The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is this normal at high RPMs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KooK

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 7, 2002
Ames, Iowa
I'm just wondering if this is normal, when I'm hitting 6000 RPM, VERY shortly after the car lets out a HUGE power drain that pulls you forward a bit at WOT. I'm worried the valves are floating but I'm wondering if others have this problem and whats a way to fix it? New valves/springs/retainers? New Camshafts? Screw-it-just-go-all-out-and-get-a-new-valvetrain-and-why-not-polish-the-head-up-while-your-at-it?

Sounds like fuel cut to me.

I'd suspect a boost leak, perhaps.

I also had similar symptoms with a set of plugs that went bad (overgapped) much more quickly than I expected, though the stumble was much less pronounced.

fuel cut? he'd know RIGHT AWAY if it was fuel cut. theres no way to miss it. if he has a 14b those things drop off bad over 6k. hell, my 16g drops off at high rpm.

or that you locked the tranny or left your crank back on the highway.

My 14b never fell off at higher RPMs. It held 18psi through 7200rpm every time.

In this cold weather, it could possibly be the MAS reading too much air. This would result in fuel cut.

But honestly, how is your clutch doing? When my clutch started slipping it would hold strong in the lower RPM, then the car would fall flat on its face in the upper RPM around 6k at WOT. Might want to check into that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back