The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G J pipe boost leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjamin1997GSX

Probationary Member
Nov 4, 2020
Athens, Georgia
So I've found a boost leak at the joint between the Turbo and the J pipe. Pulled it off and ordered a new gasket from STM. Installed it and it's still leaking. Bot surfaces have been cleaned thoroughly and the leak is a large one. Initially, I noticed some threads stripped on of the sides but I Retapped it and got a good amount of torque holding it down. Can't figure it out. Any ideas? It's almost like it has to be perfectly lined up and maybe it's slightly off. Doesn't seem to make sense since both bolts are threading and there isn't much wiggle room with them both in but it's the only thing I can think of. Anyone experienced this before?

A flange that isn't true will make it leak. Grab some Grey RTV silicone and put it on both sides of the gasket and reinstall. Let it cure and retest. I don't think a bit of RTV will hurt your airflow much but you definitely need to seal that joint.
I put Orange RTV on a BOV flange once, to keep it from seeping and that dam thing would have held itself on without bolts, the RTV worked so well. Of course it looked HORRID being ORANGE and on the charge pipe. That was quite awhile ago when I had some cheap BOV and the charge pipe flange wasn't absolutely flat.

A flange that isn't true will make it leak. Grab some Grey RTV silicone and put it on both sides of the gasket and reinstall. Let it cure and retest. I don't think a bit of RTV will hurt your airflow much but you definitely need to seal that joint.
I put Orange RTV on a BOV flange once, to keep it from seeping and that dam thing would have held itself on without bolts, the RTV worked so well. Of course it looked HORRID being ORANGE and on the charge pipe. That was quite awhile ago when I had some cheap BOV and the charge pipe flange wasn't absolutely flat.
I tried this with high temp gasket maker on either side of the gasket but it didn't seem to work. I may try it again. I was pretty conservative in the amount I used since I didn't want to much to seep into the pipe.

Check the turbo outlet flange and the j-pipe flange with a straight edge and see what is up. If the j-pipe isn't flat, you can fix that but if the turbo outlet is for some reason not flat, well, it can be fixed, but you have to remove the turbo from the car and file it flat, all while not getting any debris into the turbo.

As previously mentioned, the surfaces might be warped; likely the j-pipe. Take it off, check it for flatness and either file it down yourself or take it to a machine shop.
Had to improving but it looks like it's slightly off bolt to bolt ways by .15mm roughly. Top to bottom which is where it was leaking was planed straight from what I could tell

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back