The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

It's on like Donkey Kong....another RS+T thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bov should not be sucking in any air. That is a major vacuum leak and turns into a huge boost leak. This is most likely your problem. I would still pop off that pipe and feel to see if any boost is making it up there, you won't feel much but you should feel it pushing air.

also, you mant want to consider tapping your line for your boost gauge and your bov to the hose going to your wastegate actuator that I circled in this pic....

Attachments

• bov.JPG
    bov.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 345
OMFGROFLMFAOBBQPWNZORROFLCOPTERLOLLERCOASTER

XMasta19 = noobasaurus maximus

*NOTE* new intercoolers come with endcaps...remove before use *NOTE*

we took piping off before tb...no air at all
removed pipe right before fmic...felt air

decided to try and run unintercooled. as my buddy removed the ic pipe and was proceeding to take off the fmic, he looked inside one of the couplers on the end and began to laugh at me uncontrollably. the laughing spread as everyone in the garage started breaking into tears. apparently after not sleeping for 3 days straight and was getting ready to leave for work, I opted not to take out the endcaps on my intercooler...thus no boost. this was finally noticed after checking everything you guys were mentioning LOLz. the bov vac source was moved to the empty spot for cruise control, boost gauge is still on brake booster line, but will be tee'd into egr line tomorrow. my actuator arm came apart, so i gotta thread it back on tomorrow since it's too hot right now.

anywho, I boosted 9 pounds and it was SWWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTT :rocks:

EDIT: u can ban me now mods for being sooo newbarific ROFL

DSMcrazy3 said:
Congratulations you son of a bi***! Now I want mine!!! haha

apology in progress.....I'M SOWWY

Good job on noticing that.
This is lesson to all you future 420a turbo builders out there. This install does require enough sleeep to function properly and remember things like to take off end caps of intercoolers.

Good job once again.

XMasta19 said:
OMFGROFLMFAOBBQPWNZORROFLCOPTERLOLLERCOASTER

XMasta19 = noobasaurus maximus

*NOTE* new intercoolers come with endcaps...remove before use *NOTE*

we took piping off before tb...no air at all
removed pipe right before fmic...felt air

decided to try and run unintercooled. as my buddy removed the ic pipe and was proceeding to take off the fmic, he looked inside one of the couplers on the end and began to laugh at me uncontrollably. the laughing spread as everyone in the garage started breaking into tears. apparently after not sleeping for 3 days straight and was getting ready to leave for work, I opted not to take out the endcaps on my intercooler...thus no boost. this was finally noticed after checking everything you guys were mentioning LOLz. the bov vac source was moved to the empty spot for cruise control, boost gauge is still on brake booster line, but will be tee'd into egr line tomorrow. my actuator arm came apart, so i gotta thread it back on tomorrow since it's too hot right now.

anywho, I boosted 9 pounds and it was SWWWWEEEEEEEEETTTTT :rocks:

EDIT: u can ban me now mods for being sooo newbarific ROFL

Thats awesome man! We've all done stupid stuff like that. I'm glad you got it figured out.

MOTHER OF GOD

Well, here we go...

I put the wastegate actuator arm back together, but I seemed to have put it on a little tighter than it originally was. I finally got to drive her tonight, and as soon as we got on the highway, my buddy in his srt-4 running 18psi wanted to do a pull. Well, I broke them loose in 2nd, checked the boost gauge and saw 12psi, shifted to third and kept going and she was holding 10 pounds steady. I know I should have backed off but adrenaline kept me goin :shhh: I fell back at first then held steady little over 2 cars back all the way to 120 or so WOOT Well, shortly after I had white smoke everywhere, then mainly out of the exhaust. She made it to the gas station and we popped the hood :notgood: There was oil EVERYWHERE, after searching multiple threads ;) I seemed to have the same prob as most other guys. Oil from the valve cover through the breather filter and the pcv valve line which had a rip in it WTF She didn't wanna run in the lower rpm range without giving it gas, but I think that's cause of the rip in the pcv vacuum line. Once I got her going, she ran good. Still boosts ok, and turbo checked out good with no oil or messed up fins. Three of the spark plugs had a drop or two of oil, while another was basically drenched :barf: Another random thing I noticed was that my return line was burning up against my downpipe, kinda seemed kinked but not really. Almost melted through the line, but caught it before that happened. I'll be headed to Lowe's tomorrow to get stuff to make an oil catch can, and also checking out parts stores for valve cover gasket set. From what I've read all over, the white smoke from my exhaust most likely points to the headgasket as the culprit :confused: I hope it's little things and nothing really serious, cause she sure as hell was quick :dsm:OMG:thumb:

I appreciate all the help so far, and TIA for the help that is sure to come :rocks:

EDIT: pics and short vid.....
http://www.lownslowneon.com/upload/uploads/srtvsrseclipse.wmv

Attachments

• badnight5.jpg
    badnight5.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 270
  • badnight4.jpg
    badnight4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 272
  • badnight3.jpg
    badnight3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 274
  • badnight2.jpg
    badnight2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 275
  • badnight1.jpg
    badnight1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 273
  • badnight6.jpg
    badnight6.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 266
  • badnight7.jpg
    badnight7.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 276
Hey imediately check your compression, after a whole load of shit like that, dont' be surprised to see that your seals on the rings are gone, much less the rings themselves. Oil comiming up through the breather usually means that oil is coming from the crank case from around your pistions. When this happened on my car I could stil boost, but my compression was 70-170-170-70 from 1-4.
Just a note.

