The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Is there anyway to test an ECU?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsiawd90

Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2017
Houston, Texas
I have recently installed a new engine. I am not getting any spark and there is no voltage going to the injectors. I am assuming the ECU could be defective. Is there any way to test the ECU?

Anywhere else you think I should look?

Fuel comes out of the return line.
No start, No spark, tested injector plug and no voltage.

You can open it and inspect it. Do a search and you’ll see pics of leaking capacitors and burn drivers. Or, you can sent it to ecmlink and have them check it. IIRC they charge $35

Not sure what else goes bad with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had a bad ecu if you want to see what capacitor leak looks like. I messaged ECMlink about it and never heard back if they could repair it or had any in stock or anything else.

I pulled it out and looked, the capacitors had been replaced but I don't know if the ECU ever worked. I did not notice any leaks, there was still some residue on the board. I have not had this car running since I bought it.

A very basic test of the ECU is to turn the key to ON and observe the check engine light and the factory boost gauge. The check engine light should come on and stay on for around 5 seconds and then turn off. The factory boost gauge should go up to approximately 1/2 scale and stay there. A failure here could also indicate a bad MFI relay or main fusible link.

The ECU does not control 12 volts to the injectors. This is supplied by the ignition switch as is 12 volts to the ignition coil and power transistor.

Does the motor turn over? What happens when you turn the key?

Motor turns over but no start. I have fuel to the rail. I didn't see any spark.

I am going to check fuses and the MFI. I'll try the basic ecu check today as well.

A very basic test of the ECU is to turn the key to ON and observe the check engine light and the factory boost gauge. The check engine light should come on and stay on for around 5 seconds and then turn off. The factory boost gauge should go up to approximately 1/2 scale and stay there. A failure here could also indicate a bad MFI relay or main fusible link..

The car is doing this check engine for 5 seconds and it goes off boost gauge goes and stays halfway.

I did clean the board with a little alcohol but it made no difference.

Still no spark.

I think my issue is going to be a coolant temp sensor or the CAS. I'm going to try testing these tomorrow.

I'm going to pick up a spare ECU and try it tomorrow but I don't think that will fix my issue.

CAS was installed correctly?

When you say 'no spark', how did test it?

Not sure if the CAS was installed correctly. I need to look into that. I was going to take it off put the key in the run position turn it by hand and check for spark.

Also I have the coolant light on when the key is on so I am suspecting the coolant temp sensor could also be an issue.

I put a spark plug in the plug wire and put it on the exhaust manifold.

I'm going to double check, I could be off 180.

I should still have spark even if that is the case though. I'm planning to test all the wires. I have another cas somewhere, if I can find it I'll try swapping it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back