The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Is this timing correct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclipsemf

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2010
Glen, New_Hampshire
Im just getting my 7bolt put back together and when timing it this is as close as I can get the cam gears timing marks to all be aligned with each other. I just want to see if this is something with in the range or if I need to figure another way to get it to work!

ps where the strait edge is is where the timing marks on the outside of the gears
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This may help since you have the engine out of the car. If you look at the timing marks dead on, they should all line up across the top of the head where the valve cover would sit. This is a good help as well.

Also, looking at the picture, isn't the oil sprocket supposed to be lined up with the aluminum piece sticking out at around 10 o'clock? I know when my timing marks were not lined up properly, I could not get that mark to line up properly.

Also, looking at the picture, isn't the oil sprocket supposed to be lined up with the aluminum piece sticking out at around 10 o'clock? I know when my timing marks were not lined up properly, I could not get that mark to line up properly.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it should be if you have balance shafts but if you have a BSE kit its not needed from what I know

true.. I have teh BSE as well but it helps diagnose when you are a tooth off or less... I did it to my car so I have all timing marks lined up regardless.

Here is a picture reference I have for you.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/1585040-post14.html

This is of course from a conversation about how the 1G exhaust cam gears are the same gear and are interchangable. Therefore the outside timing marks may not align perfectly. The ones to be worried about are the center two.

Last edited:
When I was doing my first timing on one of these engines last year, I was told that the oil sprocket position didn't make too much of a difference since I didn't have balance shafts, as I see you don't either. However, I wasn't sure how true that was, so I lined it all up anyway. My current one I just had the balance shafts removed as well, and I'll still be lining up that sprocket again just to be on the safe side.

When I was doing my first timing on one of these engines last year, I was told that the oil sprocket position didn't make too much of a difference since I didn't have balance shafts, as I see you don't either. However, I wasn't sure how true that was, so I lined it all up anyway. My current one I just had the balance shafts removed as well, and I'll still be lining up that sprocket again just to be on the safe side.

Without balance shafts there is no need to line up the op sprocket. The marks are just there to make sure that the rear shaft is in phase with the front and crank. You don't need to do it to be on the safe side.

Also, the pump may have been lined up originally. But it won't line up again for a couple rotations. So it may be fine.

OP, is this how they lined up after you rotated the crank 6 times? Or was this how it was as soon as you put the belt on?

I rotated 6 times and everything went right back to aligned! I also put the harmonic dampener on and those marks also were right on! Look like I got it and ill see how she runs bu the end of the week!

Sound good crank by hand about 6 times and see where they line up, then you should be good to go if everything else is all good.

I would say that's probably about as good as it's going to get then.

It looks if you try to move either cam a tooth it will end up being just as far off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back