The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Jnz or extreme psi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD-Tony

Proven Member
Sep 11, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
Last edited:
To answer directly, yes I've used the turbo to manifold gasket also used plenty of other stuff from Extreme PSI, that they produced, never had an issue.

With ExtremePSI you are charged shipping and handling ($7.50). Just keep that in mind when price shopping the different vendors. I have ordered from JNZ and Extreme (both semi-local to me) and no issues with their quality or customer service.

A very close friend of mine used to work at JNZ back in the day when JNZ still had an on-site shop. I'm pretty sure he told me once that they used to use TopLine stuff on their repairs. I could shoot him a text to verify if you want. Personally, I've used some TopLine products over the years and never had an issue, but I wouldn't say they were ever "long-term" tested b/c I was always ripping the motor back apart to do something else ....

I would appreciate it if you can reach out to your friend as long as it’s not too much trouble. It’s one of those things where it’s not bad at all now to remove the manifold since I moded the p/s bracket but I’d much rather enjoy boosting rather than wrenching the mani off ever week.
Thanks!!

If you enjoying boosting and not wrenching I would say buy quality products. these cars are pretty finicky when it comes trying to not wanting to pay to much for something. I'e never really read anything terrible about topline products, but it' better to buy better quality now or at least oem (being you have mild upgrades) then have to do it again later because you didn' want to pay up Front now.

They are not finicky the main reason they have the rep of being unreliable is because of cheap owners. I get the mindset of why buy a 20$ gasket when a 5$ looks the same? Because they are not the same there's a reason why one is 20 and the other is 5.
Like anything else you buy once cry once. I learned this the hard way over the years buying cheap parts. My current build I'm not skimping I've researched everything and all the gaskets and seals are either oem or felpro I don't want a cheap gasket that I could of spent an extra 5 dollars on costing me hours or more money down the road.
You don't step over a dollar to pick up a penny, that's how I look at engine components. Your time is worth money.

I'd go with the single and add a skim coat of bearing grease to both flanges. The grease burns and turns into a great carbon seal I've been doing it for years and works great. I've heard issues with their 6 layers I've used the single and didn't have issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brian. My initial thought was the MLS. I don't want to cheap out either on this build but if there's an proven alternative, why not. Kid gave me a cheap genesis afpr but I spend the $200 and purchased fuel labs' 515.

They are not finicky the main reason they have the rep of being unreliable is because of cheap owners. I get the mindset of why buy a 20$ gasket when a 5$ looks the same? Because they are not the same there's a reason why one is 20 and the other is 5.
Like anything else you buy once cry once. I learned this the hard way over the years buying cheap parts. My current build I'm not skimping I've researched everything and all the gaskets and seals are either oem or felpro I don't want a cheap gasket that I could of spent an extra 5 dollars on costing me hours or more money down the road.
You don't step over a dollar to pick up a penny, that's how I look at engine components. Your time is worth money.
So maybe finicky wasn' the right word of choice LOL. But I think we all mean the same thing and understand that with these cars generally your gonna be fixing more parts then driving the car if you try to buy cheap parts. But you worded it better then me LOL.

No. No. No. Do not go with the single layer metal gasket. They do not hold up. get the 6 layer evo style, trust me. they're worth the extra $$. also make absolutely sure your flanges are flat.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/ran-fine-yesterday-no-wont-build-boost.506811/

ask me how I know :)

Plus FWIW I bought like 4 from extreme psi during black Friday sale and got them for pretty cheap.. STM advertises the evo style but they're not too far from my house and when I got there it was the cheap single layer.. so beware of that. I've talked to Emery about getting the higher quality ones but he said it wasn't something they sold very often so he wasn't too worried about it.

Everything I have ever purchased for my car has been from extremepsi. When they don’t have a part or I’m looking for something rare. I go to JNZ tuning both have awesome customer service. If for some reason I strike out on both those sites MAPerformance is next then finally used or discounted parts in the classified section.

That's strange I've never had an issue with the single. But I always make sure my flanges are flat or at least halfway decent flat. Either one will be a step up from the pos that you had LOL. I know there's a lot of guys on here that don't run gaskets just a good flat true flanges and then a coating of bearing grease.

I know a guy who has spent around 30k + at exteme psi, is that good enough?
I do as well LOL, just shows who is probably the go to spot for majority of dsm parts.

I'd go with the single and add a skim coat of bearing grease to both flanges. The grease burns and turns into a great carbon seal I've been doing it for years and works great. I've heard issues with their 6 layers I've used the single and didn't have issues
Never heard of the bearing grease trick, may have to try that one day. My dad got me using Indian head, in which I've always done ever since he taught me to do.

Turbo side needed a lot of work. Finally got it pretty decent after an hour or so of back breaking work. Waiting on gaskets. Don’t know if I want to apply bearing grease and I don’t have any either. Plan on using copper spray.

