The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

JACKS TRANSMISSIONS IS DONE WITH DSM's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its understandable if they are loosing money the have to discontinue the service time to save up for a dogbox no wonder the other day i was trying to get a quote and they blew me off .. at least they will still offer the clusters

^^ then I'll have a robotrippin evo3 trans LOL haha man I should have tried that with the old one, it's really sick and stuck haha here's the basics of my new trans.
Evo3 1,2,3,4 gears stock 2g 5th, micropolished shafts, shotpeened internals, case debur, gear detailing, oiling mods, syncro blueprinting, hub/sliders polished, replacement 3rd and 4th syncro for future replacement if ever needed. Double syncros on 2, 3,4 and modded shift forks for high rpm shifting, tre front LSD shootpeened and welded center.

Last edited:
Well looks like we lost an option for getting a transmission rebuilt. We are down to 2 rebuilders TRE and TMZ now, that I know of.

TMZ is still offering transmission rebuilds, Tim is just currently in the process of building a new shop and has had a lot of parts come in for rebuild. His site says that he is booked until October but nothing states that he is discontinuing the service.

http://www.TMZperformance.com/

@twicks69 can you confirm that you are still performing these services (but are currently backed up) and that I have not missed something?

I am still working on backlog of transmissions from March, and am in the process of building a shop and finishing some large long term projects. I am expecting around October to take jobs back on.

Evo 3 parts are still available but Evo 1 and 2 stuff is now gone. PPG and PAR dogboxes are still available, as well as faceplate dogbox transmissions for DSM and Evo applications.

When the shop is ready I will take on customer stuff again.

I've ran auto setups. They are only good for 1/8, and 1/4 mile racing. Anything faster and you run out of gears, and any longer like road race, they cook. There is a use for both auto, and manual. The usage window for a fast auto setup is smaller than a manual.

Also the auto's break as well. I didn't get very many miles out of transfer gears.

I am still working on backlog of transmissions from March, and am in the process of building a shop and finishing some large long term projects. I am expecting around October to take jobs back on.

Evo 3 parts are still available but Evo 1 and 2 stuff is now gone. PPG and PAR dogboxes are still available, as well as faceplate dogbox transmissions for DSM and Evo applications.

When the shop is ready I will take on customer stuff again.
Defenally looking forward
I'm interested to get a quote on a faceplate Trans or PPG

As the parts become discontinued and the owner base becomes cheaper and more asinine in regard to spending money for quality parts, you're likely to see other vendors disappear as well. Sad but true- some DSM's are 25 years old at this point....Mitsubishi has no incentive to continue to supply new parts for a platform that they'd rather see disappear as we're not keeping them in business by driving our old junkers until the wheels fall off.

Why auto dealers love lease options, being it's a good method to keep stock in and out the door along with automakers keeping product heading out of the factories.

You don't know how many times I get offers to trade my 26 yr old Turbo Laser in at a much higher rate so I can return to debt with a new vehicle.

When a yard gets a busted up 4G63 turbo DSM, first thing that gets yanked out are the motor and transmission if the body got broadside or rear ended.

But, it's a way for both - the manufacturer and the dealer - to survive.

Sadly, those days of owning a vehicle since it was so well built and people kept them, are truly long gone.

I guess my trans and tcase was the straw that broke the camel's back :( Good thing I got it done 2 months ago before they stopped.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Jacks did my transmission (stage 2) last year about this time and I am just now getting the car together. I am sure I shouldn't have any problems but glad I got it done before this happened. Good luck Jacks, I appreciate the work and communication that you have given me in the past couple of years!

...the owner base becomes cheaper and more asinine in regard to spending money for quality parts...

Sadly, I think this is what it has come to with DSMs. The cars have become so cheap to pickup and the market flooded with cheap Chinese junk parts that the vendors creating good parts are sick of the community not understanding that you get what you pay for.

This is sad news as it seems that we are getting left behind the 8-ball when it comes to newer DSM'ers with big build ambitions. I am almost complete with my new setup and just as I suspected, Jack & Shep back out of DSM's. Not that I can blame them due to the unfortunate cheap crowd that the DSM game is attracting.
I came to the DSM world 8yrs ago and heard nothing but how "un-reliable" these cars are and how much of a pita they are to make real fast, NOTHING can be further from the truth imo. I learned that all the bs talked was from dumb & mostly rich kids that spend daddy's money for a big turbo and hasn't even changed the timing belt in 100K miles, use and abuse the sh*** out of these cars and complain when they break, along with those same people crying about needing a $2,500+ tranny when they hit high HP. Just like others have said you get what you pay for and if you want quality parts you need to pay up. So to those who choose to be cheap and ignorant, ruining the platform for the rest of us do us all a favor and go buy a Subaru.
To the rest of the real DSM'ers, especially the the great wise-men, moderators ect. on this site Thank You for all you do to keep us boosting reliably!!!:dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back