The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Street Build ITFLYS - 1Gina2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy
803AAF9D-0434-4FDD-B009-43D2BA74C979.jpeg

Must not be public :(
Oops - not sure who can see it.

Copy Paste:
Every once in a while, an opportunity comes along that allows me to utilize the current 2023 Muellerized… resources on a type of project we did many of prior to being a formal company almost 19 years ago. Even better when the car owner is not only a dear friend. along with being the founder of 1Gina2G motor swap for the Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo community, and the first full time Muellerized… teammate when we signed our first building lease in 2004. Thank you, Justin, for being my first motorsport competition teammate after my 2003 hip surgery, helping us build the Mitsubishi Evo that won 24 consecutive SCCA races, and building many Mitsubishi corporate project vehicles with me all those years ago!! #muellerized #muellerizeddsm #muellerizedohlins #muellerizedteamwork #roadracechassis #roadraceengineering

348976473_1446745202748315_3440487408441227815_n.jpg349129931_294365049582894_7332088716861535334_n.jpg348664588_1238434170398740_4488299361410534880_n.jpg349114235_1612845979226078_4464805329734917541_n.jpg349192964_241152701938163_1569160252129181669_n.jpg349137873_2329302180583626_8595767423329539398_n.jpg

yes, yes, no, and John Freund created Pilink, which is the heart of the flatscreen onboard computer
For the record - Mike W (RRE) and John M were working together, while I was a shop rat at RRE. I just kept showing up to RRE to do stuff, and they kept letting me. My first "professional" driving experience (actual competition in a vehicle not mine) was a collaboration with Mike and John when I entered OTC (Open Track Challenge) I used my 2G the first year with an RRE sponorship, and then we used John's 1G we built after that. Those events formed a bond that holds to this day. Later John had me working on a client Evo that eventually sprouted into a new spinoff company out of a garage in the same culdusac known as RR Chassis. I worked for John as his shop manager and track side support for a time. I learned Motors on my car at RRE, and I learned Chassis and track support logistics working for John doing suspension install and alignment, and for the racing clients, I contributed with the electronics and whatever was needed. John then officially created the Muellerized...company at this time.

I had to stop working for John, and move north to chase my primary career, family, child etc.. I kept in touch over the years, and then the opportunity to work together presented itself when it became time to restore ITFLYS.

Last edited:
Oops - not sure who can see it.
Well thanks for the link anyway cuz even though it didn't work, I morphed it to this which gets his posts which I had never seen before. Lots of interesting stuff there:

BTW sometimes I want to just post an URL in here, just a live URL, and DSMtuners puts it in as a block of stuff like a thumbnail like it did here. How do you make DSMtuners put it in as just a normal blue underlined URL without all the thumbnail baggage? Anybody know?

Last edited:
The band got back together: Justin, John (OG), Chris (aka no1)
0C094602-D2BE-4FFE-8BA5-1AD186870EC3.jpeg

Justin, Chris (RRE OG), Tschumi (with a fuel can)
320C6340-BDCE-498E-A133-B216B98FCB8E.jpeg

What can I say, This is a winning team, and continues to be a winning team. These are my friends and they are the best.

There is a classic DSM adventure starting right here:
BDFC2574-E10D-41D8-A2AC-BEBDCC8DE452.jpeg

We fill a 5 gal can with E85 and top off with 4:1 91oct : E85, wave goodby, Turn the key - click, click - nothing - and I immediately hop out of the car and flag John down before he heads off, cause my battery wasn’t ready to say goodby. 😆

Classic start. We scratch our heads for a sec, then I remember the jumper cables in the spare tire, cause its a DSM. You ALWAYS have jumper cables in a DSM.

After a jump, she fires over like normal. check.

Voltage? - Yes I can monitor that on the dash, so I pull up that info layer, and start looking to see if the alternator is charging, 13.1v. Eh, not great. With AAA in hand, and a desire to leave LA on a holiday weekend before traffic gets uber bad, curious why the battery 🪫 went down so quick, we discuss options. I decide to go for it, charge on the road, and keep idle stops to a minimum.

On the open road its showing 14.1v. I phone John with the update, and settle in for a long drive. Glitch 1 - managed - or so I thought.
BA41293C-0260-4005-A960-1A0AC315F3C1.jpeg

LA exit was smooth, and at the I5 and 14 split it backs up (always) and this was no exception. After a bit of stop and go traffic comes the hill climb to the Grapevine. It is a fun place to drive a DSM, cause there is no problem accelerating and today we beat the rush. The road has lots of room to keep moving.

1st fuel stop was after the Grapevine, no issue other than sloshing a bit of fuel out of the E85 can. I decided not to turn off the engine as the voltage wasn’t holding 14v at idle - so that was a little risky.

Back on the road - the alt belt started squeaking some - hmm 🤔 played with the throttle and things quieted down, so off we go.

Whole bunch of nothing happened here - cruise control working, AC almost keeping up with the hot weather outside, and the ABS light steady on (no wheel sensors) That was bugging me after a while, so I pulled the lamp from the dash (while driving 😱)

Next stop, I got brave and turned off the engine - then started it back up again. ok. Another adventure with fuel cans, and pumping and that should do it to get home.

A short bunch of nothing happened here and I turned off the I5 onto I580 before Tracy. Less than 100mi from home, things quickly escalated.

-Clunk- thump - hey I felt that under my feet? a rock? and then a low volt indicator, 11v and dropping. shit shit shit - I’m running on battery and there is nothing but miles of concrete in front of me.