A very close friend of mine used to work at JNZ back in the day when JNZ still had an on-site shop. I'm pretty sure he told me once that they used to use TopLine stuff on their repairs. I could shoot him a text to verify if you want. Personally, I've used some TopLine products over the years and never had an issue, but I wouldn't say they were ever "long-term" tested b/c I was always ripping the motor back apart to do something else ....

I'd love to hear more about this. Please ask Mr. Wilson to elaborate.

This is an old one. For anyone that’s looking into the topline gasket set, I wouldn’t buy it again. Crank seal only lasted a year and their composite hg won’t hold past 30psi.

This is an old one. For anyone that’s looking into the topline gasket set, I wouldn’t buy it again. Crank seal only lasted a year and their composite hg won’t hold past 30psi.

Which is exactly why we *didn't* use Topline stuff (not including lash adjusters when Mitsu first tripled their price on OEM units) or Fel-Pro in the shop unless the customer supplied and insisted on them. Funny note to this--the person who supposedly stated that we *did* use Topline stuff in the shop was roommates with a friend of mine. Ironically enough, I met said friend back in the day due to his car being built by another shop who used FelPro gaskets on the entire build and I ended up replacing almost everything with Mitsu gaskets before we stopped all of the leaks that occurred in first year after it was rebuilt.

I'm a little confused by the defensive tone of your responses. My response (from 2 years ago) only stated that I thought I remembered your employee saying you used TopLine and I that I was willing to follow up. It was never meant as attack on JNZ or TopLine for that matter. BTW I did follow up, although, I never posted the response. Said person stated that JNZ never used TopLine gaskets - only the lash adjusters which lines up with what you posted above, which must have been what I was remembering.

I'm not sure who think I am but I was never roommates with the person you're referring to and my car has never been to a shop other than for inspections. I'm not sure if you're referring to me or my car, but I've always done all my own work. I had nothing but great experiences with getting parts from JNZ back in the day. Both Paul and Erik were very helpful.

I'm a little confused by the defensive tone of your responses. My response (from 2 years ago) only stated that I thought I remembered your employee saying you used TopLine and I that I was willing to follow up. It was never meant as attack on JNZ or TopLine for that matter. BTW I did follow up, although, I never posted the response. Said person stated that JNZ never used TopLine gaskets - only the lash adjusters which lines up with what you posted above, which must have been what I was remembering.

I'm not sure who think I am but I was never roommates with the person you're referring to and my car has never been to a shop other than for inspections. I'm not sure if you're referring to me or my car, but I've always done all my own work. I had nothing but great experiences with getting parts from JNZ back in the day. Both Paul and Erik were very helpful.

Isn't it pretty clear?

You "did follow up" but "didn't post your response".

You claimed that we "may have used" inferior parts in our shop according to your "source", but then never clarified it, and just let people assume. Do you really need someone to explain my issue with that?

You also claim the "from 2 years ago" response, but it still shows up in a search under our name, *AND* it just so happens that I see another post from April of this year with you claiming similar "inside knowledge" from "your source" of our business dealings. Please see: Brand New Axle Seals Leaking Here again, you don't come out and say it, but someone viewing it may assume you're saying that we sell non-OEM parts as OEM. Considering we've bought/sold (MANY) millions of dollars of OEM parts and about $2000 in Topline parts (mostly lifters) over my 23-24 year history of selling/working on these cars (I just ran a report in my accounting system), I think even you can see why that comment riles me up a bit.

As for the "who you think I am" aspect, you misunderstood my statement. I was talking about your "Source"'s roommate in my example of why we don't use/sell the aftermarket parts you said we may have used in the past in our shop (please find us selling them on our site...).

Moving onto your quote of "I've always done all of my own work". It took me all of 5 minutes to figure out who you were. Who your "source" is in a quick search of your posts. You getting work done at JMF (Jim is a wizard, BTW), Erik commenting on your post, you posting about work done on your car at R/T, pictures of your car with Erik's BRZ....

I've spoken to several other ex-employees (and still friends of mine) about this as I don't take people semi-slandering me sitting down, despite their need for attention. Maybe I need to make a call to your "source" and figure our what this is stemming from.

Last edited:
No. No. No. Do not go with the single layer metal gasket. They do not hold up. get the 6 layer evo style, trust me. they're worth the extra $$. also make absolutely sure your flanges are flat.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/ran-fine-yesterday-no-wont-build-boost.506811/

ask me how I know :)

Plus FWIW I bought like 4 from extreme psi during black Friday sale and got them for pretty cheap.. STM advertises the evo style but they're not too far from my house and when I got there it was the cheap single layer.. so beware of that. I've talked to Emery about getting the higher quality ones but he said it wasn't something they sold very often so he wasn't too worried about it.

Dang it! LOL I LITERALLY just put the single layer gasket on because I'm putting a new (to me) manifold on... didn't even know there was a 6 ply version. I thought the single layer didn't look quite right... looks like I'm gonna have to get a new gasket eventually. I'm still on stock psi tho...

As for the subject of this thread, spending the money now saves you more money later. But more expensive doesn't always mean more quality. But I've only had my dsm for a year and a half, so I'm not exactly experienced :D just try to contribute what I can.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back