The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Street Build ITFLYS - 1Gina2G

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FIAV coolant breach and drawn through by vacuum?
I'm leaning more towards something connected to the valve guide - I didn't find coolant on any other intake valve.

We shall see what the head machinist sees. I delivered both heads to him. He's going to test the one that failed, and see what he finds.

We shall see what the head machinist sees. I delivered both heads to him. He's going to test the one that failed, and see what he finds.
Yeah let's see what he comes up with, and for extra credit 🙂 I'm going to see what the Legit Street Cars guy finds with his oil leak at the head. His is also a 1995 GSX:

Legit Street Cars 1995 GSX blows head gasket (oil) on first run.jpg

Where's the HG?
This is what he has shown of it so far. You can see it best at 42:28. This vid was posted April 27. He hasn't taken the head off yet, or at least no video of that posted yet. The channel, videos tab, is here: LegitStreetCars.

Aw looking back at his older vids, it looks like the engine is original with a ton of miles and he's never had the head off of it. So the gasket was probably just something that was gonna go. His vids are fun to watch though. I'll still want to see what he finds.

Last edited:
Oh, the pain… the pain is real.

Pressure test on Head #1 failed, internal pinhole leak, not weldable.

Valve guide fell out of Head #2, does not think it is fixable.

Recommended finding a replacement head. Oh, ow ow, mo fu that hurts.
Shit.

I've got a nice, clean 1G head on the shelf you're welcome to. I believe it's un cut, too. No valves/springs, I had the machine shop hot tank it.

I picked up the head that burns oil, and here is where the valve guide fell out:
IMG_7208.jpeg IMG_7207.jpeg
I bolted the cyclone to the head and started playing with the brackets to see what doesn’t fit.
IMG_7210.jpeg

Two issues become apparent.
1. The coil pack runs into the brake fluid reservoir and AC hoses.
2. The manifold support bracket runs into the AC compressor
IMG_7211.jpeg

If I take those two items away, it looks like it will fit.

IMG_7213.jpeg

The fuel rail and regulator seem ok. I wasn’t sure the return fuel line would go with the cyclone actuator, but it will.
IMG_7214.jpeg

I get now why COP would be desirable

Last edited:
You may be the last guy using that manifold to block bracket. I did have to make a bracket to hold my coil pack to the cyclone IM, but aside of that I can't think of any hurdles.

Good time now to add an additional port or two off the plenum for MAP/etc/whatever the future brings. Unwritten rule there is not in-line with a runner and not the direct opposite of the throttle body.

And I'm sure you're aware of avoiding a head that has been cut down to the point of losing the little teardrop shaped spot around the headstud that doubles as an oil passage.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back