The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

J pipe interference

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Installing a vrsf fmic on my 93 auto gsx, j pipe is hitting the front mount not allowing me to bolt to the 14b. Anyone else run into this? Hate to cut the pipe since it's nice.

Attachments

• 20200402_200014.jpg
    20200402_200014.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 133
  • 20200402_200024.jpg
    20200402_200024.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
Just cut the pipe or raise your turbo which is hell of a lot more work.
I'm using the stock J pipe on my 14b with my FMIC using the short route and it works perfect. It's only a 14b so you don't need some large straight flowing pipes.

Check the turbo position. Do you have the set pin between the turbo center section and the turbine housing? If you don't have it, loosen the coupling holder and then you can rotate the turbo center section to clear the roll stopper.

Check the turbo position. Do you have the set pin between the turbo center section and the turbine housing? If you don't have it, loosen the coupling holder and then you can rotate the turbo center section to clear the roll stopper.
Wastegate would not be lined up at that point since the 14b wastegate bolts to the front housing.

Wastegate would not be lined up at that point since the 14b wastegate bolts to the front housing.
That's why I said check the turbo position. His recent position may be wrong. Check the pic, the wastegate arm looks like curved a little bit.

Last edited:
Can the turbo be reclocked? I dont have a 14 in front of me but when I ran small frame turbos my J-pipes worked perfect for a front mount.

Wanna compair your pipe length to mine???
ROFL :shhh:

Can the turbo be reclocked? I dont have a 14 in front of me but when I ran small frame turbos my J-pipes worked perfect for a front mount.
If it's with an external wastegate, yes. And if the OP doesn't have the set pin between the center section and the turbine housing, he needs to set the position manually. The pin is sometimes gone when you remove the turbine housing especially if it's rusty.

It's just way too long. Simple as that. Check out my old j-pipe and look at the difference in length of the straight section:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I agree. Anyways looks too long. The pic is the VRSF J-pipe that I have.

ROFL
This is one of my spares.

This one is almost 9, I'll be going to a holset after the initial bugs are worked out on the 14b anyway. The tube getting shorter a few inches should solve the problem. Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back