The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Is there a short shifter for a '90

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I cut a large section and rewelded my stock shifter and it feels really nice and it is definately a shorter throw. It seemed to stiffen up the shifter feel to. :talon:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea is to modify a Galant shift lever to use in a T/E/L shifter base.

Why not just use a complete shifter from a Galant?

Morphius said:
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea is to modify a Galant shift lever to use in a T/E/L shifter base.

Why not just use a complete shifter from a Galant?
i believe you could do just that. but i wasn't about to look for one. but then just tweek it as said.

as for cutting it down, theres a difference between short throw shifter and a short shifter. i've driven a cut down shifter and think if feels ghettofabulous :rolleyes:

to each their own.

Dude spoken from experience. dont bother with the cut off homemade crap it aint worth it. that not where your losing the distance anyways. the distance is lost when the pivot point is moved up and then the shaft is shortened to compensate for the higher position. i bought a b&m knock off. supposedly ralliart short shifter. LOL. well its the shiznit. honestly i would do it again in a heart beat. you have two holes for two lengths and i have it on the longer setup and it is way shorter just haven't had the time to shorten it up more. pay the thirty bucks and dont worry about it again cause it aint gonna break unless you are doin some mad shifting and then i would be more worried about the tranny or your arm breakin before the shifter would. LOL. So knockoff all the way. hands down no competition. theres is literally no difference in the shifter. :thumb: go for it

He drives a 90, not a 2G, the B&M Clone will not work for him.

This has been said 5 or 6 times now.

I am wondering if anybody makes a short shifter specificly for a 90 tranny since i know they are a little diffrent.I know about the vfaq mod,but that seems like to much trouble for a short shifter.Should i just chop it?or leave it be?

speedy13 said:
I am wondering if anybody makes a short shifter specificly for a 90 tranny since i know they are a little diffrent.I know about the vfaq mod,but that seems like to much trouble for a short shifter.Should i just chop it?or leave it be?
on the vfaq they do a compairson, there is a guy mentioned in that who you can email who sells a short throw shifter. this is not a chopped one. read through the article where the talk about changing shifters, in there shifters will be compaired, at the end they show chopping a shifter. after all of that, there is an email contact. i got mine through him and like it a lot.

I've been driving on my "chopped" one now for five years and it's wonderful. Forking out $100 for a shifter that you can mod in one hour is my definition of "too much trouble."

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

i've driven 1st and 2nd gens with chopped shifters and i personally don't like the way they feel. I prefer and actual short throw shifter over a short (chopped) shifter. with the shifter i mentioned it can be chopped down if you want. i'm also running full brass bushings and a 2g knob since its nice and heavy.
but for some it maybe best to chop and put money else where. i like the stock height with a shorter throw.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back