The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Jumped time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lofty

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2008
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Okay. So my harmonic balancer seperated the other night.
The car ran fine when it seperated. The AC belt was wrapped behind the crank pulley. I cut the belt. I take off the pulley, notice it chewed a hole in the timing area, alright. So I was worried about that. Whatever. I go and put a new one on. Put the alt belt back on. I start it. Takes like more cranks than usual. Starts up, sounds nice, idling high, then it dies down real low, sputters, and dies. Now I try to start it, it just sputters and dies. What.. the ... happened...

Start with a compression test and leak down test. If it did jump time, there is a good chance your intake valves slammed into your pistons. Let's hope not...did you also verify your timing was correct?

Do NOT start it anymore and check all timing marks if they are off then pull the head and check your valves. Sounds to me like your timing is off

Do NOT start it anymore and check all timing marks if they are off then pull the head and check your valves. Sounds to me like your timing is off

Yeah do that first...but if it did skip excessively the damage is already done.

That, or I ran her out of gas.
My gauge cluster doesnt work, I took a hard turn the day the pulley broke, and it just about died. Probably lack of gash and sloshing around in the tank etc etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back