The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

The Official "What's this DSM worth?" Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

he would not be selling a vr4 for that cheap just because it has a bad clutch. not to mention that has nothing to do with the starting of the car. it might need somthing else that is minor. or u could be signing yourself up for a head ache. i would'nt get it be patient other deals will come.

You might be right. I e-mailed him about it and he said the car starts, but doesn't run. I'm going to go take a look tomorrow and see how "minor" the problems are.

Drive the car. If the clutch is bad, it should slip. If there isn't any fluid, the clutch master might have a leak, but take a bottle of clutch fluid with you, fill it up and take it for a short drive. Even if there is a leak in the master cyl, slave cyl, or the lines, the fluid should last a few minutes of you driving it.

If the clutch isn't it, it might also be bad compression or a busted head gasket or something else.

I'm not buying or selling anything, just asking an opinion. Now I found what it looks like to be a decent 1999 silver GSX for sale not too far from me. The guy selling it is the second owner and is selling it for an asking price of $16,000 because he needs the mony for a down payment on a house. he got it a year after it came out from a guy who a $80,000 year paycut. The original owner had several cars and needed to sell one of them, he had a supra, mr2, and rx-7 I think. he used it for back and furth driving to work. One recall was done that was needed to be on the control arm 2 years ago. The car now has 47,200 miles on it. He sayed the condition of the car is showroom condition and everything functions correctly and oil was changed every 3,000 miles but the timing belt never replaced. Plugs and wires replaced 2 years ago, new tires and brakes about 800 miles ago. And there is a minor scratch on the drivers seat of the all black interior from a comb that was in the original owners pocket. he said that he was a detailer and that he had put 10-12 coats of paint sealant on the car. Now anyone can say anything but I'm gonna go check it out in person. From what he said does this sound like a good deal?

No, it's not a good deal. That's about twice as expensive as it should be.

Seriously, even a super modified car with fully built engine, supporting mods, big turbo isn't going to cost that much. You can do much much better. Again, that car is probably worth half of 16 grand, maybe up to 10k if you want. 16 is way way too high.

That car is worth about 10-11k all day long. Being stock makes it worth more. Having super low miles isnt going to make it cheap either. I have seen (2) 99 gsx's go for over 15 grand in my area both having less than 20,000 miles on them. Its worth that much because they are very rare not made anymore.

16K is an outragous price for a 99, U could find something else on the classifieds on this site. Why pay 16K for a car that is worth no more than 9K tops plus it has 47K, in about 13K more the timing belt will need to be changed. Im sure u can find something just as nice and for less money.

No, it's not a good deal. That's about twice as expensive as it should be.

Seriously, even a super modified car with fully built engine, supporting mods, big turbo isn't going to cost that much. You can do much much better. Again, that car is probably worth half of 16 grand, maybe up to 10k if you want. 16 is way way too high.

What about the supply and demand? I have almost never seen a GSX go for lower than $13,900. I mean 16,000 is high but compared to all the other ones going for 10,000+ I'd say 13,000, but that's just comparing with all the other ones I have seen.

Hmmmm crap. I wonder if GSX's are going the way of the Supras now.... :(

My friend has a 93 GSX that hes gonna trade me. It has a rebuilt motor with 0 miles on it. New clutch. The car currently dont run because he doesnt have the time to put it back together. So he wants to trade me his car + 2000 cash for my 96 gst. Both cars have high miles. But i figure with the $2000 i can make the gsx run pretty good and i always wanted all wheel drive. The car is extremely clean compared to any of the other 1gs i see. No rust on the body. Its a very clean car. What do you guys think?

ps. I wasnt sure where to post this so i just put it in here. Thanks

It's all personal preference really you're going to get so many different answers, but it's your car, you do what you want, if you compare the 2 side by side based on the facts without any pictures, seems like a good deal, you know the guy, equally high miles, you're giving up the 2g looks for AWD pretty much, which can be argued forever because of personal perference but it seems like a pretty good deal to me I'm on your side I would want AWD, Don't get my wrong I'm just a 420a owner so I'll take whatever is giving to me but if I could choose between the 2 it'd be the gsx, besides you can make some pretty clean looking 1g's. But how about some pics, of both.:thumb: :dsm:

LOL your going to get noob answers..

but to keep on topic, if its worth it to you id do it. 2k in a dsm can make u go pretty fast. but you would be loosing value in a 93 instaed of your 9(x) year 2g gst.

I havent been having any luck selling my car so. I see some clean 1gs going for a good amount of money.

LOL your going to get noob answers..

but to keep on topic, if its worth it to you id do it. 2k in a dsm can make u go pretty fast. but you would be loosing value in a 93 instaed of your 9(x) year 2g gst.

That is true, but regardless..you're going to have to resale it if you ever do privately anyways because no dealer would give you anything for it and here we go again with the personal preference he should get the car but for the love of the car because if anyone bases getting a car on resale value, especially our cars..they're insane. Nobody on this forum will get anywhere NEAR what they put into it, back. But if in any case you DO think highly about resale values I'd say stay then because he's right even though the mileage is relatively close you're still going to have a better resale value with a 2g.

EDIT*** nice, now that I saw pictures I'd have to say keep your car...but again, that's just me.

Im not dissagreeing with you but i see midly modded 1gs going for a nice about of cash. Im just gonna do simple things with the $2000 like turbo, front mount, dsmlink, fuel and exhaust.

Im not dissagreeing with you but i see midly modded 1gs going for a nice about of cash. Im just gonna do simple things with the $2000 like turbo, front mount, dsmlink, fuel and exhaust.

Damn, you better be thrifty and use Ebay. ;)

Personaly I'd keep the 2g... then again I love a white 2nd gen, all it needs are euro tail lights and a whale wing and that is hot, but thats my opinion. :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back