I’m now in my AAA tow range, but otherwise this part of the I580 Tracy bypass is a service stop desert. While considering my options, there was more squeaking quiet at first, then the frequency of chirp got more frequent and louder, voltage was fluctuating… great, so screwed.

Carplay - yeah - “Hey siri, navigate with WAZE to the closest Autozone” - 6 mi. Shit, I got to get off and into Tracy and decide where to become immobile.

It was the longest 6 mi, ever, with several long lights, in the opposite direction of where I want to go. Had to keep it together, no stalling, no fans, no ac, and the power steering seemed heavy but not gone. One stressful light after another, voltage still dropping - 9.2v, and it gets me to the store parking lot and it is open!

I circle the lot and parked in the shade, came to stop, turned off the key and got to work.

56E7AA83-6B4E-4391-8E4F-EA8B00348D36.jpeg

Opening the hood, found the issue - and was grateful to still have the long bolt and block for the alternator tension-er, found resting in place, riding on a loose belt 😗

I needed a bolt, wasn’t sure how long, and posted a bat signal here on DSMTuners:

While waiting for a reply post, I call my friend and DSM brother who has these parts laying around, Rich - He backs me up with a quick trip to his house to get me some info. 40mm got it.

I managed to locate a flange bolt (and lock washers) - Lock washer - cause the last flange bolt didn’t stick and I’m only fixing this once today. Auto zone has the tools - and will jump my car! so now the work of putting the tension-er back on.

The belt I had was intact, but too short to thread the bolt with the belt on. How did I get this on in the first place? After fussing with the existing belt for about 45 min, I ended up lifting the corner off the ground with the factory jack on the pinch rail, turn the wheel for access top and bottom, then take off the short belt and thread the bolt in first. I had a ton of adjustment on the tension-er I could use, but even at the minimum setup, I just could not get the belt back on - so back inside to get more parts.

Yes - they have a slightly longer belt! I'll buy that thank you - and back to it.

This worked - and worked like it is supposed to. Got the belt on, got the guy to come out with a battery tender so I could bump the motor once to make sure it was on right. Fired over ok, quick engine off, then tighten the belt.

As per Autozone parking lot usual - I repack the yard sale of a mess that comes from emptying a road trip of stuff onto the pavement to get to the spare tire well.

The rest of the way home - covered in grime, blacked hands on the wheel, no issues. The dash displayed great voltage, and an empty redbull can rested in the center console cup holder.

I pull in the drive, where I was greeted by my family and dogs - glad to be back home and ready for a shower.

spares
AB4E24AE-3976-4157-B5B8-5AAECE54C419.jpeg

spare bag upgrade
5BC5804A-E6D9-4B37-9747-809051CF87A3.jpeg

90279019-D8BC-4542-BE7D-E4FE53B0DB12.jpeg

B5427F6F-5584-4490-84F1-1617DCC82996.jpeg

Last edited:
I think this is telling me, the E3o2 housing is flowing, the Boost and Lean AFR relative to targets are cooralated. Previous to this mod, the tune was aligned, (richer). The current result is giving a WideBand factor of 10% Lean, so I'm going to start with a global fuel adjust - split the difference +5% and see what that does.
Screen Shot 2023-05-29 at 7.04.39 PM.png

About 25.3 lbs/min at that point. Jeez if you changed your airflow units to lbs/min I wouldn't have to use my 39 year old calculator to convert it!
Unless you just happen to like gms/sec of course. 🙂
I run gm/sec so I can convert to Kg/s and plot in an xl overlay on turbo maps - like this:
Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 8.59.05 AM.png

Ended up going a full 11% richer, and it wasn’t quite there yet, then I ran out of Injector Duty Cycle. Ah well. At least there is less knock, until I can put in something bigger.

I cut clearance/access holes in the rear strut tower covers with a hole saw:
64C08B2F-0EF2-49AB-B79B-279E5D925108.jpeg
156F4216-7559-4813-8E37-0A90F46784FA.jpeg

Gorgeous. This thing is gonna handle like a dream.

I honestly want to paint the Talon in Ford Tuxedo Black. It's what color my Edge is and honestly...obnoxious how much I love the color. Yours is mirror smooth though.

Gorgeous. This thing is gonna handle like a dream.

I honestly want to paint the Talon in Ford Tuxedo Black. It's what color my Edge is and honestly...obnoxious how much I love the color. Yours is mirror smooth though.

The handling is awesome - Best track prep that its ever had. I don't even know where the limits are anymore - so that will be fun to find next track day out.

The factory paint on my 95 was so bad it was recalled. You could see "puddles" and mottling under the clear coat. This car had a re-spray under warranty - even still, not great paint.

When I was asked what to paint, Mercedes 040 deep black was recommended due to Mercedes specifically engineering its own black - intended to be better than everything out there. I don't know Ford black - but if it was manufactured in the 2000's it's got to be better than Mitsubishi paint.

Last edited:
The handling is awesome - Best track prep that its ever had. I don't even know where the limits are anymore - so that will be fun to find next track day out.

The factory paint on my 95 was so bad it was recalled. You could see "puddles" and mottling under the clear coat. This car had a re-spray under warranty - even still, not great paint.

When I was asked what to paint, Mercedes 040 black was recommended due to Mercedes specifically engineering its own black - intended to be better than everything out there. I don't know Ford black - but if it was manufactured in the 2000's it's got to be better than Mitsubishi paint.

This is Ford Tuxedo Black. This is my actual Edge after a wash(and a two-stage polish job with a hilariously underpowered Chemical Guys Orbital DA). The metal flake it has under sunlight always has me seeing stars. But under less than bright conditions it's just a nice gloss black. Not bass boat style at all.

Ford Tuxedo Black.jpeg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back