The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

JaxTalonTurbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxTalonTSi

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2004
Jacksonville, Florida
I put this on another DSM forum, but thought I'd put it up here for myself just in case the other wasn't around in a few years, and I wanted to look back. :)

Hello,

Some of you may know me, I'm JaxTalonTurbo aka Paul, and I used to be part of the DSM group in Charleston, SC and Jacksonville, FL, as I've lived in both places off and on for the past decade or so. I currently live in Glendale AZ, and it's very different here. But I still have my 1g. This car has led me to some of the funnest times, best friends, and has proved to be the learning foundation for everything I know in the performance/forced induction world. It's a bit different now, and I don't have any of my friends around, but I soldier on with my project.

I picked up this car in May of 2004 after being exhausted of domestics (I had just sold my LT1 Corvette) and wanted something factory forced induction. I found this car at Warehouse Motors in Jacksonville FL, and traded them a 3.8L V6 Firebird and $500 for it. I was really excited to start getting into it, and I would end up doing my first timing belt job on it, along with replacing the blown up 14b within weeks of first purchasing it. Here are some shots of it the day I bought it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I drove this car for about a year and a half before parking it for what would be almost five years. I ended up getting tied up into other DSMs, including a 2g FWD that I swapped a 6 bolt with a 16g and supporting mods that made around 400hp. Between then and now, I have owned six 1gs, all of them all wheel drive, and all of them sent to the crusher besides this gold one, and another 90 Talon which I ended up selling to a good friend of mine.

This car started out stocker than stock. I later added an EvoIII 16g, MAFT and GM MAF, 680cc injectors, 3" exhaust, Walbro pump ect. The car was slow, unreliable, and I was not ready to give it the attention it demanded at the time. So it sat outside for almost two years in my father's boat shop yard, and almost another 3 in storage units.
Heres one place it would sit for a long time:

My good friend Kyle Smith in Jacksonville helping me swap in a 4 bolt rear in 05 or 06

The gold car among others I would end up parting. Also pictured is my 2g which I would end up devoting alot of time and effort into.

Cooking up some blow up engines:

My 1g also helped me find good friends in Charleston. Heres a good friend of mine, Lawrence, who at the time also had a 1g. He would later on end up getting a brand new Evolution IX MR. Circa 2005ish.

Heres a good friend of mine, Victor aka 6bolt2g on old 4G63HP.com Victor has been a big influence on me in terms of honing whatever technical ability I may have, and learning to build engines with precision. He built his first engine, a 6 bolt 4G63, himself, which would later power his red 2g to make over 420HP with little more than a 16g and supporting mods at a time when alot of guys werent doing so with even a 50 trim in that area. He has personally built two amazing bottom ends for me that have withstood more than I ever imagined I could throw at them. He also has built numerous other engines in that garage, including a nasty 4G63 that ended up in our good friend Kyle's black Talon with 50 trim power back in 06-07. An excellent engine builder, and a huge part in my gold car's build up!

One of our rebuilds, very similar to what is in my 1g today:

In 2009, I pulled my 1g out of storage and started to put together something to wail on. I knew I wasn't ready to a full out build, so I put together the best rebuild I could using parts I still had, while buying new forged pistons and rods among other things in preparation for what will be my next engine.

The car by this time was extremely rough. I had rattle can blacked the front just to make it somewhat uniform, as all the top surfaces and front end finish had been damaged by the sun.

Me and my friend Victor would end up throwing an engine together from parts quite literally laying around, and making a car that looked like complete garbage, but pumped the doors off everything from turbo Hondas to modded LS1s and even a Nissan GTR.

So in a few years, my 1g had gone from this:

To this:

It was time to get my shit together. It wasn't going to be pretty, but unlike my last bout with the car, I was determined to make it move, that is, without ####ed up break up issues and BS. Armed with a bit more knowledge about what worked and what didn't (from my 2g) I began putting a new "on the road" engine together. This engine consists of:

6 bolt cylinder head
stock valves
Kiggly Beehive springs
FP4R camshafts
6 bolt block, factory size bore, honed
four pistons, pulled out of four different engines I had pulled. (All four were the "best" out of all the others, which isn't saying alot, considering these still have indentions in the valve reliefs from previous timing belt failures).
Stock rods
Good used oil pump with 90 straight cut drive and driven gears
Eliminated balance shafts (mirage stub)

