'll probably be in the ballpark of 30 or 35. I will hit up a buddy of mine about welding on an elbow. Good looking out!

fuel line test fittings got here yesterday. I also placed an order for the vaccum lines I need a few random NTP fittings. Still have another 2 weeks before I expect to receive the valve cover.

Fuel lines all passed pressure tests at 90psi. I dont foresee myself going past that. For anyone that doesn't know, fuel rail pressure is a 1:1 ratio between boost and fuel pressure. For every pound of boost is a pound of fuel rail pressure. If you don't understand why then I will gladly go into further detail.

Exhaust is mostly in. I need to get ahold of m12x1.25x28 studs for the 02 housing. Surprising hard to find so I'm ordering oem bolts. 20 bucks for 2 studs and nuts. Easy day.

I have also ran into an issue with the "tailpipe" of my exhaust. It is an HKS catback and it goes under the rear subframe. If I had googled for 4 seconds I would have known that the ST rear swaybar i got a few years ago wouldn't work. So now I am in contact with Performance Partout for an OEM rear bar for the time being untill i can find a quality RM one.

Lastly im getting my valve cover made by Mike over at Buschur Racing. He does a little side thing on his own outside of Buschure and he does some really unique stuff with OEM valve covers. Obviously he welds in fittings, new baffles, and powdercoat just like everyone else but he also does a billet oil threaded cap. I have never seen it let alone for the price he does it for. Here is the video he linked to me to show what the cap looks like.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back