The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHSTII

Proven Member
Jul 1, 2021
Nashville, Tennessee
Alright, I’ve avoided this for as long as I could…

Go ahead and clown on me 😂 At this point I just want the answer.

I did find an old thread addressing a similar issue, but I need new ideas. Any clue how to get this thing out?

I was all proud of myself for getting out the axle, but I guess I jinxed myself and got the end of it jammed. Same thing happened on the other side, except the boot was stuck on there too.

A vice-grip slide hammer pulled out the passenger side from the “cup.” Obviously though, I wasn’t lucky enough for the same to be the case on the driver’s side. Vice grips aren’t working on that stub.

You can probably tell from the comparison picture, the old ones were too short 🙄 Both OEM (somehow). I’m replacing them because the driver’s side kept popping out, and that’s how I found out.

Any advice, folks?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Yeah, the comparison was just for reference so you could see what’s stuck.

Trying to pull the stub out of the car.

No offense, just starting with the basics, did you remove the two bolts from the housing that mounts to the block?

That is an out of the vehicle view of the intermediate shaft. This part is also referred to as a Halfshaft, stub shaft, jack shaft. I have no idea why it has so many names.

Is that what you’re trying to remove?

The awd drivers axle is two pieces. There is an intermediate axle shaft that goes into the transmission. A pic was just posted. The "stub" as you have referenced is not part of the axle. It's the intermediate part. There are two bolts on the axle bearing housing to remove it from the car. Your old drivers axle looks to be the correct one. I hope you didn't damage that stub. No amount of pulling will remove it. As mentioned it is bolted in. The other new axle you pictured looks to be the passenger side.

The awd drivers axle is two pieces. There is an intermediate axle shaft that goes into the transmission. A pic was just posted. The "stub" as you have referenced is not part if the axle. It's the intermediate part. There are two bolts on the axle bearing housing to remove it from the car. Your old drivers axle looks to be the correct one. I hope you didn't damage that stub. No amount of pulling will remove it. As mentioned it is bolted in. The other new axle you pictured looks to be the passenger side.
Dang! Thanks, I genuinely would not have figured that out.

A vice-grip slide hammer pulled out the passenger side from the “cup.” Obviously though, I wasn’t lucky enough for the same to be the case on the driver’s side. Vice grips aren’t working on that stub.
For the future: On the passenger side just wedge 2 large flat bladed (wide tip) screwdrivers 180* apart (or as far apart as you can) between the CV housing case and the tranny to pry the axle out. It will pop out rediculously easy when you pry it straight out at the same time equally on both sides. Don't use a vice grip slide hammer because you can't pull it straight out and risk damage to the splines and oil seal (not to mention you may break the axle circlip and it may fall inside the tranny).

Last edited:
Got it. Seriously guys, thanks for your help.
For the future: On the passenger side just wedge 2 large flat bladed (wide tip) screwdrivers 180* apart (or as far apart as you can) between the CV housing case and the tranny to pry the axle out. It will pop out rediculously easy when you pry it straight out at the same time equally on both sides. Don't use a vice grip slide hammer because you can't pull it straight out and risk damage to the splines and oil seal (not to mention you may break the axle circlip and it may fall inside the tranny).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back