The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

It says Dodge...but it also says Mitsubishi...herm...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipperXX

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2003
Royston, Georgia
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Oh what's this in the back?

Let me tell you it was fun getting that engine out without any of the proper equipment too. Luckily like most DSM guys, I got creative.

And I still have all my 11 of my toes. :D

So here's a carbureted Serius engine. Complete with a Holley from a Ford 302 inboard boat engine... the amount of "afro engineering" as the previous owner put it on this truck is... well f***ing annoying! But whatever for $750 it's hard to complain.

I hear the political correct warning alarms sounding as I sit here..."politically incorrect...politically incorrect...politically incorrect" LOL.

Damn clean ride and cheap to boot! I've always wanted to start a mighty max/d50 or starion/conquest project but can never find any clean ones with no rust up in the north.

Probably going to catch some flak for this... But for educational purposes:

It's a slightly less offensive version of N***** Rigging.
I know what it means, and am aware where it comes from. So no matter how one would phrase it, it is inappropriate. But nice truck.

No matter how it's said, still offensive to some.

Captive import by Chrysler when they were in partners with Mitsu. Rebadged Mitsu P.U. given a Dodge D-50 badge.

Oh, that's the SOHC version of the 4G63 motor called the 63B

Also known as the wideblock 63. DSM's had the narrowblock. Guys in the Starquest world kill for that block b/c it bolts up to the OEM Starquest transmission. They are hard to come by. I'd love to find one myself and do 4G63 swap on my Starion.

EDIT: Sweet truck BTW!

Afro Engineering?

The previous owners words, not mine.

Probably going to catch some flak for this... But for educational purposes:

It's a slightly less offensive version of N***** Rigging.

No matter how it's said, still offensive to some.

Correct.

Captive import by Chrysler when they were in partners with Mitsu. Rebadged Mitsu P.U. given a Dodge D-50 badge.

Oh, that's the SOHC version of the 4G63 motor called the 63B

I guess they thought dropping the 4 and making the engine code only G63B would never be linked to 4G63? LOL I don't know if it's the wide block or not. But I have an extra and extra transmission now, so I'll be paying more attention.

Also on the way home today I stopped at a mechanic shop because I have been looking at a blue Mitsubishi Mighty Max that's been sitting there about a year. Looks like it's in better shape than this D50. Stopped and talked to the owner, he said "The only thing wrong with it, is a cracked cyl head...they all do it, look it up on'em".... ugh... okay.:rolleyes: Well, I noticed it's been sitting there about a year or so, how much do you want for it? "I haven't really given it any thought, I'd have to do some thinkin on that"... Okay, how about I stop by in a couple days, think you will have an idea? "Probably, I mean it's not doing me any good sitting there".

Yeash, this guys going to be fun. Not sure what engine's in it yet, but if it really only needs a cyl head this could be funny if it happens to be the 2.0L since I have an ugh extra that came with the truck. (Granted I don't know what condition it's in if it's even usable)

I bought one of those trucks brand new in 87. best car I ever had. 300k a d
The previous owners words, not mine.

Correct.

I guess they thought dropping the 4 and making the engine code only G63B would never be linked to 4G63? LOL I don't know if it's the wide block or not. But I have an extra and extra transmission now, so I'll be paying more attention.

Also on the way home today I stopped at a mechanic shop because I have been looking at a blue Mitsubishi Mighty Max that's been sitting there about a year. Looks like it's in better shape than this D50. Stopped and talked to the owner, he said "The only thing wrong with it, is a cracked cyl head...they all do it, look it up on'em".... ugh... okay.:rolleyes: Well, I noticed it's been sitting there about a year or so, how much do you want for it? "I haven't really given it any thought, I'd have to do some thinkin on that"... Okay, how about I stop by in a couple days, think you will have an idea? "Probably, I mean it's not doing me any good sitting there".

Yeash, this guys going to be fun. Not sure what engine's in it yet, but if it really only needs a cyl head this could be funny if it happens to be the 2.0L since I have an ugh extra that came with the truck. (Granted I don't know what condition it's in if it's even usable)
Hes right. These cyl head had what is called a jet valve. Starquest had it too. They are prone to crack. Mine never did but it is a known problem. I think its more prevalent on the 2.6.

Also....your vin tag says g63b which is the sirius line 2.0. The motor in the bed is the 2.6 liter g54b astra motor as evidenced by the siamesed exhaust ports

Also....your vin tag says g63b which is the sirius line 2.0. The motor in the bed is the 2.6 liter g54b astra motor as evidenced by the siamesed exhaust ports

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Oh the engine under the hood is fine, I have been driving the truck all week. Needs new valve stem seals, but near as I can tell, that's it. (and it's the G63B)

I'm pretty sure Pauley is correct ... that looks an awful lot like a G54B to me as well. But I don't think it's the 2.6L that was found in the Starion/Conquest (pic above). I'm guessing that's the 2.4L version they put in some of the Mighty Maxx / D50.

Either way it's great to buy a truck with a spare motor. There should be some markings on it somewhere.

2.4 should be a 4g64 and it wouldnt have siamesed exhaust ports. ? 4 should have been fuel injected also in 91 or newer I think.

I’m like 90% sure the second motor is a g63b. 4g54 and g54b have the oil filters right on the side of the block and are chain driven. It’s definotely not a 4g52 either. It’s got the water pump and timing components of a SOHC 63 from what I can tell, so I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. The deck height looks to be a 63 and not 64 as well. Check this out for reference http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml

Last edited:
Well this settles it.

I just realized since the the flywheel on the engine in the truck is missing teeth somewhere, (since it happens every once in a while I have to push the truck and pop the clutch to get it to turn past the damged area) I can probably just take the flywheel and or maybe clutch if its in better condition off this engine and toss them on the one in the truck! (assuming it's got all it's teeth)

New headlights

Also made a battery hold down at work on my break using scrap..so it was free. (I like free)

Took me about an hour to get the damn brake drum off banging on it with a go-devil and a propane torch! But finally success! Thing is, cables moving and I don't see anything wrong...adjusted the the shoes to the point any more and I can't put the drum back on. Soooo since the cable is out of adjustment as it's been adjusted to the point it can't go be tightened any further...the cable stretched??? *sigh* time to improvise? Or just buy new ones?

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Oh the engine under the hood is fine, I have been driving the truck all week. Needs new valve stem seals, but near as I can tell, that's it. (and it's the G63B)
Sounds like you need to source a cheap turbo engine loom, eeprom, and a DOHC head with a 2g manifold and a 14b/16g and have a 1 wheeler peeler/ drift pig (or would it be drift donkey since you can haul crap with it?)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back