The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Its been a while but IM BACK

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bNasty

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chantilly, Virginia
Hey everybody its been forever since I posted on here regularly. Some of you may remember my talon which is currently on the back burner right now (awaiting HOLSET :thumb:). But its been on the back burner because of this my truck. Some of you may know that I got this truck as a daily almost a year ago but has since turned into an all out build Its an 86 f150 an all out build with a 460 swap and straight axle swap in the front. I know this is not everyone's thing but I thought I would share it here and some people may like it.

First off ill start by saying that I know this is def not everyones cup of tea here and its something a little different, and that this truck is a ####ing turd but I love it and I love that I have the chance to finally build something American. As some of you may know my last build (which is still on going) was a Talon TSI AWD. For the people that are fans of this car dont worry I still have it and I have some good plans for it coming this fall/winter. AND THE BUMPER WILL FINALLY GET PAINTED! But I think deep down inside ive always wanted to do a carbureted v8. I just love how simple everything is, there is not real computer to worry about, and everything you need is right there in the engine bay. And ive always wanted to build a truck, ive done the low car thing and its time to finally do something where I can just run over whatever I want.

The vehicle is an 86 F150 2wd 302 AOD. Basically I picked up the truck pretty cheap and I said to myself I was just going to drive it. Well I really just could not leave it alone so I started messing around with it. I know its 2wd so lower it, but I really did not want to do the low car/truck thing again and the lift was pretty inexpensive so I did it. Got my tires on craigslist cheap and my wheels even cheaper. I did little things here and there like HIDs, firstik, 4"inch rough country lift, Plasti dipped wheels, CB radio, 488 gears and a detroit, pretty standard type truck stuff. And then I finally just decided that I wanted to do a serious build on here over the summer. I got really tired of getting stuck everywhere, even with the locker I got stuck in everything. Part of this was obviously because I was 2wd but the other part being that my tires blew dick.

Now for the fun part, the build. I decided finally that it was time to start collecting parts for the build. I picked up a 460 from a 77 Marquis, and have started to tear that motor down. My plans for the motor are 9.5:1 compression, Weiand Stealth intake, KB flat top pistons, Ported D3ve heads, Lunati 61603 cam and a holley 750 to cap it all off. Pretty simple build, wayyyyy less bs than my talon. The goal for the motor is to be a decent off roader but mostly for towing my talon and daily driving in Virginia Beach as well as Norfolk. Dont worry I have the 4wd problem figured out. Behind my 460 will be a stout big block c6 as well as a 205 transfer case. While a could swap a dana 44 TTB into the front of my truck like others of its generation. I dont like the way the independent front suspension is designed. The drop brackets for the I beams hang way to low and have a tendency to bend like i have already done when I ended up in a ditch in my truck currently. To remedy this I will swap a solid axle dana 44 from a 78-79 f150 or bronco. Which will give me a physically much stronger front end. Ill update this thread as progress continues currently im just breaking the motor down since its way to big to carry up any stairs as a long block. And im on the second floor of my apartment.

Enough words onto the pics sorry for the cell phone pics im trying to get a hold of a good dslr but for now my iphone will do

Here is my talon that is currently on the back burner just for now.
Build thread here ------> http://www.vadriven.com/forums/auto...turd-ford-build-429178/autom...-build-348433/
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And here is the truck the day I got her

Got some headers and just some cherry bombs in the back

Plasti dipped the wheels

Then I started on the lift and gears pretty standard stuff

And the finished product sitting on a flatbed since my starter decided to take a dump on new years day, the temp tags are on because I re registered the truck as an antique

And here are pics of the 460

BIG UPDATE

finally today after class I got the motor completely broken down. I decided that leaving it in the bed of my truck would be easier to clean up after I was done and boy I was right. There was a rediculous amount of sludge in this motor and it wend everywhere. It was a little hard to knock the pistons out but with lots of soaking in wd40 and smashing with the hammer they came out.

Im undecided weather I want to stick with the cast iron heads or get aluminum heads. I want this build to be cost effective and if machining the heads to what I want costs just as much as aluminum heads I would obviously much rather have aluminum heads. Well see hopefully at some point this month ill get the block to the machine shop.

MOAR PICJARSSSSS and yes im using instagram like a teenage girl

where I started today "clean"

ewwww

The sludge got everywhere

As promised here are more pictures of the axle (Dana 44, 3.50 gears, positraction)

should clean up nice

Warn locking hubs

Just some more updates. I finished up the rebuild on my holley 750 which actually wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I picked up a set of wheels real cheap to mount my 37s on, they are 15x12. Since the truck is dead I could only fit two wheels and tires in my moms sentra.

So i havent posted an update for a while so here it is. I got those 37s on my truck and they look awesome but are def wayyy too stuffed in the truck. We'll see what they look like when I get my 6 inch lift on there. I was really productive this week I finally got my pistons in. I went with a forged set of probe pistons instead of the KBs since the KBs were back ordered forever. I also went to pick and pull this week and pulled a 6 inch lift off this bronco I found. I cant use the the springs since I need different springs for the SAS but ill just sell them, but I will def be using the blocks from the rear. Today I finished up the short block im pretty stoked to put this thing into the truck its going to be awesome.

Cut the rotors off the dana 44 save myself some money since hubbed rotors are expensive :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back