The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Is this high boost level normal??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romogst

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 18, 2002
YoungstownOH
Hi, to those with some experience on this subject, i would like to konw if this high boost level is safe. Today i just replaced my bov with the Greddy Type S and and my car went from 14PSI to about 18PSI without a boost controller. All i have on my car is a cat back system and K&N filter, plus the boost gauge and air/fuel ratio. Before installing my Bov i was running 14psi of boost max , after installed the greddy type s bov my max boost is reaching 18psi. Is this normal and safe?? Do i need to adjust my bov?

The problem is that the your wastegate is not opening up when it should. The blow off valve has nothing to do with that. You probavly have some vacuum lines hooked up wrong. Look under www.vfaq.com, there is a how to on installing the Greddy Type-S. The pictures are worth a thousand words. 18 pounds is alittle much without the supporting fuel. I do not really understand what you meant when you said you do not have a boost controller. If that means that you are using the stock setup, then it is broken and you need a new boost controller just get a manual for like 50 bucks. If you meant that the waste gate is just open, then getting the manual boost controller is very important. Bottom line is that you should invest in a controller and look to make sure that all the vacuum lines are where they should be. Hope that helps.

The vacum line is hooked to the top nipple (bigger one), the lower nipple is left open and the screw on the top i didn't do anything with it. All i say is that i use the stock set up and after installing the Greddy Bov my car's psi went from 14 to 18psi max. Is it safe?

The stock actuator is set at about 11.5 pounds. Yours is definately broken if it is at 14 regularly to begin with. 18 pounds is too high for your current level of fuel. You need to get a fuel pump at least.

I don't think anything is broken since all i did was replacing my stock bov with the Greddy type S. My car runs fine, i was just wondering if reacing 18psi at WOT is too much, i don't thing my boost stays up at 18 all the time.

Yes, it is a problem. It's not a good idea to run 18 psi on a car with your level of mods. You're not supplying enough fuel to support those boost levels. Check all vacuum lines and invest in an MBC. Install the MBC, turn down the boost, and you should be set.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back