The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Issues with initial start up...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storm720

Probationary Member
Jun 8, 2012
Pleasant Hill, California
I'm having a hard starting issue with my modified 98 GSX w/ 95 EPROM ECU DSMlink. It sat for a year with a dead battery, cracked ex. manifold and needing the clutch replaced. Once all those were fixed, I got it running and had issues getting the monitors to reset to get it smogged. It's now smogged & running, but rarely starts on the first couple of cranks.

It's random, but most of the time it takes 5 sec. or more of cranking and I have to feather the gas pedal from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to get it started. When it starts, you can smell the raw gas, then most of the time it runs just fine. But sometimes it sounds rough like it's running on 3 cylinders, then goes away and runs fine. When I shut it down, 50/50 it starts up normal or does the same thing. Never consistent and ran perfectly before letting it sit. I have over 300 miles on it since reviving it and it hasn't popped off any codes on the hand scanner yet, but the O2, HO2, catayst, EGR still says not ready.

The obvious to me is an electrical issue with possibly the coil, connections, ECU, DSMlink, settings or something else. But any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you much in advance.

Plugs, wires, coils, CAS, ECU, boost leak, Vac leak...the list goes on and on. Start your car up let it run for a second, then go through and pull off the injector cap 1 at a time, and see if you notice a change. If you dont you probably have a bad injector. Is your BOV recirculated?

Pull the ECU and check it for bad caps and what not.

Do a Boost leak test and possibly a vac test.

If all else fails do a compression test.

Thanks for options. I've gone through the basics, but you gave me some others I didn't think about. Thanks again.

I had a 1G some years ago and had real good results when I sent the ECU off to Motoguys Garage on Ebay, but they're not around any longer.

Is there another company that people on the forum have had good results from recently?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back