The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Jerking at low rpm's!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipse_16g

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2008
Naugatuck, Connecticut
I finally got my car on the road after putting my engine into this new shell. After driving around I noticed a hard jerking and loud bang while driving in 1st or 2nd gear at very low rpm's. It happens when I put slight pressure on the gas pedal, and when kept steady with slight pressure at low rpm's.
Also only when I'm decelerating where the driveshaft meets the rear dif is rubbing on my exhaust.
There were no bolts in the top of the rear dif mount, so I put them in, and tight, also checked every bolt holding the differential in place, still them same thing. Changed out the rear suspension with Agx adjustables, and Eibach pro kit springs, still the same thing.
I also replaced the driveshaft with one with good carrier barrings on it, stiull the same thing.
Any input would help, thank you.

On your differential mount, were there bushings in it? Since there were no bolts I'm going to assume there was no bushing in it?

I have poly inserts in my tranny and d/s mount, the others are good. The lower bolt slot on the block for the rear mount has broken off, but still has the upper spot bolted on.
Yeah my other car used to jump, but this isn't just a jump, it's a bang, I feel like I'm gonna get whip lash when it happens.
I'm not sure if the mount has the bushing but I will check, where should I look for them?
Why would my differential be scraping my exhaust only on deceleration? I can see that it's not hitting when the car is not driving. It's like the dif is falling down and rubbing it. It's a full Apexi n1.

I have poly inserts in my tranny and d/s mount, the others are good. The lower bolt slot on the block for the rear mount has broken off, but still has the upper spot bolted on.
Yeah my other car used to jump, but this isn't just a jump, it's a bang, I feel like I'm gonna get whip lash when it happens.
I'm not sure if the mount has the bushing but I will check, where should I look for them?
Why would my differential be scraping my exhaust only on deceleration? I can see that it's not hitting when the car is not driving. It's like the dif is falling down and rubbing it. It's a full Apexi n1.

Because under decel your differential is attempting to rotate down, on acceleration it's attempting to rotate upwards. If you don't have those bushings in, it's free to rotate as it pleases as the bushings are part of what centers the housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back