The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Is this broken? and couple other questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattp_65

Supporting Member
Aug 16, 2004
Granite Falls, Washington
Hello,

I don't know if this part is broken. I started to replace my center diff and when I pulled out the 5th gears and fork and in the center came out these two pieces (bearing, rollers ??? right side on the 1st two pics).
But they dont look broken, it looks like it is suppose to be like this.
Can you please help?

Also when I pulled my center diff it looks like it has the 4 spider gears but the bolts that I had to remove to get to the spider gears were allen head bolts and there is 12 of them instead of the usual 8 reg. bolts.
I have bought this talon in 2004 and I don't have any history of what the previous owner did to this vehicle. Who makes this spider gears back in 2004 or previous?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

• Photo0093.jpg
    Photo0093.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Photo0094.jpg
    Photo0094.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Photo0095.jpg
    Photo0095.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Photo0097.jpg
    Photo0097.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 247
That bearing is not broken, it is supposed to be in two pieces. I don't know about who made the 4-spiders back then.

Was there a reason you were replacing that center diff? Were you having issues with it?

Well I had a strange noise coming from the tranny when I turned very slowly so I assume it was the center diff but everything looks fine and I did not know it has 4 spider gears. Also when I removed the trans cover and found out that it has a VCE (viscous coupling eliminator) so I think this was the clunking noise when I turned, so now I have to get a viscous coupling. Probably from TRE.
thanks

i would check with TRE it sorta looks like mine

Does yours have 12 allen head bolts that holds the diff in place?
thanks

Well, that is not an OEM center differential -- offhand, I do not know who makes it -- are there any markings on it?

As for the 5th gear needle bearing, it is supposed to look like that.

Ok I just found out that this center diff was made by KAAZ.
Putting everything back together so wish me luck and hopefully it was jus bad tranny fluid making the noise.

Does it use clutches in place of the VCU? If so, the noise you hear might be normal.

Thanks jack! But it does have clutches in place and it is normal just got worst because I used some bad or low gear oil or a combination of both so I switched to Redline MT-90 with friction modifier and what a difference. Very minimal clunking but I think it is even better than before.

Thanks for the help guys, so basically I pulled the center diff out for nothing but figured out that I have a VC eliminator with a KAAZ center diff installed in my Talon.

when you say mt90 with friction modifier is that already in the mt90 or is it somthing you add to the fluid? If its somthing you add what is it called? who makes it

when you say mt90 with friction modifier is that already in the mt90 or is it somthing you add to the fluid? If its somthing you add what is it called? who makes it

Yes MT90 has friction modifier added but I added a small bottle made by Redline for break-in/friction modifier for the KAAZ center diff.
Bottle is about 12 oz.

I have a VC eliminator with a KAAZ center diff installed in my Talon.

If you have a VCE the KAAZ center diff is a moot point. The VCE locks the output shaft to the center diff so it can't 'differentiate'. Those clutch plates aren't working at all. It's pretty much the same thing as a welded diff. That's why you feel the skipping on tight turns.

Put a Viscous Coupler back on it so that KAAZ can do what it's supposed to.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back