Bolt ons and mods are:
"Magnus" (previously exploded from meth backfire, LOL) SMIM
Dejon Race Front Mount Intercooler
GM MAF/MAFT
ECMLink V2.5
Walbro 255
Aeromotive AFPR
RC 1000cc/min injectors
Precision SCM-50
Tubular 02 housing w Tial 38mm external gate
Jay Racing alternator relocate kit
3" turbo back exhaust, catless

The 50 trim before it's last rebuild, in all it's broken off 02 housing bolt glory:

This time around, I was not going to fight bullshit that would hinder me from going fast, keeping it on the road or being reliable. No more fighting leaking heater cores, shitty ancient power steering lines ect. I took it all out. So that means No AC, No heat, no power steering, no cruise.

We assembled the engine, and I threw in a transmission I had laying around. There was a time I literally had a shipping container full of parts. Over 5 cars worth of running gear and misc parts. By this time, I had sold most all of it, and I had just found a left over transmission, transfer case, and propshaft to throw in the car. I ordered new propshaft hardware and grommets for the carriers from Mitsu, along with anything else that was questionable. All gaskets were OEM Mitsu (I was working at Mitsu parts at the time).

Here is the engine in the car when we dumped it in just to break it in, still with a stock inlet manifold:

I also became an expert at pulling the pedal assembly. If you've never had the (dis)pleasure of doing this, good for you! Unfortunately, my strong ACT pressure plate, along with a shittty design by Mitsu with their shitty shaft/key strip out setup made engagement impossible. After a few botched weld jobs on a few different pedal setups, I finally got one right.

So after not moving under it's own power in years, we cranked it, checked vitals, and drove it down the road:

[video=youtube;yfHkWR3mcqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfHkWR3mcqY[/video]

So it's hard, in AZ, all of these guys styling on me. I was a bit jelly, so I figured it's finally time to freshen this old biznatch up. I know alot of people aren't very fond of the champaign color, aka Pewter Mist Metallic, but it's grown on me over the years. Not to mention I HATE color changes, because most often they aren't done correctly and I really am not going to strip the car down to nearly nothing at all to spray this inside, undercarrage, ect.

There was some MAJOR body work to do, the biggest being my RH quarter panel. About two months before I left FL, my bi*** neighbor backed into my car. I KNOW it was her, but because I nor anybody else saw her, or could prove she did it, she got away with a hit and run. We started with that quarter, and worked our way around the car. My dad used to do body work for a living, so he was pretty much the brains of the operation. He lays down the paint and plastic, I prep the car.

This hood was especially rough, as was the roof. The top surfaces have to be perfect, or the imperfections will stand out after paint.

Here are some old pictures of fun times with the Orange Park/Jacksonville DSM crew.

Kyle's 1g was beating up on Evos with 35Rs and nasty bolt ons back then:

Road Trips to SC to buy sketchy GVR4 shells:

Family in Charleston is fun, even more when they are getting into DSM trouble of their own! I wish Ed kept this car:

Charleston guys, who knows how shitty the Northwoods Mall is, LOL?

Late night nitrous installs can make you delusional:

Heres a good shot of one of our improptu mini-meets.

Here were some snaps as some of the loose body panels were shot with paint, and some body work continued on the car.

So my beater is pretty much painted. I still am assembling it, but I also had to pull the turbo and replace my cracked 02 housing with a stainless Slowboy piece, so it's down at the moment. The paint turned out pretty good for a sprayed-in-the-garage deal, and for the $300 or so we had in paint and material. We are still doing the final wetsanding and buffing, and all of the misc BS trim and whatnot aren't on yet. These crappy pictures don't do it much justice. It's going to look pretty decent once I iron out some of the details on the exterior and get the windows tinted. Pretty big change from the dented up faded rattle can job it sported the last six years.

More updates soon.

Good story and pics man!!! Can't wait to see that beast up n running!

Nice post! The paint job came out great! :thumb:

Thanks man. Yeah, it's still a POS, but at least after I put it all back together I can park it outside and not bring the property value down in the neighborhood. ROFL

Good story and pics man!!! Can't wait to see that beast up n running!

Me too, LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back