Compression test is definitely on the to-do list...gotta see what wifey says I'm allowed to spend today ROFL

my poor baby :(

XMasta19 said:
Compression test is definitely on the to-do list...gotta see what wifey says I'm allowed to spend today ROFL

my poor baby :(

Yeah I bet you didn't think the boost would get to messing with the motor so quick. I know when I bought my boost controller to turn my boost up to 8psi from 5psi, the way the tell you to set the manual boost controller I was boosting at about 12-15psi when I first got in the car. That was for about 2 secs. ONe for when I realized my bov sound really loud and much better, and 2nd for when I looked at the gauge on confirmed that I was about to f**k up my motor.

Keep it at or under 7psi for a while.

yeah it was only boosting like 9psi yesterday before the the actuator arm came apart, I apparently tightened it more than it was since it let me hit 12 pounds :toobad:

take a look at my profile and look at my piston pic. i bet yours looks like that too. the oil comming out your breather is passing your pistons. time to do a rebuild man. hope the 12 psi was worth the 1200 for forged internals :notgood: :barf:
good luck man.

Oh man... that sucks. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If its reading higher than normal your getting blow by from your piston rings, causing air to go into the oil lines...making oil blow out of the breather filter. I'm sorry man, thats exactly what happend to me when I first put my turbo kit on.

Also, about the return line. This is what I did. I bent a piece of steel pipe and used that where the hose would touch the DP. Works good.

Attachments

• 104-0412_IMG.JPG
    104-0412_IMG.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 646
Oil pressure gauge wasnt' reading higher than normal from what I could tell.
Time to head out to the garage and see what I can do for now :(

EDIT: I like what ya did with the return line, guess I might look into that :thumb:

Well....update time :|

Found oil in my exhaust, checked downpipe to turbo connection didn't see any. Fixed pcv valve line, and made a catch can for the valve cover crankcase breather. Put the spark plugs back in and topped off with oil. Started her up and she ran like ass, wouldn't even wanna stay on, so I had to keep little pressure on the gas....kinda hard to run on 2 cylinders I guess :notgood: Sat right above idle for a bit, then started to really see the smoke...out of the exhaust we saw some and then noticed oil oozing out from the hot side of the turbo and out of the downpipe connection there OMG Couldn't get a hold of a compression tester today, but it's definitely rebuild time :cry:

Attachments

• badnight12.JPG
    badnight12.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 239
  • badnight11.JPG
    badnight11.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 239
  • badnight10.JPG
    badnight10.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 229
  • badnight9.JPG
    badnight9.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 230
  • badnight8.JPG
    badnight8.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 240
  • badnight13.JPG
    badnight13.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 222
  • badnight14.JPG
    badnight14.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 229
  • badnight15.JPG
    badnight15.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 229
  • badnight17.JPG
    badnight17.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 235
  • badnight18.JPG
    badnight18.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 230
I'd double check and make sure its not the turbo first. You could have messed it up bad with those endcaps on the intercooler. My car ran like butt when I blew my turbo, I thought for sure it was rebuild time. Goodluck, but I think you might be surprised at that you just messed up the turbo! :thumb:

SnoopySLR said:
Oh man... that sucks. Do you have an oil pressure gauge? If its reading higher than normal your getting blow by from your piston rings, causing air to go into the oil lines...making oil blow out of the breather filter. I'm sorry man, thats exactly what happend to me when I first put my turbo kit on.

Also, about the return line. This is what I did. I bent a piece of steel pipe and used that where the hose would touch the DP. Works good.

Your EGT probe is in the absolute wrong place.

Haven't had a chance to pull of the turbo itself so see if the seals are phucked...but would a blown turbo cause me to have oil on my plugs? I gotta remove the turbo and check if the oil is coming out of the motor itself.

Seems like I've got myself some money for a rebuild and I'm checking on prices and what all I would want to replace when I have her ripped apart. Rebuild kit, headgasket, timing/water pump, valve cover gasket set, udp, and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

EDIT:

Howell Automotive takes way too long to ship everything. Exile Racing seems to be pretty backed up as of late. Modern seems to be pretty good, and I've got a buddy up here who claims he can get a discount :rolleyes: Concept Illusions has been earning their reputation, and I spoke with Shawn this morning and he's got rebuild parts in stock. He told me I would get some kind of discount for making a big multiple item order. So, we'll see what my buddy finds out from Modern, but it looks like right now I'll be going with CI.

800 I don't want to tap the manifold. I really don't want the probe to break and have metal flying through my turbine.. no thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back