The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Jack's transmission rebuild extras

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didn't shed much light on any issues though.
Kind of a blanket statement w/o any facts to back it up. I'm very interested on what caused him to make this comment because I'm currently in the process of purchasing a used Jacks Transmission with the Ultimate Synchro Build for my 91 Tsi.

I am happy with mine. It has the torrington bearing/4 spyder dif, 1990 3rd/4th, double syncro 1st/2nd.
I have yet to open it to see what my 3rd gear issue is, but I'd bet it's a syncro or a ear on a shift shaft maybe. I'll crack it open soon since its cold and the cars are hibernating.
I agree with the shipping statements, mine was $130 each way and we are only 1 state apart.

I never like "just doing what some guy suggests" without some insight or info as to why.

After doing some research and investigating, maybe I can help shed some differences between builders...

Things I found that differ between them:

1. Gear detailing -
Looking at some pics on TRE's instagram you'll see that they really remove ALOT of material from the gears. Rounding the corners and smoothing out all the sharp edges.
TMZ does this too but not as much (looking at his pics on FB).
Jacks doesn't do this they believe it weakens the gears but you can get them to micro polish the gears instead.

2. 4 spider center diffs -
TRE & TMZ seem to have the same process in machining the housing for the cross shaft.
Not sure if Jack's uses the same measurements/process.
Also the cross shafts from TMZ are better in strength than machining a stock shaft - like Jack's does.

3. Gear preloading -
Each builder seems to use slightly different specs depending on the power level and usage of the gearset. Not sure exactly how much they differ.

Besides those 3 points I'm not sure what else are the big differences. If anyone knows please feel free to add.

I’m in the midst of putting in a TRE rebuild. I’m not building big hp, and told Jon that I wanted the smoothest shifting 90 5-speed possible that should still go for high miles. I know he did some extra detailing and shot peening (and glass beaded the case; soooo sweet). Wasn’t cheap, but I’m hoping to get what I paid for. he definitely sounded legit. I will certainly report the results on my profile when it’s running again.

Just a heads up you guys, all center diff housings, center diff covers, center diff pinion gearsets (upper, lower, 2x spider gears), and nearly every upper and lower oiling shim are obsolete. Plan on either having spare good used spider gears AND a complete good center diff to build a 4 spider, or plan on a welded center diff.

The 90 style 2-wing lower pinion oiling shims are completely obsolete. You can use a shim from a front diff pinion shim set, but those are obsolete too. For the 91.6-99 style lower shim, the #7 was still available, every other one was obsolete.

Pretty much plan on a welded center diff, or a PPG gearset with spool for the future.

Just a heads up you guys, all center diff housings, center diff covers, center diff pinion gearsets (upper, lower, 2x spider gears), and nearly every upper and lower oiling shim are obsolete. Plan on either having spare good used spider gears AND a complete good center diff to build a 4 spider, or plan on a welded center diff.

The 90 style 2-wing lower pinion oiling shims are completely obsolete. You can use a shim from a front diff pinion shim set, but those are obsolete too. For the 91.6-99 style lower shim, the #7 was still available, every other one was obsolete.

Pretty much plan on a welded center diff, or a PPG gearset with spool for the future.
Jon from TRE informed me of this last week. Get all the parts you can now.

Get what, there are no more new ones whatsoever from Mitsubishi worldwide. I have a few pieces hiding away and like 1 or 2 cross shafts which likely are at the end too.

We are essentially at the end you guys. PPG or nothing is essentially the remaining upgrade options.

I cannot build a comprehensive rebuild anymore. There are extremely limited gears and shafts for the parts that are not obsolete, all styles 3/4 hub and sliders are gone, nearly all shift rails are gone, etc.

I have some remaining stuff in limited quantities on my shelf of random stuff, and I can currently still get all of the parts to do a PPG dogbox with spool center diff without issues.

I have a bunch of the MD717879 speedo gears in stock because I machined a batch after they went obsolete so I can still do Quaife or KAAZ LSD front diffs.

I do not intend on machining the factory style gearsets, it is simply cost prohibitive.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back