The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is this a good car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dt15

Probationary Member
Dec 26, 2015
Springfield, Missouri
Hey all, Ive been looking for a new car for a while now. I found one in Arkansas (I'm in Missouri) and I'm just curious if it's worth my time to look into, and if it will be reliable for me. I'm in college and driving home 3 hours every so often. It won't be a daily driver for me, and once summer hits, it won't even make the trip every time because my wife will have a new car and we will take that. Down below is the craigslist ad, and I can include extra info if needed. I've asked a lot of questions and I've probably annoyed him. Thanks for the help!

https://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/5338910266.html

I don't mind the primer, he said the engine has 85k, the tranny and body have 100k. He's rebuilt the engine with lots of aftermarket parts, he says it doesn't leak or burn anything, and he's had it garaged for months because he doesn't have time to drive it due to his work and family. He said he drives it every so often and everything has been kept up with, he drove it 3 days ago from my original post. Are there any questions I should ask, anything to look for if I test it, any reason I should steer clear? I don't need to buy a new car, so you won't break my heart.

Ask if it has Link and if you can see a log. Look for excessive knock during WOT pulls. Test drive the shit out of it before you purchase it. If the owner doesn't let you drive it for a reasonable amount of time, he might be hiding something.

Also ask for receipts of everything and if there isn't receipts, walk away.

Ask if it has Link and if you can see a log. Look for excessive knock during WOT pulls. Test drive the sh** out of it before you purchase it. If the owner doesn't let you drive it for a reasonable amount of time, he might be hiding something.

Also ask for receipts of everything and if there isn't receipts, walk away.

I apologize, what is the link and log, as well as WOT? Receipts are good, I should've thought of that..
What's the purpose of having receipts though? For warranties or what?

I apologize, what is the link and log, as well as WOT? Receipts are good, I should've thought of that..
What's the purpose of having receipts though? For warranties or what?
Link= dsmlink (ecmlink) (used to plug in a laptop to tune the ecu)
WOT=wide open throttle
Receipts are good for proof of modifications, I could tell you my engine is fully built how would you know its not?...
The CL post has a picture of the interior with a SAFC (super air fuel controller) it is used in parallel with larger than stock injectors
If it has a SAFC then theres a 99% chance it does not have dsmlink
The BOV is also not recirculated, rookie move when running a stock maf.

Are
Link= dsmlink (ecmlink) (used to plug in a laptop to tune the ecu)
WOT=wide open throttle
Receipts are good for proof of modifications, I could tell you my engine is fully built how would you know its not?...
The CL post has a picture of the interior with a SAFC (super air fuel controller) it is used in parallel with larger than stock injectors
If it has a SAFC then theres a 99% chance it does not have dsmlink
The BOV is also not recirculated, rookie move when running a stock maf.

Are these things that would turn you away? Should I leave it alone? Are these things that aren't a big deal that I could do if I got it?

He doesn't have receipts. That's a complete turn off? He sent a picture of his SAFC, his gauges on the dash and around it, and his stereo

Here's a few pictures of engine and stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 58
Bottom line, 20 year old car. Might be ok. Probably will need an infusion of one or two thousand bucks to keep it reliable the first year. If you aren't well versed in vehicle inspection, I'd suggest it go to a mechanic for a compression test and basic safety inspection including suspension, bearings, and such. This is only after you've test driven it and think it's acceptable. Mechanic should be $200 or less to inspect, but could save you thousands, or your life.

You seem new to DSMs so I'd advise to look for a cleaner less modified car. There are somethings that will need immediate attention (like the bov) and without receipts there is no telling what parts are in the motor. Or how well it was built. Can you post the mod list? I'd bet a few of the parts came from ebay, which usually doesn't bode will for reliability.

I assume that's a gs. An egr is a super simple repair on any DSM, so the fact its not done means stay away.
Hold out for a bone stock GST,GSX, Tsi, or TSi awd. If you're new to this scene the last thing you should be buying is a modded car.
Don't waste your time or money on a non turbo DSM.
I don't care if you get a cherry 4g63 from the original owner. Plan on dropping 1-2000 on basic repairs and minor upgrades off the bat.

If you really want a dsm then you need to be prepared to be patient and wait for the right deal. Patients will always pay off, in the mean time browse this site and educate yourself about these cars. Buying one of these cars requires being able to wrench on them.
This link will help with the searches since you are willing to travel
http://www.searchtempest.com/

I bought my first gsx and got 87 miles on it before it sat for a year. Don't be me! You better know what you're doing or have the cash to pay someone to fix it whom you know is a reliable dsm mechanic.

Just saying, BOV isn't recirculated, ebay tubular manifold, fuel pressure reg just laying about in the engine bay. It just looks like another dsm hack job..... be very careful I bought one like that 6 years ago and I've been going over this guy's hacks ever since......

Agreed with a lot of what's said. Hold out for a good car OR if there's a dsm'r in your area that's willing to help you out by taking a look at it with you then you can go that route as well.
Just try to avoid modified cars or cars that need to be put back together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back