The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is there a short shifter for a '90

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanks for trying but that doesnt help. anybody with an actual short thhrow(91-94), please give me some input.

Just buy a used shifter 91-94 and some 91-94 shifter cables, then get the pilot short throw. I am using a 92 shifter/wcables in my 90 car, with a greddy shift knob and I like it.

*not using the short shifter*

not quite sure what you mean- i already have a 92- but doesnt the short throw replace it completely? are there any issues witht the pilot short throw? does it feel better/tighter?

ive got a skinny knob on mine and i cut it down a lot, i had to shave the shaft a little and pound the knob on it, ive had it like that for years and it still is great i must have dropped like 2-3 inches, the grommet on my boot is WAY down in there all my friends are like damn this thing shifts great, the throw is so munch shorter, that and i reccomend doing teh shifter bushing base mod and the bearing mod on the trans PM me with any more quesitons

hey, i think the 90's must be longer or something(not in throw) with a 2g knob if i cut mine an inch it would be to short for my liking, it would be too weird, being short and having such a big angle to travel.
but the bushings helped a lot, and so did syncromesh, im just trying to make this as good as possible-i love shifting

To Jerome and anyone else interested: Dogbox Racing has developed a new short throw setup at a reasonable price about $120. It not only shortens the throw, but also prevents shift fork breakage by limiting the throw and works/feels incredible... no bs. you will need to send in your core linkage for the short throw assembly. The website is under construction, email [email protected] with questions.

i like your car profile- i wish i had all those goodies :D
j/k
thanks for the info- do you have one personally?

I'm interested in making/buying a short shifter soon, has anyone had any experience with just hacking the stock shifter like the picture below (the far right is the shortened stock shifter)

Attachments

• shifter-diffs-06.jpg
    shifter-diffs-06.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 338
umm i have a discontinued short throw shifter kit ( i think it was MMI racing, not positive or making any claims)

i got a '90gsx and it shifts incredibly short, i let a few friends drive it once (never again) and they were putting it in gear when they thought it was neutral :p

i think it improves shifting incredibly, and with the act2600 clutch and act flywheel, my trans shifts perfect, i can bang out every gear fast as hell

and to prove i got it...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

alot of people that see the shifter only in pics say its WAY to low but actually, its perfect because the armrest is the perfect height and i wouldnt want it any higher.

I was wondering if there are any cheap shifter mods that I, a novice mechanic, can do over the weekend. I already plan on getting a shifter from a car from the junkyard and cutting it down.(So it looks better) What other things can I do to improve shifter feel and such. Any help would be appreciated.

~Andrew~ :laser:

you want to improve feel,

metal shifter plate bushing
metal linkage bushings,
polytransmount and engine mounts,
new shifter cables and housing or lube yours,
check to see if the bell crank is loose at all.
rebuild your shifter

Shifter feel is important. And I will take all those into consideration. But what I am also looking for is anything that might decrease shifter throw distance.

I changed the cable mounting points at the tranny and shortened the throw by about 50 percent, on top of all the things xcamaro owner stated. Theres a how to about it in vfaq.com .

i am not a big fan of changing cable mount points, but hacking that shifter and rewelding is a great start. and cheap

i have a pacesetter short shifter on my 1g

Where did you get it? How much? Is it a good improvement over stock?

Pilot motorsports shifter is amazing. Actually reduced throw, it isnt just a cut down version. Replaced basically the entire shifter. Some places want 190 for this shifter. www.speedycarparts.com has it for 89.91. Best 90 bucks i have spent. Gave a rock solid, and SMOOTH feel to the shiting in the car. Highly recomended!

I would suggest short cutting the stock shifter. Great improvement.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Seems like a pretty good deal to send in my shifter and get it cut modified by someone who has done it before. But my car needs to be driven every day. So what I think I'll do is get a complete shifter assembly from a junkyard. Take out the shifter arm, or what ever it is that he needs. And put in mtal bushings and new cables. Basically a shifter rebuild? Only with a shorter arm? :confused:

P.S. fertez_turbo I love your rims! I'm hopefully getting those on my Laser this summer!

Laser93Nash said:
Seems like a pretty good deal to send in my shifter and get it cut modified by someone who has done it before. But my car needs to be driven every day.
You can buy one for $65 bucks, put it in, and then send him your old one and he will send you $15 bucks back, so basically youre spending only $40 dollars.

P.S. fertez_turbo I love your rims! I'm hopefully getting those on my Laser this summer!
Thanks! :thumb: Be sure you get some pics when you get them.

I'm not saying cutting isnt a good deal, but I have driven my car with a cut down shifter, and then with the pilot motorsports. First off, the cut down is still the same rough notchy shift. Also, this DOES NOT shorten the actual throw. The pilot shifter actually shortens the shift throws significantly. So it does not only look shorter (like a cutdown) but it is actually a shorter throw allowing for faster shifts. And the shifter is sooooo smooth I thought I was driving a honda (w/bg synchroshift and symborski kit). Its your money, but I think its worth the 90 bucks easily. It is an ACUTAL short throw shifter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back