The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

JDM Took Hook hmm??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^^ True ^^ But my question is, when did it become cool to be towed? I remember my first tow, it was kind of like a walk of shame. I must have missed something when I dozed off during Too Fast Too Furious. ;) Just kidding, to each their own. :p

It's a style thing, these days. I have the pop-out mount for one on the Coupe, but can't quite bring myself to do it, despite some Kimchi (rice was taken by the Japanese cars) mods I have.

haha "kimchi" Im going to borrow that one in the future!

ohh yeah, haha I remember that, you scared the hell out of me!

Why is it JDM?

They didnt even sell these cars in japan.
Instead of buying a tow hook, just buy a car trailer. That way you can hook up wherever you want, and there is nothing weird sticking out of your car.

If you track your car, it's a good idea to have tow hooks, properly mounted. Eventually something will brake, or you will end up off the track and brake some important bits in the process.

If you'd don't track your car, and are doing this to "Look cool", don't waste your time, there are better places to spend the money. But if you must, you really should try and do it right, at least so much that it is functional.

John (TsiAWD666) has an excellent setup, his front tow hook is attached to a tube frame that is welded/bolted to the frame on either side of the engine/trans. It also doubles as a license plate attachment point when he's not tracking.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Apparently I removed the stock hooks....but I definitely don't remember doing so.

I must've too ... guess those tow truck drivers know more about DSMs than we do :idontknow:

Put a tow hook on it, I could have used one a few times when my cars decided to breakdown on the side of the road. Typically I've got to pull my front bumper cover and have the driver hook the front LCA's. Just think before you install it, it's there to pull your 2700+ lb. car onto a flatbed not look "cool" and "JDM".

For those of you with common sense, how much would you pay to see a tow truck driver try to pull this DSM up on a flat bed? This is an example of a NONE functional tow hook. :applause:

:dsm:

I'd pay money to see this thing towed. It'd be like that vidoe of the Geo Storm stuck in the snowbank and they try to pull it out by hooking up a tow strap to the bumper cover....and end up tearing the back of the car off.....ROFL

Last edited:
IDK why anyone with a DSM would put a tow hook on for looks. But I want a tow hook so my car can be towed up onto a flatbed NOT towed behind another car. Im trying to find a mounting location for the front OR rear just so when the tow guy pulls it up on a flatbed they dont break my bumper Again*

IDK why anyone with a DSM would put a tow hook on for looks. But I want a tow hook so my car can be towed up onto a flatbed NOT towed behind another car. Im trying to find a mounting location for the front OR rear just so when the tow guy pulls it up on a flatbed they dont break my bumper Again*

if dsm broke down, I didnt know tow guy put the hook on the bumper to pull. WTF. ( it going to rip the bumper).

if dsm broke down, I didnt know tow guy put the hook on the bumper to pull. WTF. ( it going to rip the bumper).

He didnt put it on the bumper he put in going under the front bumper going to the crossmember and while pulling it up the chain split the bottom lip in the middle.

To each their own with the whole tow hook. They aren't exactly necessary, and most people I believe do it for the aesthetics. My personal opinion would be use the money elsewhere on something important.

I HAD a Benen tow hook on mine... I drilled some holes into the bumper support and bolted it up. It was sturdy, but i never actually used it for a tow, since i never needed one. But i ended up selling it for more than i paid for it 6months later. LOL.
This picture is from August 2011... My gsx has changed alot now, LOL

This is my biggest problem with the DSM community. Anybody that wants to do something that hasn't been done to every other DSM out there, gets flamed and called rice. Then it goes to the whole, "why are todays DSMers so cheap and ricey?", or "sell your DSM and go buy a Honda". Man, #### that. I'm tired of this shit. Whos car is it? If its not yours, mind your own damn business. And on the cheap aspect, not all of us have wonderful, high paying jobs with unlimited funds to dump into our cars. Some of us live week to week.

Well, it is a Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement...

This is my biggest problem with the DSM community. Anybody that wants to do something that hasn't been done to every other DSM out there, gets flamed and called rice. Then it goes to the whole, "why are todays DSMers so cheap and ricey?", or "sell your DSM and go buy a Honda". Man, #### that. I'm tired of this shit. Whos car is it? If its not yours, mind your own damn business. And on the cheap aspect, not all of us have wonderful, high paying jobs with unlimited funds to dump into our cars. Some of us live week to week.

You probably shouldn't be spending that money modifying a car then..

Also as this is a public forum, everyone is allowed their input.

Somethings are cheap and ricey. This is one of those things if done simply for cosmetics.

If you spend time at the strip/track, or just have an unreliable half-ass hacked together POS it would be more appropriate. LOL

And on the cheap aspect, not all of us have wonderful, high paying jobs with unlimited funds to dump into our cars. Some of us live week to week.

So, you think it would be a good idea to spend that "week-to-week" money on a part that serves no purpose other than looks and cannot be properly installed on a DSM? Flawed logic. If one were tight with money, they should be spending their discretionary funds on keeping the car running or making it more reliable, not wasting it on ill-fitting cosmetic parts.

So, you think it would be a good idea to spend that "week-to-week" money on a part that serves no purpose other than looks and cannot be properly installed on a DSM? Flawed logic. If one were tight with money, they should be spending their discretionary funds on keeping the car running or making it more reliable, not wasting it on ill-fitting cosmetic parts.
My logic isn't to spend that week to week money on non-functioning cosmetic parts. In my post, I didn't condone the tow hook. I simply stated that something that isn't done on every other DSM out there is bad. But yes, making the car more reliable should be a higher priority over cosmetic upgrades.

Well, it is a Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement...
I know Lando... I wasn't saying a non functional tow hook was a good idea. I just meant that something different doesn't always have to be bad.

You probably shouldn't be spending that money modifying a car then..

Also as this is a public forum, everyone is allowed their input.

Somethings are cheap and ricey. This is one of those things if done simply for cosmetics.

If you spend time at the strip/track, or just have an unreliable half-ass hacked together POS it would be more appropriate. LOL
Ever look at my avatar picture? My car is far from finished, haha. What I do with my money though, is completely up to my wife and I. If I have extra money and I put it into my "half-ass hacked together POS", then thats on me. Nothing you need to worry about.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back