The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Jdm w4a33

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SIC1Gb

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
So my W4A33 is acting up and rather than pay 2600.00 to get it rebuilt right now i found a JDM engine importer that had a W4A33 in stock. Went and picked it up for pretty cheap and looked at the connectors and it doesnt seem that they are exactly the same.

I emailed John at IPT and he said they are not compatible.

My question is what about if i run the Kiggly Shifter mod? The shifter harness has the same wire colors as does the solenoid pack wires also. Seems like i could wire the shifter mod and make it work?

Anybody have any experience with these JDM transmission? John says you can ID them easily since they have a steel diff cover and not aluminum.

The actual dimensions will not work. The transmissions are completely different minus the fact they share part numbers

Take a pic of the connectors that don't match up..Might just be the difference between 91 and 93 connectors...Did it come from jdmenginescorp in Richardson Texas? Also, is the torque converter the same depth as yours ?

To be honest I bought it on my way out of town to work so I haven't looked side by side at them I have some pics of the jdm Trans ill post in a bit.

So the case is totally different?
Not a lot of info out there for this!

Update?

Still out of town. But ill look when i get back. According to IPT its a paperweight.

Update for future searches

DON'T BUY A JDM TRANSMISSION!!!

They do NOT bolt up the same ( at least in a 1g and they have and are wired for a non lockup converter)

IPT told me an easy way to tell if you have a JDM trans is to look at the diff cover, if its black steel then its a JDM trans. This is true on 2g cars (usdm features and aluminum diff cover). 1g cars USDM or JDM though have black steel diff covers. The easiest way i found to tell the difference is at the frontmost part of the trans there is a grommet with wires going into it. A JDM Trans has 2 and a USDM has 3 wires. I'm told the extra wire on a USDM is for a lockup converer. It wasnt a total loss for me, i beleive i can still use the Tcase. (at the very least the case of it is the same)

Hope this Helps, Save yourself the headache and buy a USDM one on here or a junk yard.

This is not completely accurate. I had a JDM trans and t-case in my 1991 for a while until I burnt the clutches up. The connectors all matched and it bolts up perfectly. There is one or two #'s that are slightly different than the UPC # on the USDM. It should say w4a33xxxxxx. If I remember, I will try to find the #'s tonight. It was purchased with a jdm motor years and years ago in OH.

This is not completely accurate. I had a JDM trans and t-case in my 1991 for a while until I burnt the clutches up. The connectors all matched and it bolts up perfectly. There is one or two #'s that are slightly different than the UPC # on the USDM. It should say w4a33xxxxxx. If I remember, I will try to find the #'s tonight. It was purchased with a jdm motor years and years ago in OH.

Hmm.. I bought mine off an ebay store that was close to my house. Not only was the houing differently but the connectors were different. The gear select lever on a JDM has a smaller plug right off the lever, the USDM has wires for about a foot to a Large connector.

All US 1g turbo transmissions, 91-94 have non-lockup converters..A 91-early 92 1g turbo auto cars have four harness differences between a LATE 92-94 1g turbo trans..
1) three plug tcu = early / 2plug tcu = late
2) the temperature harness is different
3) the kickdown switch cover and harness are different
4) the gear selector switch and harness are different

It would be a big help if you could post some pics of your harness differences..Even if your over it, it might help someone else..Me included :)

Here's some pics I have . The one with blue tape on the connectors is USDM. The one on the bottom is usdm

Hmm for some reason the other pics won't upload. But you can see the difference in the cases an the bolt pattern

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 493
I'm not sure if its the same for the 2.0 or not but for the 1.8 cars the trannys can not be interchanged between the Chrysler variants and the eclipse. Don't know why but they decided to change a bunch of stuff around between the two. Didn't know this til I drove 200 miles to Nashville and bought one from an eclipse to put in my laser.

The harness differences are early 1g and late 1g..The 3 things that are different in the harnesses are direct swap outs..I wouldn't bother with the temp harness though...Blue tape is US transmission..
G - gear selector
K - kickdown switch
T - temperature sensor on valve body

Bellhousings

Attachments

• cody a.JPG
    cody a.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 528
  • cody b.JPG
    cody b.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 526
  • cody c.JPG
    cody c.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 515
  • cody d edit 2.JPG
    cody d edit 2.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 501
  • both trans ed.jpg
    both trans ed.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 268
also notice the case bolt pattern is different. I tried to spline the US torque converter onto the JDM trans and it will not get past the 1st set of splines. I tried on the US trans just to be sure and it spines on all the way. I tried for about 10 min to get it on the JDM trans but it will not match up.

Are you saying late 1g trans and 2g trans' connect the same as the pictured JDM trans?

Are you saying late 1g trans and 2g trans' connect the same as the pictured JDM trans?

I don't have any 2g transmissions, but ,we all know a 6 bolt block and 7 bolt block will bolt to both a 1g and 2g transmission...
Do you have a pic of the JDM convertor ?
Thanx for the pics...

Sure no problem. I almost wonder if this may be an RVR Trans? Also the flexplate is completely flat on the jdm and the USDM has an offset. Don't have my stock flexplate to take a pic of because its installed though

Was the bellhousing different on your JDM trans ? Like the one pictured..

Cody, can you check the ID number on the JDM trans ? A Google search should show if its an RVR...

Attachments

• cody b ID.JPG
    cody b ID.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 390
Jdm= w4a331fn6
USDM = w4a33k1up6

As far as converters go. I cannot get either converter to spline all the way onto the jdm Trans. However the jdm converter slides all the way onto my USDM Trans fine so it leads me to believe there is no difference. From outside appearance they are exactly the same in every aspect

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back