The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

JDM AWD/FWD switchable transmission

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90tsiawdturbo

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
New London, Wisconsin
Ok so I was putting my motor back in the Talon today and came across a sticker on the trans that seemed out of place, so I wiped the dirt off and got a closer look and it said: 2wd<>4wd. My mind wandered back to when I was browsing the VFAQ and saw the JDM switchable trans writeup, so I double take and think, could it really be?!

I'm looking for more information on these and I heard they were kind of rare? It was in my car when I bought it and the P.O. said nothing about the trans at all. It doesn't look like it was put it recently as it's very dirty but it still shifts fine. :thumb:

So anybody with some info on these, please help me out! Thanks! :)

I have one as well, haven't put it in FWD yet.

Me either. The write up said something about the xcase too, like a bolt or bracket or something to put it into fwd. Do I have to get a specific xcase for the switchable trans or can I just use any xcase?

What he said. You gotta configure them both. Take out bolts and brackets

Any ideas how this thing got under my hood? It's not stock for my Talon, where would a guy get one of these trans (or get parts for it)? Are the internals the same as a normal AWD trans beside double syncroed 5th? Or would I have to get specific internals for a switchable trans?

How can I tell if I have a switchable xcase? Lol sorry about all the questions. Oh yea, how rare are these transmissions? Because I know the more rare it is, the harder the parts are to find and there usually more expensive!

They came on Galant VR4s, JDM Galant VR4s. The first gear is taller but I think they are weaker.

Yup, they are weaker. As for the differences if you follow the link above, it should point out the differences.

I have yet to break mine though

Does anyone know who does rebuilds on these, like Shep or TRE?

If I don't have a switchable xcase could I just drop the driveshaft and xcase if I wanted to go into FWD? Or is it useless to have a switchable trans w/o the switchable xcase?

Also where would I get one of these switchable xcases? Would I have to look for it in Japan or what? LOL

[quote="90tsiawdturbo, post: 152335053"If I don't have a switchable xcase could I just drop the driveshaft and xcase if I wanted to go into FWD? [/QUOTE]

I don't think you could just drop the driveshaft, I believe it still has the viscous coupler.

I don't think you could just drop the driveshaft, I believe it still has the viscous coupler.

Yep, the switchable trans definitely has a viscous coupler still.
To properly operate in FWD mode as said, the switchable t-case is needed.
They do have the taller 1st gear too.

If you put in 2wd mode though, it is supposed to lock the front differential, which would be similar to welding the center diff. I never tried that in mine, because I was afraid of breaking something. Although I basically broke the 3rd shift fork every time I no-lift shifted LOL

If I don't have a switchable xcase could I just drop the driveshaft and xcase if I wanted to go into FWD?

Yes, If you put your transmission in FWD mode, you can remove your T-case and driveshaft and run in FWD. The trans simply locks the VC when it's put in FWD mode.

The advantage of the switchable transfercase is that it can be switched to freewheel (FWD mode), and save you the work of removing it every time you want/need FWD.

Exactly, and it can also help free up some MPG's or can allow you to run on a FWD dyno in case you dont have access to an AWD dyno.

Not sure what you want me to explain. With my switchable trans and t-case, If I switched just the trans, it would go into fwd mode.

Are you sure its not doing any damage? cause im pretty sure there is a reason why you have to do both....

To be completely honest with you, its been so long I dont really remember. But, when that pin releases, it disengages the output shaft. so technically, its fine. However, by not switching the t-case, the rear wheels will spin the output shaft themselves. Ive broken axles and done this, drove home 30 miles and it was fine. I ended up shearing the teeth off 1st so I quit using this trans.

why would you want to switch to FWD periodically..? Pointless in my opinion..

Better gas mileage.....among other things

because u snapped a tailshaft or broke a driveshaft

Because its the only way your car will burnout LOL, J/k.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back