The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Street Build ITFLYS - 1Gina2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last edited:
Yes - and two items for CarPlay if you have an iPhone. CarLinKit, and the license for the plugin for OAP.
I personally like this SSD for a little performance boost.
And if you need to send/receive CAN bus data with RaceCapture, you need an adaptor
Ooh sweet! I currently have a Samsung Galaxy A11 right now (LOL), so do these still work yes?

To ensure a robust configuration with all these options, I picked up a 12v powered usb3 hub that includes 3 - 2.1a power only charging ports. These are great for charging the keyboard and phone, and I’ll try one to power the 7” display.

When I plug BT and Keyboard dongals directly into the 3.0 ports, I get bad keyboard and joy controller response, noisy. The internet seems to think 2.4ghz devices interfere with USB 3.0 data ports so short extensions to increase the distance between the hub and dongals seem to be working.

Last edited:
I just tried CarPlay with an iPhone 5 with iOS12. This is and old phone. (What is current now? iPhone12 with iOS14? yeah) Old phone. but, its free, and I can mount it in the car forever. It has a camera, that records HD1080, 30hz. Hmmmm (she may yet be of some use to us)

My glove box is kinda overflowing with all the PiLink options added, and now with CAN bus and CarPlay - its time to try re-packing all the components into a single box. Not sure the connections are all going to fit in the radio void behind the screen, but I'll post progress here.

8671B6BD-4365-4F83-BC5B-3AA5B471BFEA.jpeg

A663726F-604F-45C3-9BEF-CF635BE96348.jpeg

Last edited:
This ribbon cable fits for HDMI-2
61034FF9-1200-4D8F-8B02-45970BF34EFD.jpeg

And... The in car testing is working. John helped with a iPhone specific Pitunnel issue, and I figured out I stupidly forgot that I had disabled the backup camera in the pilink.cfg file.
FC4BA104-58B5-400E-9402-D478603426BE.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm calling the box build done. Everything I can test is working. I need to drive around with everytihing logging in order to determine if there is anything left to work out. Right now, I'm tweaking the stereo mounting brackets. I will have enough room , but I needed to find the sweet spot towards the back so the box is deep enough in the hole in order to provide clearance for the flat screen and cables.

Been struggling with the CAN bus connection and Lua script on RC. Figured out I had incorrect color coding in the wiring connecting the Pi CAN bus DB9 to RJ45 adapter. After creating a temporary cable to make the correct connections, I ordered a replacement RJ45 adaptor to set it up so standard CAT5 cables will work. The Lua script is another thing - finally got the relay clicking from a RC txCAN() command, so now working to get a test track setup with a real start/finish zone so I can ensure the whole setup works before going to a real track day.

Running RC on a high resolution display introduces lag due to the video driver that the app is designed for. The developers are focused on running RC on devices or Pi3 run from command line as a dedicated setup (which is not what I'm doing). Shrinking the window size (or if connected to HDMI2) projecting onto a 2nd lower resolution display makes RC work much better. I also want to see if RC can "background" so I can put other controls on the flat screen while on track.

Here is a pic of my preferred way to launch on a single screen setup:
CE2AEBF4-7EE2-4FC9-ACA0-6317E80FA66D.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that RC is sending packets - and lots of them, my code is failing to address the volume. So two issues - start/finish detection logic is not working, and the send and recieve code is having unexpected false triggers. sounds fun!

Tested working running around the block (I'm sure my neighbors were less than pleased to see me circling the block many many times)
Anyway - It worked with the custom cat5 cable, and after I installed the corrected DB9 to RJ45 adaptor, it worked with a standard CAT5 cable. Sweet! Now why Race Capture podium put my "race track" in the ocean off the cost of Africa is weird.

Last edited:
Being able to share a dashboard via uplink to podium is an awesome new feature of Beta v2. Here is my homage to the classic look from v1 Race Capture predictive lap timer.
LapTimer.jpg

Last edited:
As a condition of its "non-op" to "regesterd for the street" rehabilitation - ITFLYS had to pass an annual SMOG (drug) test: Success on the first try.

SMOG_clip.jpg

This is California and anyone will tell you it takes attention to detail to make this happen.

Although - I do feel that an AWD 95' does have a little bit easier time than 2WD and later years. No dyno test (just a 2 speed no load test) It might be interesting to note, the test facility didn't want to connect to the OBD2 port as 95 is exempted from the ECU tests (news to me!)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back